Light wheels can accomodate Veloflex 700x22 tires?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

athletic

by athletic

I have a Viner Pro Carbon F3 bike came with Caesar wheelset, couldnt find the wheelset's specs though.
While riding on Conti GP 4Season 700x25 tires, I had no problem but after I bought,
Veloflex Master 700x22 for the front
and Veloflex Record 700x22 for the rear to shave some weight, could not put them on my wheels since wheels seemed either wide or had a bigger diameter for these tires.
I had to take it to the bike shop and even they had hard time while putting those tires on. They could put on though but I have been worrying about what if I have a flat tire during my long rides way far from my house. Because I'm sure I won't be able to even take the tires off the wheels and put them on back.

So I felt I needed another wheelset would work for these tires. On the tires' boxes, it says "622x13 wheels can accomodate".

I'm looking for wheels;
1) Only Clincher type
2) Cheap as possible
3) Climbing specific means as light as possible for the money
4) Can accomodate these tires easily (622x13)

Which wheels would you recommend for this case?
Thank you for your help in advance.

DMF

by DMF

Some tires are more stubborn than others, ALL tires will stretch a bit when mounted for some time (couple of weeks), and will then become easier to mount/dismount. I agree some specific tire/rim combinations are extra stubborn, but really, as a cyclist one should learn just to deal with it. Buying new wheels everytime this occurs will become very expensive, very fast.

There are different rim tapes that affect how difficult it will be, using velo plugs probably being the easiest for mounting tires and thick cotton rim tape making it the most difficult.

There is a fair amount of technique to mounting tires, honestly many bike shop mechanics haven't got that skill perfected either. Google and practice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

So you're looking at buying new wheels in order to keep the tires? Why not sell the tires and buy other ones? :lol:

Anyway, technique has a lot to do with it. I'm pretty good at mounting tires and can get most tires on without levers. Long time ago I used to work in a bikeshop. One time I had a customer complaining about his tires. He said they must have been the wrong size, because he broke several levers trying to mount them. I was able to get them on without levers... There were several customers watching, so that was pretty cool :mrgreen:

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

The veloflex will be a lot easier to mount and dismount after a few miles, I run the 25mm veloflex on pacenti sl23 and it was about the most challenging tire to mount up the first time. they have about 200 miles on them and I can now take them on and off without using a tire lever.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Practice as it all in the technique. I can even put marathon pluses on most rims without the aid of levers. My fingers may hurt a bit afterwards but they go on.

eric

by eric

Get the tire warm- either put it out in the sun or in the clothes dryer on low while the spouse is not looking.

Use the thinnest rim strip you can find. Rox ultralight is the thinnest I know of.

athletic

by athletic

Oswald wrote:So you're looking at buying new wheels in order to keep the tires? Why not sell the tires and buy other ones? :lol:

Anyway, technique has a lot to do with it. I'm pretty good at mounting tires and can get most tires on without levers. Long time ago I used to work in a bikeshop. One time I had a customer complaining about his tires. He said they must have been the wrong size, because he broke several levers trying to mount them. I was able to get them on without levers... There were several customers watching, so that was pretty cool :mrgreen:

Yeah, it sounds silly but I am not going to use the 700x25 Conti's anymore and even already bought 3 of Veloflex Record tires, to use them in the future :)
We'll see, I've been riding 50k/day since I started to use Veloflex's, hope it'll be like you guys say :)

Oswald

by Oswald

Ow, I misread... you are using Record?
You can expect a bunch of flats if you're not riding on perfect pavement...
I prefer Arenberg/Roubaix. The weight penalty is minimal, but the increase in puncture protection and comfort is big.

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

Why not just fit a Conti GP4000S (or 4KS2) with 23mm front and 25mm rear? That would be as light a combo as you would ever need for racing, as tough as you require for winter, and you can stick with Conti sizes that suit your current wheels. The 4000S and S2 are higher-performance options than your GP 4-Season, but they are tough enough to last the winter and take you well into the race season.

I've ridden Veloflex models and GP4Ks backed with latex tubes, and the feel is too similar to allow for meaningful contrast of their qualities on dry surfaces. In the wet, it's very different; the Conti is better. That's a worthwhile consideration on a winter tire.

You'll wind up spending far less money than if you buy new wheels *and* persist in using fast-wearing Veloflexes on winter roads. All GP4Ks are race-worthy, and you can get 90% of the Veloflex "feel" just by adding latex tubes. Get the Vittoria tubes with the removable valve core, and you can bring some sealant along for the ride and fix at least half of your flats without having to dismantle your wheel on the roadside.

-Tim

Oswald

by Oswald

On perfect pavement, the Veloflex are hard to beat. But on winterroads, you will get some flats. I remember some guy in our group flatting on average 2 to 3 times on his Veloflex Black tires during every 4hr long winter endurance ride.. I was riding Conti's then and was pretty pissed off having to wait for him.
I myself also used the Blacks, but only during summer rides.

legs 11

by legs 11

2-3 times every 4 hrs!! :?
Dude, I'd rather ride solo than put myself through that? Why on earth would you ever do training mileage on a tyre like that??
Pedalling Law Student.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

GP 4000s are not tough for winter in suffolk, I have been killing my 4 seasons and have had to switch to gator skin hardshells to keep the puncture fairy away.

Oswald

by Oswald

legs 11 wrote:2-3 times every 4 hrs!! :?
Dude, I'd rather ride solo than put myself through that? Why on earth would you ever do training mileage on a tyre like that??

Yep, he pulled that stunt on us for a couple of rides.
Some people do crazy things in the pursuit of a lightweight bike :lol:
I remember a colleague of mine sold a pair of records to a crit racer. He came back to the shop complaining about flatting both front and rear tires during a race. He insisted on staying with Veloflex, so I suggested buying a pair of Blacks. But because of the lighter weight, he just bought another pair of Records... I mean... seriously... the Records just aren't meant for crit racing on the roads of Flanders... Veloflex makes a range of tires for a reason. Each tire has its specific use. If you take the lightest one in their range, meant for time trial on perfect roads, you can't expect it to be good at everything...

Oswald

by Oswald

Just checked out the Veloflex range, it seems the Black no longer exists. I think it's now the 25mm Master.
The Record tires I was referring to were the 130gr 20mm Records. They seem to have stopped production on those.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com