21 Gram Pump

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BRM

by BRM

ipump wrote:Hi everyone,
My name is Morris Ostrow and I am the inventor of iPUMPMICRO.
I love reading your comments.
Especially the one that said " I'll eat my entire bike for breakfast"
O.K. I accept your challenge.
now put your mouth were your bike is. And start eating.
If i sent you a video of the iPUMPMICRO pumping up to 150psi, will you send me a video of you eating your bike, spokes last, as dental floss.
regards, and safe riding.
morris

OK Morris Ostrow, I suggest that you solve this now for once.
Stop the games and stop trying to move the focus to other directions.

WHERE is that vid that shows solid proof you pump up a bicycle TIRE to 150psi ?

You first come with that vid before we will discuss the other issues with your other claims.

If you cant give the vid within the reasonable amount of time which we set on 14 days from now on, you will announce in public that you are a liar about this fact.

:smartass:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Yeah, it's hard to see, but the amount of effort to get to 100psi was so much, he had to switch arms. Now add the volume of a real tire just makes the review much more credible.

Just to get to 50psi to get home is ok, but now that the pump can't last but a few flat tires...... I'm still not sold on it.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

So do all manufacturers base their claims on pumping only a gauge? To be fair, that Topeak RaceRocket linked by @BRM claims 160 psi, and I find that a bit dubious as well. Maybe they use a pumping robot.

@sm4100, looks like you took one for the team. So sorry. Perhaps the friend you borrowed it from will consider that you did him a favor - he didn't have to have that experience 50 miles from home.

sm4100

by sm4100

kbbpll wrote:So do all manufacturers base their claims on pumping only a gauge? To be fair, that Topeak RaceRocket linked by @BRM claims 160 psi, and I find that a bit dubious as well. Maybe they use a pumping robot.

@sm4100, looks like you took one for the team. So sorry. Perhaps the friend you borrowed it from will consider that you did him a favor - he didn't have to have that experience 50 miles from home.

As I said before I have no intention at all to make fake videos or stupid statements, I am an honest professional working for the automotive industry for more than 22 years and engineering is for me a passion which I enjoy daily in my work as well as my hobbies such as cycling..., so I get really upset when I see stupid marketing statements from supposedly genius inventors like this guy trying to cheat people with their stupid products. Today I was so ashamed when I had to call the guy and explain him that the pump is not working properly (if I can say this ever happened) so now I will pay him exactly what he has spent to buy the pump + shipping.

I am having some hard time trying to upload the video but you all can see what Im saying.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Isn't there a warranty?

sm4100

by sm4100

kbbpll wrote:Isn't there a warranty?

Honestly I believe there is a warranty, but I was ashamed to ask for.

Trying to fix this under warranty would be a big headache for me and the owner so I decided to offer him the money and he accepted.

The good thing is that I have the pump to test as much as I want now and I am not really convinced that it is broken or if it is just useless as it is. I checked the Ipump and there is no air leak, the connection with the presta valve is also 100% sealed

I posted the video here so you can judge by yourself and help me to find out...

http://youtu.be/BNkZU4TXz3M

Note that after pumping with the Ipump when I plug the gauge I let some air to scape which is difficult not to do with this kind of gauge but that air was not enough to waste everything I pumped. On the other hand when I plug the other pump I also let some air scape so it would also affect the amount of air measured after the second pump was done, so all in all this was a pretty basic test with 40 strokes on the Ipump and just a little more on the other pump but the PSI difference clearly shows.

Note how miserable is the design of the holding tip on the Ipump, it is horrible to grasp specially when pumping hard

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Love the exasperated sigh at the end. Thanks for posting that. I wonder if you put your thumb over the end are you getting any pressure at all now?

sm4100

by sm4100

Yes if I cover the end it builds pressure and it is totally sealed but no pressure enough to keep going.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

For reference I repeated my test on Lezyne Pressure Drive (small). In 5 minutes I put in about 230 strokes and was at my limit. I was breathing hard and started sweating. My floor pump read 114 psi. (My previously posted times did not include pausing between efforts etc, but this 5 minutes does). Lezyne claims 120 psi for this pump. I can believe someone like Arnold in his prime could get it close to 120 but it's not worth the effort for me. Bottom line is that Lezyne seems reasonably honest for this particular pump. In the real world I do not carry a pressure gauge so would probably stop when the tire feels rock hard at around 100-105 psi. Looking at your effort with the iPump I would probably stop when I start bleeding.

BRM

by BRM

kbbpll wrote:So do all manufacturers base their claims on pumping only a gauge? To be fair, that Topeak RaceRocket linked by @BRM claims 160 psi, and I find that a bit dubious as well. Maybe they use a pumping robot.

You are right about the claim of 160psi. I dont believe that either. :|
There are simply no minipumps that perform excellent. (it only goes from mediocre to reasonable and there it stops)
The industry needs to stop to lie. (and we need to stop to accept)

Despite thete facts you still can do recommendations.
I have such a Topeak and can tell its a decent design that works, also after a few uses. But don't mistraet it.
Its a balanced package. Looks, usefullness, durability, weight, size, etc
But dont expect wonders on any level.
Have in mind: For everything there is a perfect size. A minipump Always sits under that level, and so will be the performance. (always under desired levels)

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Hey, I'm an honest professional in the automotive field [for 35 years]. You mean there are others? Wow? I never thought I would run into another one.

For all it's worth, I will chip in a few dollars if you have a paypal account. At least I know I would not be throwing the money away.

sm4100

by sm4100

You didn't get the point here... anyway long before I turn 35 in my whole professional experience I will be retired and cycling

ipump

by ipump

hi Everyone;
Its morris the inventor of iPUMPMICRO.
First, If you send me your address i will send out a new iPUMPMICRO to you first thing this monday. I am sorry for the defective iPUMPMICRO.
The only thing i ask is that you send me the defective iPUMPMICRO you have to my office after you receive the new iPUMPMICRO, so that i can take it apart and find out what went wrong.
I will do my best to improve the iPUMPMICRO so that it is as close to perfect as possible.
So please be so kind to send it back to my office as soon as you receive your new iPUMPMICRO. I will be more than happy to pay for the shipping.
Next, please answer my questions. Is there a bicycle air tire that is rated at 150psi?
I watched your video and it looks like there is a problem with my iPUMPMICRO. I really want to get my hands on this pump so that i can find out the reason.
About the video. I made a video of me pumping up from 80psi to 120psi. its tough work. i used a handle which i invented for the iPUMPMICRO to facilitate the high pressure. it weighs 5 grams. I plan to mass produce it and add a couple of allan wrenches and shape the end to facilitate the removal of a tire. I would like to keep it around 5 grams.
I AM NOT A MAGICIAN. THE LAWS OF PHYSICS ARE THE SAME FOR EVERYONE. SO PUMPING UP TO 150 PSI USING A 17mm DIAMETER CARBON FIBER CYLINDER IS VERY DIFFICULT FOR THE AVERAGE GUY USING A HAND PUMP.
My larger pump iPUMP which i invented weighs twice as much as the iPUMPMICRO is much easier to pump with because you can use it as a floor pump.
Lastly, will the bike eating Godzilla eat his bicycle frame if i show you a video of me pumping my bicycle tire up to 120psi.
Love you guys!!! and thank you for all the feedback.
morris

sm4100

by sm4100

Hi Morris I will return the pump to the original owner this week and see if he can deal directly with you for the warranty. I think it is better if you receive the complaint from the original buyer so it doesn't sound like I am trying to cheat. Give me some time to talk to him. Only for your info the pump is only pushing 55PSI with 500 strokes and no more. Not hard but ineffective strokes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

It's nice to see that the law of physics is now running your marketing department. Did the original guy get fired? I believe you indicated that you were going to have a video showing the pump going to 150psi before the the bike was eaten for dinner. Sounds like this will never happen.