Considering a Caad10 for all around bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

photocycler

by photocycler

I have been trying to find the right bike for over a year now.

The issue is every time I buy a nice carbon bike it sits and is only ridden on weekends. The majority of my riding is commuting and then doing longer rides after work. P

The issue with this is I lockup my bike in a protected bike room so can't have too flashy of a bike and also carbon just isn't lockup friendly as metal.

I currently ride an all city zona tubed bike which I really enjoy but want something sportier and lighter. I am considering a caad10.

Coming from high end carbon bikes like a Parlee z5sli, Look 586 and Cervelo r3 I am hoping to have a little bit of the raciness of these bikes in the caad. I know steel is comfortable for long rides but steel forks are not.

I'm thinking the carbon fork on the caad will offset the ride and feel better then my current steel bike.

I like the looks of the caad(blacked out version), and also like the geometry as the 50cm looks to be perfect. The price for the frame set is also right and I can carry I over all of my current components

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

sounds like you have made your choice. Go get it!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

CAAD 10 does fit your needs abd would be a good choice. I did the same with a Kona Jake the Snake - cyclocross geometry but similar purpose.

Also, have you considered a used CF frame? A decent R3 or similar can be found for a reasonable price...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

poully

by poully

I've a caad10 and must say it's a great bike. Sadly (but not for me), some may say foolishly, I'm currently using it as my winter steed, but that's because for the price it's a steal and like you I was looking for the best bang for buck ride out there and I'm sure you will be happy with the caad10 as your choice.
As Frankie-B says, it sounds like you've made your choice and I'd say you won't be disappointed.

photocycler

by photocycler

no need to quote above

This will also play part as my spring bike to help transition unto summer. I plan to run fenders on this bike for part of the year.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yes! Do it.....you will not regret it.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

The Caad seems like a the right choice for you, even if I do not have any experience with it. But with your criteria, I would definitely consider it as the main choice.

Just to give you another idea... did you consider Titanium? It may be even more lock-friendly (especially unpainted). Of course the cost would be much higher than Aluminum.

juanacity

by juanacity

I'm currently building up a CAAD10 for a winter/commuter/all around bike. My nice/dry bike is a CAAD10 also and I am replacing a CAAD4 as my winter bike. I considered lots of other options, but my current nice bike is so much fun to ride I didn't want to go with anything else.

The only issue is that I am building up the "commuter" too nice and I am going to end up worrying about leaving it locked outside around the city.

RussellS

by RussellS

I have a CAAD7 and CAAD9 frames. With Campagnolo of course. Excellent bikes. Handling is great. Hopefully the CAAD10 you are considering has the same handling. Get it.

Buffalo

by Buffalo

I am a CAAD10 owner and I lock my bike up at work next to my company's fleet of eBikes because I know that nobody uses them. I do this because I am worried about someone bumping my bike while it is locked up. If you are not aware the frame has very thin tubing and it dents easy. I dropped a 4mm allen key on the top tube and it made a small dent.

DMF

by DMF

+1 on Buffalo

As "mass lock up friendly" bikes go, the Caad10 must just be the worst possible choice. Ever. The thin tubes dent way to easily when they recieve a knock, i.e a bike tipping over on yours or such. There are multiple threads online where Caad10s have been written off completely after tipping over into a dresser in the hallway or similar.

It's a sweet bike. But for mass lock up areas, it's just inherently terrible due to the thin tubes...

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Agree....perhaps a CAAD8 would be better with it's thicker tubes

rene5311

by rene5311

I'm in the same boat. I'm strongly considering purchasing a Breadwinner Lolo. Something else to consider.

rene5311

by rene5311

Link: http://breadwinnercycles.com/products/lolo

Review: http://cyclepathnw.com/2013/11/sensible ... nner-lolo/

My B bike is currently a CAAD9. A little to racey for me, but it might what you prefer. It definitely the cheaper option, but less durable.

Tamu8104

by Tamu8104

I don't have experience with the CAAD 10 but I have a CAAD 8 frame and it has a dent in the top tube from a bump. Great bikes but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable locking it up in a mass bike storage.
Firefly Ti Road Disc
Firefly Ti Gravel Disc
Rock Lobster Team Tig SL Disc
Santa Cruz Blur 2019
Gaulzetti Cabron Disc (Retired to the Kickr after an accident)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com