ENVE seatpost - 'tuning' to reduce weight?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RedRacer

by RedRacer

I need a nice light weight seat post with a 25mm offset and the ENVE post caught my eye.

The only problem is I want it to be under 150g! The ENVE is 400mm long so I can cut approx 150mm for my application which will help.

Beyond that are there any simple 'tuning' ideas to shave off additional weight?

Has anyone successfully removed the large white ENVE logo from the front of the post?

The other option would be to find a lighter post with a 25mm offset. Any ideas?
Last edited by RedRacer on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

I have a zero setback and chopped 170mm off it which dropped 43g if it helps your overall calculations...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Stuartclark1977 wrote:I have a zero setback and chopped 170mm off it which dropped 43g if it helps your overall calculations...

That is great info! Cutting off 150mm should drop approx 37g which brings the weight into a more acceptable range :)

Is the supplied through-bolt steel or Ti? If it is steel I should be able to drop at least 5g by swapping to a Ti bolt.

If the advertised weight of 190g is accurate (I use a 27.2mm) these mods should get it down to 150g!

totoboa

by totoboa

So, other than whacking the stem, replacing the bolts, what else is done to "tune" a piece of carbon ?

elviento

by elviento

As against ww-ism as this may sound, I'd say cutting it short is as far as I'd go.

Properly made products have to go through testing that simulate hard impact and wear and tear. Cutting/drilling fibers is more likely to result in cracks than in metal. Even if you are a 120lb spinner, it's impossible to guarantee you won't hit a big pothole one day. Just not worth it.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

jb

by jb

Berk has a very light seat post and he is working now at another one which will be very light.See his topic @ Gallery

RedRacer

by RedRacer

elviento wrote: Cutting/drilling fibers is more likely to result in cracks than in metal. Even if you are a 120lb spinner, it's impossible to guarantee you won't hit a big pothole one day. Just not worth it.

Don't worry, I have no intention of drilling holes in my CF post or reaming out the center or anything that extreme!

I will cut off as much length as possible and use a Ti main bolt. Hopefully this brings it under 150g.

nealrab

by nealrab

Did it work, I wonder? How successful was the process with the ENVE post?

drainyoo

by drainyoo

What about the new Ritchey Superlogic? It has a 25mm setback and I've seen those things come in and under 150g.
Last edited by drainyoo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Also the Shimano Vibe Carbon seatpost has setback and is very light.

The enve post uses a Ti bolt with the standard rail clamp wedges and a steel one on the oversized (ie carbon) rail wedges.

I would strongly suggest against replacing the steel bolt for Ti in that case. It's smaller diamater and these seat post heads require a really high torque value to prevent slipping. Not worth the 4-5g you might save.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Just buy a light one.. Mfck pop new ultimate..
If you want light buy light in the first place, if you want enve suck it up.
Enve rims are the gold standard in ww wheel building but there cockpit stuff is a bit porky.. Pretty and very nicley made but not light :thumbup:

ms6073

by ms6073

Briscoelab wrote:The enve post uses a Ti bolt with the standard rail clamp wedges and a steel one on the oversized (ie carbon) rail wedges
Ours purchased last August, came with the two sets of rail clamps but only the single Ti clamp bolt.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

RippedUp

by RippedUp

RedRacer wrote:
Has anyone successfully removed the large white ENVE logo from the front of the post?

Anyone? Thanks!

sastre

by sastre

31.6mm 25 offset overall length 295mm
the claimed weight was accurate used wet & dry sandpaper 1000 grit left a small area but not noticeable. :welcome:

120mm insert required.
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

my post is also denuded 8)
...not sure I have a photo though

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓