Campaganolo durability, smoothness?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

myndog

by myndog

Hello
As I am finishing my new bike project I would like to know your opinions on few group sets. Do someone of you use campaganolo chorus groupset? I'm thinking it's model of 2009 or so. I have someone nearby whos selling this groupset for a very reasonable price. What do you think of this groupset? Is it better then Ultegra 6600 that i'm currently using? How it rides? And why there is so few group sets in ebay :) compared to shimano or sram?
Thanks

audiojan

by audiojan

Personally, I love Campy, so take this for what it's worth…

One of the big reasons why you see so few used Campy group sets sold is because they just last forever and everything is rebuildable. Since Campy is more expensive (in general) than Shimano or SRAM, they tend to be bought by Campy fans, who just don't replace them, just ride forever.

I would pick a Chorus over 6600 any day. I don't know if smooth is the word I would use with Campy though… exact and precise, yes, but you do feel the shifting (which I love, Shimano feels "distant and disconnected").
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

Well for the reason being fewer sets second hand, outside of our little cult, Campag sales numbers are just nowhere near Shimano or Sram. It's not even in the same universe, I know it may not seem like it when looking at bikes posted online. But really, it doesn't reflect actual sales...

On a personal guess, I'd also take a shot on that most Campag owners build their own bikes, and have atlest 2-3 bikes, and as such have an in-house trickle down effect where groups are inherited downwards within the own chain of bikes... As opposed to being sold upgrading the one and only bike (where the beater is not seen fit for Chorus level equipment).

Very much just my 2c.

Irish

by Irish

I have been using a chorus 11spd groupset since 2009 and have had zero problems. I have had to do very little maintenance bar adjusting the gear cables a couple of times and changing the chain each year and cassette once (expected) and the crankset bearings twice and some cleaning after wet rides and that is it. As a groupset it has been exceptionally reliable and I believe the best value for money groupset out there. As for Ultegra I haven't used Shimano for years but have no reason to believe it's better/worse than Campagnolo. However I would highly recommend going 11spd as all new groupsets from major manufacturers will be 11spd and all new wheel s will be the same, in saying that Campagnolo have been making 11spd stuff for a few years now and have it sorted (check tread on 11spd shimano cassettes11).

Perhaps the reason there are so few campagnolo g/sets for sale is they sell less in the first place, (not as active in the oem market) and therefore there are less available secondhand, I would also imagine that campagnolo g/sets being 11spd are being held onto or trickeled down to riders training machines when they buy new, but have no proof of that other than know it's what I do.

Nutellaurent

by Nutellaurent

i have a chorus 11, and i never had any issues with it. chain and cassettes don't wear out too fast... just a reliable grouppo

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'd strongly advise against a 2009 Campy shifter / RD setup.

The first year of production of the new design shifters in 2009 was problematic, and fixed by a running change in late 2009.

There were problems with the shifter bodies, detent disc, and cable takeup spool, all of which were revised.

@Irish may have got a late 2009 set or just be lucky.

Campy again revised the shifters and RD for 2011, and shifting again improved.

All that being said, current 11-speed Campy provides the quietest, best shifting group ever, with nice ergonomics. Chorus being the best value for money. Complete Chorus groups can be had for under $1000.

Since I like quick links, I use a KMC chain.

I'm also running an Athena setup, and very happy with it also.

As for your last question, eBay has become an almost complete waste of time for this sort of thing. The best deals are from the online UK retailers - Ribble, Total, Probikekit, etc.
Last edited by bikerjulio on Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

legs 11

by legs 11

Agreed, if it's the new shape 09 levers they can be problematic. It is fixable if you have a Campagnolo service centre near you though.
I had quite a few problems with 09 Chorus and Centaur levers.
Pedalling Law Student.

myndog

by myndog

I've found entire group set so you can see what model is that - http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/drive ... 97crx.aspx

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Some of the worlds best pro teams have raced with Chorus groups.

Campagnolo: build quality; better materials; greater serviceability = longer life.

legs 11

by legs 11

That's the earlier shape levers.....early 09.
No problems there, they work brilliantly and last forever. :thumbup:
Pedalling Law Student.

myndog

by myndog

I think i'm going to go with campy. although I'm still gonna need to change my wheel hub somehow to campy and buy some expensive campy cassettes :)

Thanks for replys. :thumbup:

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

myndog wrote:I think i'm going to go with campy. although I'm still gonna need to change my wheel hub somehow to campy and buy some expensive campy cassettes :)

Thanks for replys. :thumbup:

If the shifting is still good on those levers, then there's nothing wrong with an older 10-speed setup if it's in good condition. But keep in mind that this group is probably at least 5 years old. These older shifters are still rebuildable, unlike the current generation. But I'd carefully check condition, and compare what you would pay to what a brand new setup would cost. You might be surprised. A complete Veloce group is $450, or Centaur $580. You get new chains, cassettes, brakepads and cables with a new group.

It's a myth that Campy cassettes have to be expensive. I was buying up 10-speed Veloce cassettes in the $40 range last time I bought. Any 10-speed campy cassette will work fine. Ribble have Veloce at $41 and Centaur at $62. Only difference is the finish.

One.

kac

by kac

I am in the process of switching from Record 10 speed (circa 2006) to a combination of Super Record and Record (cranks, but I'm keeping my 2006 brakes because they work just fine). With around 17,000 miles on the Record 10 speed, I've had very few problems (until recently). I've re-built both shift levers and changed the cables, housings, chain and cassette (I consider these routine maintenance) but parts for R-10 are becoming somewhat scarce. That's one reason I decided to make the change. The other reason, one which I've not yet solved, is that both shift levers intermittently "lock up" (i.e., they simply won't move unless I up- or down-shift depending on which position is frozen). I suspect this is a cable issue, but I can't locate the problem. In any event, I like the quality, durability and performance of Campagnolo equipment. I'm keeping the Record 10 for eventual use on another bike. For comparison, my wife's bike has SRAM Force. I've ridden that occasionally and it fails my criteria in all three areas.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The other reason, one which I've not yet solved, is that both shift levers intermittently "lock up" (i.e., they simply won't move unless I up- or down-shift depending on which position is frozen)

The first thing to check is very simple. Check that the nubs on the hoods are properly seated in the shifter body. If the hood is interfering with the full return of the thumb shifter, then that is exactly the thing that will happen.

One.

Irish

by Irish

Mine is actually a very early '09 11spd groupset , I installed it paying great attention to routing and like I said have had no issues. Some users apparently did have issues with the early 11spd but many of these are due to poor installation. The early g/set does have a very light action towards newer revised levers (and r/mechs) but for me this hasn't been an issue, also KMC quick links have worked on my campagnolo chains without issues and for me are a worthwhile addition to the campagnolo drivetrain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com