Campaganolo durability, smoothness?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kac

by kac

bikerjulio wrote:
The other reason, one which I've not yet solved, is that both shift levers intermittently "lock up" (i.e., they simply won't move unless I up- or down-shift depending on which position is frozen)

The first thing to check is very simple. Check that the nubs on the hoods are properly seated in the shifter body. If the hood is interfering with the full return of the thumb shifter, then that is exactly the thing that will happen.

Thanks! I've had trouble with the hoods a few times (replaced twice since they seem to stretch out) and I've checked for that, but I'll check again!

KAC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

audiojan wrote:
"..... is because they just last forever and everything is rebuildable.

You should check that its now a myth and no longer a fact. The 11s Ultrashift onwards shifters are no longer user rebuildable. Try searching for a replacement part for the shift paddles for example and see what you'll find. You'll be in for a rude shock.

tommasini

by tommasini

kac wrote:I am in the process of switching from Record 10 speed (circa 2006) to a combination of Super Record and Record (cranks, but I'm keeping my 2006 brakes because they work just fine). With around 17,000 miles on the Record 10 speed, I've had very few problems (until recently). I've re-built both shift levers and changed the cables, housings, chain and cassette (I consider these routine maintenance) but parts for R-10 are becoming somewhat scarce. That's one reason I decided to make the change. The other reason, one which I've not yet solved, is that both shift levers intermittently "lock up" (i.e., they simply won't move unless I up- or down-shift depending on which position is frozen). I suspect this is a cable issue, but I can't locate the problem. In any event, I like the quality, durability and performance of Campagnolo equipment. I'm keeping the Record 10 for eventual use on another bike. For comparison, my wife's bike has SRAM Force. I've ridden that occasionally and it fails my criteria in all three areas.

No offense intended but the lockup is a periodically discussed topic. The consensus is that yes check the hood first so it doesn't interfere with the thumb lever return. But after that it generally comes down to lazy fingers putting pressure on both the thumb and the lower shift levers at the same time. Don't think you do it - neither did I. Until I caught myself when deep into a long tiring ride. Once I noticed this "user error" I've NEVER had the problem again.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

agreed - i thought i was a faulty shifter, then i realized that it was user error- this coming from a 7 year campagnolo user!

kac

by kac

tommasini wrote:
kac wrote:I am in the process of switching from Record 10 speed (circa 2006) to a combination of Super Record and Record (cranks, but I'm keeping my 2006 brakes because they work just fine). With around 17,000 miles on the Record 10 speed, I've had very few problems (until recently). I've re-built both shift levers and changed the cables, housings, chain and cassette (I consider these routine maintenance) but parts for R-10 are becoming somewhat scarce. That's one reason I decided to make the change. The other reason, one which I've not yet solved, is that both shift levers intermittently "lock up" (i.e., they simply won't move unless I up- or down-shift depending on which position is frozen). I suspect this is a cable issue, but I can't locate the problem. In any event, I like the quality, durability and performance of Campagnolo equipment. I'm keeping the Record 10 for eventual use on another bike. For comparison, my wife's bike has SRAM Force. I've ridden that occasionally and it fails my criteria in all three areas.

No offense intended but the lockup is a periodically discussed topic. The consensus is that yes check the hood first so it doesn't interfere with the thumb lever return. But after that it generally comes down to lazy fingers putting pressure on both the thumb and the lower shift levers at the same time. Don't think you do it - neither did I. Until I caught myself when deep into a long tiring ride. Once I noticed this "user error" I've NEVER had the problem again.

Thanks for the perspective. I didn't find it on "search" of the forum. Is this unique to old style Record? In any event, I think I'll check both suggestions.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

maxxevv wrote:The 11s Ultrashift onwards shifters are no longer user rebuildable. Try searching for a replacement part for the shift paddles for example and see what you'll find. You'll be in for a rude shock.

The shifter is still rebuildable, it's just that the parts are no longer individually available - which is somewhat different.

You now need to buy a larger 'kit' that will include an entire shift assembly vs. a specific disc or spring part.

As someone that has a few 11v shifters, the ability to rebuild/service and grab parts from spare shifters to keep others going is a good bonus.

DMF

by DMF

kac, my 11sp Athena does the same thing, locks up due to 'lazy fingers'. So no, probably not isolated to 10sp Record. It's very easy to do it on purpose, just to try it too...

sawyer

by sawyer

I'm still riding Record 10 with the newer shape Centaur shifters ... these only shift down one gear at a time (like Sora) which I actually like ... it gives very accurate shifting every time.

It's also cheap ... shifters are £100 odd and who needs rebuildable at that price.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

buc

by buc

campy is a great pick !
it's not cheap but it will last forever ! smooth shifting and i find it easy to fix ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kac

by kac

DMF wrote:kac, my 11sp Athena does the same thing, locks up due to 'lazy fingers'. So no, probably not isolated to 10sp Record. It's very easy to do it on purpose, just to try it too...

That makes sense as it comports with the rest of my lazy self! In any event, it's a recent issue and I'm keeping the components to use in another bike (soon, I hope). Thanks for the advice!!

KAC

XCProMD

by XCProMD

maxxevv wrote:
audiojan wrote:
"..... is because they just last forever and everything is rebuildable.

You should check that its now a myth and no longer a fact. The 11s Ultrashift onwards shifters are no longer user rebuildable. Try searching for a replacement part for the shift paddles for example and see what you'll find. You'll be in for a rude shock.

What you'll find is the entire shifting assembly as a spare part. Campagnolo is the only manufacturra that sells such thing as a spare. If you crash Shimano or Sram shifters you'll have to buy the entire shifter which is way more expensive than the Campagnolo spare assembly.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

another way of getting that "campy" look is to use campy shiftier with shiftmate on shimano drivetrain. You can now get 7800 duraace drivetrain dirt cheap on Ebay, mount it with a 10sp record shiftier and you are good to go.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Modern Athena is pretty cheap and that works very well indeed. Bottom of the range Veloce performs superbly though so I have real trouble justifying an upgrade.

joestralia

by joestralia

I run a mix of Super Record and Chorus on my setup.

I find that the Chorus cassette and chain are very reliable and probably more durable. Heck you can buy a few Chorus cassettes for he price of one Super Record cassette!

One caveat: as some have mentioned; some of the early 2009 rear derailleur would not accommodate a 29 t cog. I admit I need a 29! But for most situations a 29 - 13 cogset paired with 53/39 crankset was adequate in most situations. Ultimately, your training needs to overcome some of the shortfall of your equipment.

Chorus is fine!

Cheers and Happy New Year!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

XCProMD wrote:What you'll find is the entire shifting assembly as a spare part. Campagnolo is the only manufacturra that sells such thing as a spare. If you crash Shimano or Sram shifters you'll have to buy the entire shifter which is way more expensive than the Campagnolo spare assembly.
Crash Record and you're looking at £60, crash Dura Ace it's more like £400+ and Force is north of £200. Even lowly 105 will set you back £200+!! With hubs it's similar, Record free hubs run at £70 whereas a Dura Ace one will lighten your wallet by £150!