Campaganolo durability, smoothness?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

maxxevv wrote:
audiojan wrote:
"..... is because they just last forever and everything is rebuildable.

You should check that its now a myth and no longer a fact. The 11s Ultrashift onwards shifters are no longer user rebuildable. Try searching for a replacement part for the shift paddles for example and see what you'll find. You'll be in for a rude shock.

Ok, so you can't buy every single part individually like you could for the 10 speed (and past that), but still… being able to swap out smaller assemblies beats buying completely new parts. I still my statement is true, especially compared to the other manufacturers.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

the problem is that the shimano shiftiers are so reliable you rarely have to fix it. But campy shiftiers have known problem with the g-springs wearing out that you have to replace every 10k miles. But i admit i just love how campy looks, the older ones, the newer 11sp looks like shit

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

ChiZ01 wrote:the problem is that the shimano shiftiers are so reliable you rarely have to fix it. But campy shiftiers have known problem with the g-springs wearing out that you have to replace every 10k miles. But i admit i just love how campy looks, the older ones, the newer 11sp looks like shit

Ok, I'll bite.

Somehow I don't find compelling the views of someone whose previous post on this thread extolled the aesthetic merits of running Campagnolo shifters with a Shimano drivetrain.

Newer shaped Campagnolo shifters look great - form following function beautifully.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Nutellaurent

by Nutellaurent

exactly :thumbup:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

ChiZ01 wrote:the problem is that the shimano shiftiers are so reliable you rarely have to fix it. But campy shiftiers have known problem with the g-springs wearing out that you have to replace every 10k miles. But i admit i just love how campy looks, the older ones, the newer 11sp looks like shit

Either some of the poorest trolling I've seen on here recently - or just running off poor advice.

I have the earliest Super Record 11 shifter. Nearly 40,000km on them and never once replaced the g-spring/ever had a shift that suggested they were wearing out. By your logic I should be on to my fourth, so...

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I have the earliest version of Super Record 11 Shifters as well, and I don't recall replacing the springs yet. I did need to swap out the springs in the 10 speed versions though, but only a couple of times over many years.

Shifter cables have always been a bit of a problem on all my Campy Ergo Shifters, going all the way back to when they first came out. The rear cable breaks about once every couple of years. The bend radius is just too small for the amount of force required.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Bridgeman wrote:I have the earliest version of Super Record 11 Shifters as well, and I don't recall replacing the springs yet.

Good luck when you try that one ...

I am not rushing from my old Record 10 (Year 2000) to 11 speed because it is just not as serviceable.

Irish

by Irish

Maybe I'm just a lucky Irishman :) but I've never had a problem with a "g spring" in over 20years of campagnolo ergo use, I've never had to replace cables on a regular basis due to them snapping because of poor design, in 8,9,10 or 11spd, I have a set of cables on my cx bike that came of my road bike that are from 2009(my older components move down my fleet)!!!! As for shimano reliability..................

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118879&hilit=shimano+dura+ace+cassette

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=120570&hilit=shimano+shifter+problem

While Campagnolo is not as serviceable as it was in the '90's I have found their products to be exceptionable reliable even in 11spd form (using early 11spd Chorus g/set mostly). The set up of the cables is very important and in most cases where a rider has brought his campagnolo equipped bike to me to get it sorted it has been an installation error rather that a product design flaw, once installed properly it tends to be ultra reliable and durable........However I would also say the same for 10spd Shimano g/sets. All g/sets will have their problems look at the above links for some shimano problems and if you want to see how Sram fairs just check out their broken shift levers and chains!!!!!! In my unbiased opinion campagnolo's lower end Athena and Chorus represent the best value in Campagnolo's line up and looking at 11spd Shimano, Ultegra would seem to outshine Dura Ace at present (no reported problems yet).

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I agree with @Irish.

Never had a cable problem like one poster here.

I have however rebuilt an older shifter after the shifts got a little lazy.

The interesting feature of the new design in 2009 was the completely different internal mechanism. There's no G-spring!

In the last 4 years of reading the forums I don't recall anyone wearing one out. And what would wear out anyway? It's just 2 little ball bearings running over a detent disc.

I suppose eventually something has to give, but no reports so far.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Never replaced a G spring ( nearly did it ;-) ) in any of my 9spd mirage, or any of my 10's (Daytona, centaur, chorus alu, chorus carbon , record ) in lord knows how many miles. Only thing I have replaced is the bodies which broke in a rr accident, and in a rta which killed a caad4 'dale.The record are first year carbon 10's I think, and still on the best bike so still going strong.

On the otherhand, got a pair of new shape veloce on the winter bike, which has seen the LH one wear out in 9 months (replaced under warranty), then wear out again after another 15 or so. Bought another pair. At £76 for a set with cables, you can accept that longeivity might not be the best.

Beats low end shimano and its crazy pricing any day 8)
Official cafe stop tester

kac

by kac

Any consensus here on the durability of Campagnolo 11- speed (Record or Super Record) compared to 10-speed Record? Thoughts on 11 vs. 10 on ease of adjustment, routine maintenance?

barsook77

by barsook77

kac wrote:Any consensus here on the durability of Campagnolo 11- speed (Record or Super Record) compared to 10-speed Record? Thoughts on 11 vs. 10 on ease of adjustment, routine maintenance?

Durability is top notch. Ease of adjustment was great with Record Super Record. 11 speed shifts perfectly. Chorus did have issues with rear derailleur springs a few years back but that has been addressed. I have used Campy for over 360,000 road mikes with NO ISSUES. Stuff is bombproof and the choice of most all in the peloton when they outfit their own rides.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

maybe i am ill advised but i have never heard of people need to fix or replace shimano shiftiers other then the super old rsx. and when you do need to service it you just have to flush wd40 through them.
But there are tons of threads of campy shiftiers breaking down. Please explain

kac

by kac

barsook77 wrote:
kac wrote:Any consensus here on the durability of Campagnolo 11- speed (Record or Super Record) compared to 10-speed Record? Thoughts on 11 vs. 10 on ease of adjustment, routine maintenance?

Durability is top notch. Ease of adjustment was great with Record Super Record. 11 speed shifts perfectly. Chorus did have issues with rear derailleur springs a few years back but that has been addressed. I have used Campy for over 360,000 road mikes with NO ISSUES. Stuff is bombproof and the choice of most all in the peloton when they outfit their own rides.

Thanks! Very reassuring news.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

With regards to shifter assemblies, I think it would be more accurate to assess their reliability by the number of shifts vs years of use. We have a lot of undulating terrain here and I know for a fact that some just grind out rolling hills with little shifting vs those who optimize their cadence with frequent shifts. I also realize how unrealistic it would be to know exactly just how many shifts one does over time.

One other variable that just came to mind is the single shift vs rapid single shifts of multiple gears. The latter has potential for setting up some extreme resonances in the spring which could potentially shorten its life. I think I may have even read something about this phenomena, or maybe in another application, but it is real.

My point is; wear rate can be largely dependent on a riders shift preferences.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com