Why are Pro's abandoning Speedplay Pedals?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wingnut

by Wingnut

The same old lines heard over the years...

"Pro's ride whatever they're paid to ride..."

"They're Pro's, they can ride what they want..."

I agree with Prend...never realised how I'd learned to live with mediocrity until I got off Speedplay's...

alibongo

by alibongo

The pro' so know all do not get paid to use pedals!

I have been reminded today why I shouldn't use SP's as I did 4 hours in the rain on Xmas eve and today they are turning like they are square.... So I've ordered some 9000 sl's today. However will still use them on the track!
Follow me on twitter:- MrAliBongo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Yeah, they suck so bad that Team Cannondale is still using them, and LeopardTrek and...

ipaul

by ipaul

And Sir Wiggins and Joey D use them even though the black and blue are fully in bed with shimano. It's a personal thing and if it's that important to a rider, they will work in to their contract. My guess is most feel it's just a pedal as they all seem to hold the foot in place. Way too many examples from both sides of teams seeking and abandoning speedplays and every other brand of equipment. It's business.
:P

tinozee

by tinozee

I use Speedplays on two road bikes. I'm tempted to try Look keo blades but I keep reading that they're sloppy and rock side to side. My body can adapt to anything pretty much, so I don't need all of the play, etc in a speedplay zero.

I guess my question is, if Speedplay is a crappy system, what system is better? If there's a system that feels way more solid tell me and I will check it out. Tx!

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

tinozee wrote:I guess my question is, if Speedplay is a crappy system, what system is better? If there's a system that feels way more solid tell me and I will check it out. Tx!

Speedplays are fine if you like them, and I know plenty of people who do. I've ridden a lot over the years, and my money goes to Shimano now. I prioritize no BS over anything else.

rmerka

by rmerka

I've never tried the Look Keo Blades but the regular Look Keo Max pedals and Shimano DA pedals are rock solid and anything but sloppy in my opinion. I tried speed plays for a few months and they were the worst for me. Always felt like my foot wanted the roll off the outer edge of the pedal.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Yet to see a perfect pedal system...

Speedplay...poor pedal/cleat interface, lack of cleat stability.

Shimano...great bearings, poor/lack of float.

TIME...bushings wear out but great float.

LOOK...haven't seen enough positives to warrant using them. Seem to have all the faults of all the above?

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I switched from Speedplay X1s to Xpresso 12s. They offer (me) much more stability, and the pedal/cleat system is lighter overall than X1s.
They don't offer the "stomp and go" convenience of Speedplays but I still feel like it's worth it for the great platform and support.
I haven't heard of any pros using the Time Xpresso's yet though, so, who knows.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Zigmeister wrote:Yeah, they suck so bad that Team Cannondale is still using them, and LeopardTrek and...

It's business (as ipaul pointed out).

Let's be honest with ourselves though: MOST pro cyclists, as in nearly all but with a few notable exceptions, are NOT equipment geeks like we are. Most don't give too much care about what they're told to use while sponsored. Exceptions? There are a few... Adam Hansen, Contador, Creed and a few others, but how many are they out of the entire pro peloton? A small percentage.

You want to know what a pro really likes? Find them after they've retired and see what they choose to ride with their own cash. :wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

RussellS

by RussellS

Wingnut wrote:Shimano...great bearings, poor/lack of float.

Yes great bearings on Shimano pedals. Plenty of float for people with normal feet. They have 6 degrees of float I believe. Enough to move your heel about half inch. Plenty of movement for people with normal feet. If you have abnormal, mutated feet, then you may need one of the other pedal systems.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Isn't Cavendish still riding his Shimano DA 7800 pedals? He was about a year ago. (Edit: no, he's riding Look's now)

Pedal selection in the pro ranks is like saddle selection, and depends on two main things: team sponsorship and rider sponsorship Some riders have seperate personal equipment contracts, requiring them to use certain brands. The manufacturers may provide a more sedate or neutral color scheme to match the team's paint scheme, but money is the deciding factor. Speedplay may be getting out of the "team" game, and finds their money is better spent sponsoring individual riders. Why spend $500k sponsoring Team Radioshack, when for $100k they can sponsor Fabian Cancellara, arguably the most popular rider on the team (I'm making those numbers up), and get similar results.
Last edited by FIJIGabe on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

FIJIGabe wrote:Isn't Cavendish still riding his Shimano DA 7800 pedals? He was about a year ago.

I have seen his old Venge with 7900 pedals with custom, extra wide axles.. Could be the reason?

Rick

by Rick

If you don't like speedplays, fine. But I don't get the sp "bashing" thing.
I spent all last year on DA 7900 carbons, and decided to go back to speedplay. No loss of power or stability, just fresher feeling legs. In fact, increased power over any significant length of time.
I even held on to the DA just in case I decided to go back. But when I went back to speedplays my legs just went "ahh".
I find that I pedal a little pigeon-toed when on the drops, but actually go a little heels-in when out of the saddle. It feels great to be able to change a little, especially right at the transition time. I think having the complete free-float of SP mught give the illusion of losing power; or conversely, having restricted float may give the illusion of the foot transferring more power. But a few rides with a power meter can tell the truth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Ok, so why are Speedplays not so great?

The pedals are light, but the cleats are heavy, so they aren't necessarily any lighter than other pedal systems.
You need an adapter for common road shoes or Speedplay-specific shoes to use them. The adapter increases the stack height which negated the claim of lowest stack height.
The cleats need covers if you're going to walk on them to the same extent as any other rider might with another cleat system. The cleats will muck up with debris and prevent clipping in. The cleats also need to be lubed. :roll: And those cleats STILL need to be replaced eventually.
Why would anyone willingly enter into a high-maintenance relationship? :lol:

Call it silly, but wouldn't an ideal pedal system need little/no maintenance?
Shouldn't one be able to simply place the cleats on the sole of your shoes and leave them alone until they need to be replaced?
Shouldn't a person be able to put their foot down on the pavement (or earth) without worrying that you won't be able to clip back in?

The company?
Sends threatening letters and their lawyers after anyone who 'tunes' their products and posts about them. We had to start a thread here with a new name just to avoid their litigious m.o.
Tried to sue Bebop, and lost outright - so badly they were denied any revisit to the case!
They can be a bit like the Specialized of the pedal world. :lol:

If you like Speedplays great.
Didn't like Dura-Ace/Shimano? Try Look's systems. Try Time's newer system. Try Time's RXS system (still going strong).
Try Xpedo. Try Exustar. Try Mavic.
They aren't the same. They each have different float and binding characteristics.

Speedplay, as a business, has done well on marketing. Their product is o.k. and works for people just as any other pedal system works for others. They offered colours, marketed their products to associate with 'candy' and 'lollipops' - which really appealed to a growing segment of first time riders, women cyclists, older riders coming into the sport after decades of being a cubicle athlete, etc:. They're easy to clip in for people who may have coordination issues (I've actually recommended Speedplay to a few friends because they're lacking a few subtle coordination-motor skills, it works for them). They made a bunch of claims that, in reality, weren't that great. But hey, if Cancellara wins using their pedals, ta-da! People will buy anything if a pro uses that product while winning. There's a sucker born every minute.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.