Why are Pro's abandoning Speedplay Pedals?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

corky

by corky

^ like

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

But they do make your bike weigh less by transferring the weight to your shoes :smartass:

lobular

by lobular

Cancellara has 'abandoned' speedplays for 2014 and is on DA pedals so after the classics we will have a direct comparison as to which is the best pedal system!!

Rick

by Rick

Speedplay Zero Ti combined weight of cleat and pedal for 3-hole mounting: 282 gms
Stack height 11.5 mm
Anyone can compare actual specs.

I replace my cleats once a year and probably grease the pedals twice per year. I don't call that "high maintenance". But I am willing to put up with a BB30 bottom bracket....although I do complain about that!

I have NEVER been unable to clip in after putting my foot down, in ~20 years of using them. Although I will admit that I bought some cafe covers a couple years ago just because it seemed like a good idea if I am going to have to walk over a gravel parking lot. But I also bought cleat covers for my DA cleats. I could actually feel the difference in floatability of the DA cleat more when it started to get a bit chewed up on the surface.

I another thread where people were talking about speedplay harrassing people, I asked for a specific example, and showed how speedplay aftermarket stuff is sold and advertized openly a numerous sites. No one ever came up with another example (beyond the one disgruntled iniitiator of the post. ) It is here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80010&start=270

So, to my way of thinking, a "sucker" would be someone who feels it necessary to go out of their way to bash a product just because they may like another one better.

In my case, I decided to go back to SP after basically having tried them all (except Time). I feel no need to bash the DA or Looks, etc, despite abundant reports of broken pedals, springs, etc (just search for "blade" or "xpresso" on this forum).

I started using SP long before Cancellara, so I don't use them because of him. But I also figure that if they are obnviously not holding him back, then they will withstand my puny power output.
PS: the speedplay wearers are always the first ones off the line at a criterium. :)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Working backwards:
-You state an absolute: "the speedplay wearers are always the first ones off the line at a criterium." So, proof of 'always'? Or just hyperbole? Or ASSumption? From first hand experience, it's a bullshit statement that a pedal choice determines "first one off the line." And does that determine a winner? Nope.
-All products break. You're using a psychology of confirmation bias: you look for something, you will find it. Here, let me search for "broken speedplay" on Google. Oh, look! Same thing can be done for [insert product here]
-Your way of thinking about 'sucker' is a bit of a fallacy. How about an actual breakdown of the arguments as we're doing here?
-So you admit you have to carry around cleat covers? Add that to your weight total, bud.
-You also acknowledge the other issues of Speedplay that were brought up, so thanks for verification.

Your claim of stack height? Nixed:
TriRig Mercury: any sided entry, lighter, no need for an adapter, no need to lube your cleats, no need to carry a cleat cover... and oh, 10.1mm stack height.
Just like your example of the ZeroTi: fixed cleat.

I welcome continuing the discussion. Bring it.

Again, Speedplay? Meh. Some may consider them crap.

Back to the topic: why are Pro's abandoning Speedplay Pedals?
In part, it's business. In part, if you're sponsored, you'll use it. If you aren't and you have a voice in the option, would you convince your team to use something else? Likely considering all of the issues with Speedplay.
Want to know what a pro really wants to use? See what products they use after they retire and are no longer sponsored.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

kac

by kac

tinozee wrote:I use Speedplays on two road bikes. I'm tempted to try Look keo blades but I keep reading that they're sloppy and rock side to side. My body can adapt to anything pretty much, so I don't need all of the play, etc in a speedplay zero.

I guess my question is, if Speedplay is a crappy system, what system is better? If there's a system that feels way more solid tell me and I will check it out. Tx!

I won't generalize from a sample size of one (me), but here's my anecdotal report:

I rode Speedplay Zero for several years. I was meticulous in following the manufacturer's maintenance instructions. After about a year, my shoes rocked laterally enough to become annoying so I replaced the cleats...to no effect. I examined the pedals and compared them to new ones and couldn't see much of a difference but I replaced them anyway. The rocking wasn't as bad, but it was noticeable. New cleats again and again no difference. So, I switched to Keo Blades.

After about a year on the Keo Blades, one pedal cracked at the base. I'd read this was a "common" problem but they were replaced immediately and "no questions asked" by Competitive Cyclist. I got another pair in exchange. These have ~1000 miles on them and they work fine.

My wife uses Speedplay. She likes them and has no complaints. I like the Keo Blades. Moral of the story: either one is probably okay. For me, given the complexity and maintenance issues of the Speedplay cleats, I'll use the "standard" platform, instead.

KAC

weightLight

by weightLight

Always entertaining listening to people argue on the internet about products, they are products not your children, but by all means carry on!

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

For those who have moved on from Speedplay to other pedals I am wondering how the increase in stack height has effected your position?

This is the main reason why I went to Speedplay. The lowered cg helped in numerous respects.

tinozee

by tinozee

@Kac

Tx for the feedback. I'll probably end up trying other systems just for fun.

RussellS

by RussellS

prendrefeu wrote:Want to know what a pro really wants to use? See what products they use after they retire and are no longer sponsored.

Retired pros ride their former race bikes. Somehow they end up keeping several of their bikes when they retire. Whoever their sponsors were when they retired, those are the products they will ride in retirement.

I'm not sure pros love bicycling like the people on this forum do. Bicycling is an activity they do for a living. Its their job. I don't get the impression they ride for fun and joy as a recreational activity. Its a job for them.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

RussellS wrote:Retired pros ride their former race bikes. Somehow they end up keeping several of their bikes when they retire. Whoever their sponsors were when they retired, those are the products they will ride in retirement.

I'm not sure pros love bicycling like the people on this forum do. Bicycling is an activity they do for a living. Its their job. I don't get the impression they ride for fun and joy as a recreational activity. Its a job for them.

I used to play professional golf, and I would 100% agree with this statement. I used to be obsessed with golf equipment when I was an amatuer and in college. After playing professional golf for a few years I could care less about my equipment's specs or looks. If it worked and some company paid me the dough I stuck it in my bag. After a few years of trying to pay the mortgage playing golf it really lost it's fun and appeal that I had before I was a pro. It really is a job and it sucks the fun out of it. I've been out the game for years and it still hasn't interested me much. I still play with some friends/family from time to time but it's nowhere near as fun as it was in the amatuer ranks. If pro cyclists have this same feeling I'm sure they are not spending money on bike parts when retired. As you mentioned pro's ride their bikes they kept, my golf clubs in my bag are the clubs I kept too. Why spend money on something I'm not passionate about?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

GonaSovereign wrote:Speedplays are fine if you like them, and I know plenty of people who do. I've ridden a lot over the years, and my money goes to Shimano now. I prioritize no BS over anything else.

Except the new 9000 pedals seem to be blowing bearings...which was what I was looking forward to most after being required to move away from Speedplay.

Bridgeman - obviously saddle height goes up whatever the stack height difference is. Speedplay have a page which helps work that out.

prend, you forgot Keywin. Great system, underrated. Gives wide platform with the wide range of float some on SP require.

jooo

by jooo

RussellS wrote:I'm not sure pros love bicycling like the people on this forum do. Bicycling is an activity they do for a living. Its their job. I don't get the impression they ride for fun and joy as a recreational activity. Its a job for them.

Sounds like a pretty big generalisation there!

Rick

by Rick

prendrefeu wrote:Working backwards:
-You state an absolute: "the speedplay wearers are always the first ones off the line at a criterium." So, proof of 'always'? Or just hyperbole? Or ASSumption? From first hand experience, it's a bullshit statement that a pedal choice determines "first one off the line." And does that determine a winner? Nope.

Calm down. I put a smiley after it and most normal people realize that I mean that as hyperbole. But it is actually my personal experience that speedplay users are going to generally be the fastest off the line. Don't believe me...go enter a criterium. Or talk to someone who has.

-All products break. You're using a psychology of confirmation bias: you look for something, you will find it. Here, let me search for "broken speedplay" on Google. Oh, look! Same thing can be done for [insert product here]

Yes....all products break. So what is your issue with speedplay ? My point is that EVERY pedal has a percentage of problems. That doesn't justify your rantings. have YOU actually used speedplay ?

-Your way of thinking about 'sucker' is a bit of a fallacy. How about an actual breakdown of the arguments as we're doing here?
-So you admit you have to carry around cleat covers? Add that to your weight total, bud.
-You also acknowledge the other issues of Speedplay that were brought up, so thanks for verification.

No....I showed that NO ONE ELSE COULD CORROBORATE any actual harrassment by speedplay even when I asked for specific examples.
Have they ever harrassed YOU in any manner whatsoever ?

Also, I didn't admit that I HAVE to carry cleat covers. I said I FINALLY got some. For both my speedplays AND MY DURA ACES.
I just can't understand why you have such an issue that yoiu are willing to deliberately twist my words.

Your claim of stack height? Nixed:
TriRig Mercury: any sided entry, lighter, no need for an adapter, no need to lube your cleats, no need to carry a cleat cover... and oh, 10.1mm stack height.

Work on your reading comprehension. I made no "claim" about speedplay stack height. I posted the actual value. It just so happens that it is lower than DA, Look, or Time. You found a lower one. Congratulations.
BTW: I also used the original Aerolites. THEY had a lower stack height than speedplay. I never claimed speedplay was the lowest.
I welcome continuing the discussion. Bring it.

If it is a "discussion" I will gladly continue to post the facts and my experience with speedplays. If you are going to be calling people "suckers" and challenging us to "bring it on" then you can just stew in your own feces.

Again, Speedplay? Meh. Some may consider them crap.

Some may consider your posts crap......just sayin'
Back to the topic: why are Pro's abandoning Speedplay Pedals?
In part, it's business. In part, if you're sponsored, you'll use it. If you aren't and you have a voice in the option, would you convince your team to use something else? Likely considering all of the issues with Speedplay.
Want to know what a pro really wants to use? See what products they use after they retire and are no longer sponsored.

So, basically....they are like every other sports product and you have no real knowledge about them at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

Bridgeman wrote:For those who have moved on from Speedplay to other pedals I am wondering how the increase in stack height has effected your position?

This is the main reason why I went to Speedplay. The lowered cg helped in numerous respects.

When I went from speedplay to DA I did not change anything else, even though you "should" in theory. I suspected that my saddle was a bit too high anyway, so when I went to DA I just left it the same. I think that there is supposed to be a 2mm difference, but that is just from memory. Anyway, they felt fine so I just rode them that way. When I went BACK to speedplay, I felt like my leg was a little too extended so I did drop the saddler ~1.5mm. Either way it was just barely enough to be noticeable. I didn't change the bars or setback in either case, but those things were "evolving" a few mm on their own independently of pedal changes.
Frankly, I wouldn't switch to speedplay just to get lower stack height. It doesn't seem like a big enough deal one way or another to me.
To me, the features are free float and ease of entry. But now that I reflect on the whole thing I remember that I did scrape my Dura Ace pedals twice in corners when I had NEVER scraped a speedplay, an I had developed the habit of not even thinking about it. You can pedal through turns at full speed on SP, bu you need to give the pedal strokes a little bit of thought when using DA.