Why are Pro's abandoning Speedplay Pedals?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wingnut

by Wingnut

CP I quoted neeb,

The fault is with the Weight Weenies site, I quoted as per usual but it decided to list you as providing the dialogue...no words being put in your mouth...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CP

by CP

Ok All is cool

civdic

by civdic

This might be a little off topic, but it kind of relates. I frequent a coffee shop that two former pro's and a former olympic cyclist visit. They all rode carbon up until they retired from cycling. All three are on steel bikes now, one is an older repainted unmarked Pinarello, the other is a Bridgestone RB-1 and the former olympian rides a stock Ritchie with a wicked amount of spacers. A writer for Canadian Cyclist was speaking to one of them this past summer in passing, and asked why he didn't ride his Pinarello? His response was "It really isn't comfortable or fun, it was just a tool to get the job done. I just pull it out for the grand fondo rides I've committed to."

neeb

by neeb

When did they retire? Are they still in good shape or have they put on a few pounds? Just curious.

civdic

by civdic

One just retired. I wish I could name drop cause you would be impressed, but I don't have their permission. He's in fantastic shape. The other is a bit older, someone everyone knows, and he's still in fantastic shape. He's put on a few, not as lean as he once was. The former olympian is in great shape as well. She doesn't cycle as much as she runs.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Guys like that, doesn't matter what bike they are on, they will put a beat down on anybody...and they enjoy doing it on some steel clunker just to pump their egos...

wickedwheels

by wickedwheels

Oswald wrote:Money.

I'd have to agree

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

Causidicus wrote:I thought this was supposed to be a discussion about why 'Pros' are 'abandoning' Speedplay rather than the merits of Speedplay as a system.

I agree, some people are too busy flinging poo. :evil:

neeb

by neeb

What I don't get is the assertion that the "abandoning" belonging to a single unspecified pro might be equivalent to speedplay pedals, never mind why that might be the case. Discussions here never seem to stick to the original subject.. :wink:

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

This thread needs closing, stupid.