HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:35 pm 

Cheers,
And merry christmas

As the headline suggest is there any specific reason regarding why Pro's are abandoning Speedplay Pedals ? Like performance (powertransfer etc) versus Look, Shimano and Time?

Or is it just a plain coincidence of new sponsor agreements?

Last edited by Bregnhoj on Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:36 pm 

Money.

Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:36 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:31 pm 

Pro's are abandoning Speedplays?

I thought their pedal choice was largely linked to the team they are on and as such not really something "they are abandoning". Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that Shimano or Look or someone else is probably paying more to be the pedal sponsor for the team resulting in the "abandoning of Speedplays"?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:12 pm 

And that was exactly my question, SolidSnake.

So let me rephrase - Why are Pro Teams abandoning speedplay pedals?

I just thought, that in theese days with the marginal gains of Team Sky, there might be a competitive reason when teams choose to ditch speedplays.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:16 pm 

I think the last genuine mass abandoning of pedals was probably the time tbt, everyone from there on in has been paid to ride pedals (with a few exceptions).

It might be that speedplay have been spending their sponsorship budget on legal fees.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:12 am 

To me it seems simple enough that a giant like Shimano has 100x the money of Speedplay so it just comes down to numbers, even if Speedplay is doing very well financially they will NEVER have the financial power and capacity of Shimano *most popular pedal in the pros I would argue*. Shimano can just "out buy" Speedplay to get more teams on their pedals. Seems straightforward that Shimano is most likely pushing more teams to go "all in" on their stuff like components, bars, saddles, pedals etc...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:35 am 

I imagine a number of these riders will be back on Speedplay when racing starts. I don't think it's uncommon in the off season to see 100% sponsor correct gear for the media circus and then back to shoes/pedals/saddles etc that actually work for the rider...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:26 am 

Given there's no unclipping (aside from punctures) for the Pros, I fail to see there's any benefit to Speedplay to a Pro beyond the marginal stack height gains if running four hole shoes. Most don't, so there's even less of a an argument for Speedplay. I doubt the float has any bearing on their choice as most are fitted to their bicycle correctly and any float required would be amply provided by any of the 3 hole systems around.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:59 am 

Because they suck as a pedal system?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:20 am 

I still love my Speedplay pedals. I'm on an original set of X1 and X2 on each of my two road bikes. I'll never use another road pedal system.

I think the answer to the OP lies completely in contractual obligations. Very few riders have any say in what equipment they actually use. You have to be a very big name to specify certain component or clothing choices. The only exception I see among less famous members of the peloton are shoes and saddles.

English Custom Steel Internal di2
Litespeed Ghisallo

Last edited by xnavalav8r on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:49 am 

I don't use speedplay, but I'd think that the ability to place speedplay cleats further back than normal 3hole pattern shoes as well as more cornering clearance are definite advantages.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:33 am 
Administrator

As others had mentioned its economics. I know from an inside source a frame/bike manufacturer had to supply a 100 frames/bikes and $600,000 to be the "team" sponsor. Very steep for anyone small in the industry.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:17 am 

Xamples plz?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:37 am 

Still a pretty good deal than those who have to step up as the main title sponsor when big banks and insurance and other sponsors are fleeing the sport altogether. How much is BMC's budget? 50 million?

Juanmoretime wrote:
As others had mentioned its economics. I know from an inside source a frame/bike manufacturer had to supply a 100 frames/bikes and $600,000 to be the "team" sponsor. Very steep for anyone small in the industry.

Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:37 am 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:19 am 

elviento wrote:
Still a pretty good deal than those who have to step up as the main title sponsor when big banks and insurance and other sponsors are fleeing the sport altogether. How much is BMC's budget? 50 million?
More like €10-12 million. Sky's first year budget was well publicised in the UK press at £9.5 million. And I think Rabobank had the highest budget up to a couple of years ago. In the €15ish million bracket.

Don't forget, a lot of the headlining riders huge "salaries" are nothing of the sort, it's made up of personal sponsorships and equipment deals plus a salary from the team. Not to mention there have been some big cuts in budget over the last couple of years too.

And 100 frames plus $600000 (a lot of it probably provided as equipment) isn't anywhere near as much as it sounds. The $3000 frame and forks built up into a $10000 (retail) bike probably only costs the equipment provider around 40% of the headline figure. And it'll probably be written off against their advertising budget too. So less tax to pay.

Still big figures make great advertisements.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next