BMC TeamMachine SLR01 Fit Opinions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CamMancuso

by CamMancuso

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2012 BMC TeamMachine SLR01 frameset through my shop for a price I can't turn down (leftovers being blown out). He said he could get me a 47 or 50cm. I am a hair shy of 5'7" (I believe I come out to 171-172cm), and am not sure which of the two to go with. The 2012 BMC website lists it's "recommended" size in correlation to height next to the frame sizes and it says I am well within the range for a 50cm but I'd like to have a few other opinions. I don't have a dealer within a few hours of me that would have one in stock to test otherwise I would have done so. Any positive input would be appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Duplicate
Last edited by Wcl4 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

These run a touch large. I have a 53 impec and 54 tmr01. Both are smaller than the 53 slr01 which I used to own. I fit right in the 55 measurement, but I could have fit on a 50. I am 178cm with 84cm inseam. Not sure that helps you, but it makes me think if you normally run a long stem, the 47 would work, and a 110mm or less stem would be more appropriate with the 50.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

In support of a fellow weight weenie, I suggest you get in touch with speedtheory.co.nz who can advise (for a minimal outlay) esp useful if you let him know of your current bike and set-up.
I've tried explaining (badly) on this board the maths involved but really should've left it to speedtheory who has excellent tools and know-how.
Less is more.

vlastrada

by vlastrada

i would suspect the 47cm option could work though it will also depends how flexible you are etc

I am 176.5cm, 84cm inseam and I have a 50cm SLR01 with 120mm stem

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=112627&start=30

CamMancuso

by CamMancuso

Still a little torn on this. I would rather run a 120 stem on the 47. 47 just sounds small to me I guess. I do have fairly short legs which is what is making me question the 50..a 52 seat tube is rather large
Last edited by CamMancuso on Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

lannes

by lannes

Definitely the 50cm, you can fine tune with the stem length

CamMancuso

by CamMancuso

I don't mind running a longer stem on the 47, I prefer a longer stem. I just don't know how small the 47 is really going to be, I don't want to be completely slammed over it, but I also don't want to have the seatpost jacked down on the 50 either

the 2012 TeamMachine SLR01 Geo for the 47 and 50 st and tt are below

47cm
Seat Tube C-T 49cm
Effective Top Tube 52cm

50cm
Seat Tube C-T 52cm
Effective Top Tube 53.5cm

vlastrada

by vlastrada

with a 84cm inseam, on a 50cm slr01 my seatpost sticks out by just over 17 cm, which is a decent, but not huge amount.

I would almost ignore the height -->size guidance from the BMC website:

http://www.bmc-racing.com/us-en/bikes/road/platform/altitude/teammachine/slr01/dura_ace_di2_/

according to this, at 176.5cm I should opt for the 54cm or 56cm (!!). Instead the 50cm is perfect for me, as I like aggressive positions.

Ultimately it depends on your biomechanics, flexibility etc

jipperd

by jipperd

As a shop owner I've been to the BMC factory for their 2014 SLR01 and had a testride on their bikes. As said above the SLR runs a bit longer compared to other bikes. I'm 1.72m with a 80.5cm inseam I rode the size 50 with a 100mm stem. Below you'll find a picture of the bike setup.

As for your dilemma determine what size you need, it will all depends on your inseam and upper body length. If you're able to provide us your inseam or setup of your current bike (saddle height, length (saddle-handlebar), seat-bar drop. we'll be able to help you out even better.

CamMancuso

by CamMancuso

I am currently doubling my cross bike as a road bike, so it's hard to tell from that as it's set up in more of a tight upright position for racing cyclocross. My inseam (as measured with the competitive cyclist fit) is just shy 29 inches or 75cm (I believe), I have pretty short legs. My upper body is a little longer than my legs proportionally, but I do not have an extremely long torso or arms

The geometry on the 2014 is also slightly different at the seat tube. C-T is lists 50.5 and the 2012 is 52. It's not very much but when you have shorter legs as I do it is a bit of a concern. Has anyone ridden (or has one available to look at/test) a 47cm that could give any feedback on the fit of that?

I never took any measurements but here was my 48s Colnago C50 exactly how I had it set up. 110 stem..

DMF

by DMF

Seat tube length has nothing to do with fit, absolutely nothing at all. And top tube length has very little meaning without seat tube angle. Also check head tube length and stack height (as that will also say something about BB-drop.

Or just google 'Stack and Reach' to learn more about the basics of how to actually measure a frame. And just forget precisely everything you think you know about correlation between frame size and top tube length or seat tube length and leg length, that's LBS mumbo-jumbo to make it as simple as possible to fit the smallest amount of frame sizes to the largest available crowd of customers. Really not the right way to go about it...

CamMancuso

by CamMancuso

Never looked at it that way with the stack and reach, definitely throws and interesting twist into it. I cannot find the stack and reach on the C50, but I did look for the 51cm Cervelo R3 I had (the bike I liked the fit best of all road bikes I have owned).

It seems the 47cm 2012 TeamMachine has an almost identical reach (370) as the 09 R3 I had. It seems the stack is what is off though. I had a small spacer under the stem on the r3, I have become more fit and probably more flexible since and would have it slammed at this point in time. The stack on the 47 is only 506 vs the 522 of the R3. I'm afraid I'd have a bit of spacers under the stem. The 50 TeamMachine has a 530 stack which could work slammed down but seems a little too tall and the 378 reach seems to be pushing it as well. I may need to see if I can get a deal on another Cervelo at this point...

DMF

by DMF

You could g with a 0 degree Thomson stem, which would cut some spacers out of the equation, and IMO still look allright. Also don't forget to look at the seat tube angle (STA), if your old bike had a slack STA and you used a setback seatpost, and your new frame has a steep STA, you may not be able to get your seat in the right position.

Roughly speaking, 1 degree of increased/decreased STA moves the seat 1cm. Depending on seat height ofcourse, but roughly speaking and it's close enough to do your calculations on.

CamMancuso

by CamMancuso

Thanks everyone for all of the input. I called another fairly local shop I stop in once in awhile who are a Cervelo dealer. They gave me a great price on last years S3 that I decided to pull the trigger on. Yes, completely different bike from the TeamMachine, but I am familiar with the geometry the bike may just suit my style better

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com