2014 Cervélo R3 or S3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hlegs

by hlegs

I've finally outgrown my first road bike, an aluminum Cannondale Synapse, and this spring I plan on getting a Cervelo -- I've always dreamed of owning one. However I'm torn between the new R3 and S3 (mech ultegra). I live in Toronto which is pretty flat, but has it's share of rolling terrain in surrounding areas; climbs exceeding 100m vertical are rare. So, not flat like Florida, but certainly not mountainous. I do a bit of racing too -- Ontario masters plus some gran fondo type rides.

I've never ridden either the R3 or the S3, which I would certainly do before buying, but I'm curious what people think about the S3's aero vs the R3's weight/stiffness. The S-series seems way better on paper, and Cervelo seems to imply the same with their myriad of white-papers, etc., but the pros (Garmin) always seem to go for the R-series, even for flat stages.

Any thoughts?

GT56

by GT56

i have owned S's and R's

the S's do wear one out sooner because of their somewhat harsher ride, which I guess is the main reason why professionals (most of them featherweights) prefer the R

i am far from being featherweight but the S's harshness have made me switch back to R within a couple of months twice
Last edited by Frankie - B on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the quote. this is clearly a reply.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

legs 11

by legs 11

Why not think about something else? Cervelo??! Really, you could get far better value and performance in the longer term if you look elswhere.
It's only a Chinese made mass produced frame....nothing special.
My advice is, to try and see past the glossy advertising and look for some good alternatives instead.
Pedalling Law Student.

asdf123

by asdf123

What other brand are you referring to?

Posix1b

by Posix1b

I too would like to know, what could be better than a $2k for a 2014 R3?

JBV

by JBV

The R3 will be lighter and have a better ride, I think you will enjoy riding it much more than an S3. You can get similar aero benefits to the S3 with a skinsuit (or "aero" shorts/jersey) and/or an aero road helmet for the races you do. But I think you will enjoy riding the R3 every day more than the S3.

Aero road frames are, in general, suited to two groups of people:

1. Extremely accomplished racers (rouleurs and sprinters mainly) who have already maximized other potential advantages (aero, weight, pack skills, position, tactics, etc), and are willing to sacrifice a few grams and some clearance for a marginally faster frame.

2. People who like the aero look of these frames, and either don't ride a lot, or don't ride on dirt roads (many of them have limited clearance for 25-27mm tires), or are just willing to accept the compromises that come with an aero frame.

I own an aero frame, btw. But if I didn't race I'd definitely choose an R3 over an S3.

prebsy

by prebsy

that new r3 frame is killer, BUY IT!

efeballi

by efeballi

I believe the reason why pros use the R-series is that they have more aggressive geometries, compared to S'es. Look at those gigantic head tubes and the angle of the top tubes of S'es.
Yes, the S looks more bling with the cutout and all, but the performance gains are minimal.
Definitely try both, but I vote for R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

JBV

by JBV

efeballi wrote:I believe the reason why pros use the R-series is that they have more aggressive geometries, compared to S'es. Look at those gigantic head tubes and the angle of the top tubes of S'es.

Stack, reach and head tube length are identical between R3, R5, S2 and S3.
http://www.cervelo.com/media/docs/S2-an ... a355-0.pdf
http://www.cervelo.com/media/docs/R3-f4 ... f024-0.pdf

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

legs 11 wrote:Why not think about something else? Cervelo??! Really, you could get far better value and performance in the longer term if you look elswhere.
It's only a Chinese made mass produced frame....nothing special.
My advice is, to try and see past the glossy advertising and look for some good alternatives instead.

OH SNAP!

This post is surely going to get WW's resident Cervelo fanboy (let's call him "kustpeepjedaling") out in full force.

OP: buy whichever frame you think looks and rides the best. The rest is pretty insignificant.
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

efeballi

by efeballi

JBV wrote:
efeballi wrote:I believe the reason why pros use the R-series is that they have more aggressive geometries, compared to S'es. Look at those gigantic head tubes and the angle of the top tubes of S'es.

Stack, reach and head tube length are identical between R3, R5, S2 and S3.
http://www.cervelo.com/media/docs/S2-an ... a355-0.pdf
http://www.cervelo.com/media/docs/R3-f4 ... f024-0.pdf

Ach, my bad. Geometries exactly the same.
Disregard that part of my comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

hlegs

by hlegs

Great points, thanks. I keep forgetting about other aero savings -- especially helmet.

Getter

by Getter

Has anyone actually tried the new S3? The seatstays look almost as thin as the R3...it also has the same taper in the headtube. The S2/S3 have the BBright bottom bracket now.

The features of the R3 are now on the S3. I would give the new S3 a shot before writing it off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGMN

by NGMN

Yeah, I think people should hold off on all the usual aero blather(harsh, not stiff, etc) until the new s series is in the wild. Its got way different tube shapes than the old one.