Campy 11s shifters with 11s sram rd and cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dvincere

by dvincere

I've seen some mixed information about this set-up. I want to run a SRAM RD with Shimano splined wheels and SRAM or whatever cassette with 11 speed Campagnolo shifters. It seems like this may work without any problems? I've mostly read that a Campy shifter with a Campy RD on a Shimano/SRAM wheel works well enough -- would using the SRAM RD help things work even better, like the old 10 speed campy/sram setup?

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

I've been curious about this as well. I think you will run into an issue because Campy and Sram shifters pull different amounts on cable per click. So, a Campy shifter will not shift up and down through the cassette properly when paired with a Sram rear derailleur. This is my understanding from the, admittedly little, research I have done on the topic. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I know the Campy 10 speed stuff could be made to work as mentioned by the OP. Sram derailleurs are certainly more budget friendly so if they could work it would be great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stefano

by Stefano

Campagnolo 10s shifters work ok with a sram rear derailleur in 10s. I have it. Not sure about 11s but my intuition says that if the sram derailleur pull is unchanged, (which it is) and the campy cable clicks are a little closer together (which they are) then it should be fudgeable. Thing is, since the cogs are closer, any cable pull discrepancy will be accentuated more than on 10s, so it may move from tolerable (where I have it now) to annoying or nonfunctional (depending on how anal you are about your gear.

As it is though, I see no reason to pick a sram derailleur over a campy one, especially because all of the 11s cassettes are cross compatible without messing around with different deraileur combinations

dvincere

by dvincere

It's for an upcoming CX build to be completely honest so it was just coming from a perspective of availability and cost. I just absolutely love Campy shifters compared to Shimano/SRAM and the ability to quickly dump and shift up so many cogs at once has been a real advantage. It's good to know that theoretically the compatibility is worse for 11 speed than 10 speed. Certainly not the direction I want to go.

dreweckhardt

by dreweckhardt

Stefano wrote:Not sure about 11s but my intuition says that if the sram derailleur pull is unchanged, (which it is) and the campy cable clicks are a little closer together (which they are) then it should be fudgeable.

The pull changed.

The Campagnolo 11 speed big cog has more overhang towards the spokes than the 10 speed one and 11 speed derailleur has a slightly higher actuation ratio to go the extra distance. A 10 cog Campagnolo derailleur won't make it all the way to the 11 speed big cog without modification.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Campagnolo claim the 10 speed rear mechs have the same geometry as the 11 speed. It is know that with 11 speed shifter and 10 speed Campagnolo rear mech will shift the chain on all 11 sprockets. I suspect it might work o.K camapg shifter with SRAM rear mech. I think Leaonard Zinn has an article about this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com