Yonex 650 gram frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

virenque

by virenque

http://www.cyclowired.jp/?q=node/123525

Made in Japan
650g
400,000 Japanese yen
Release date 2014 April

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Don't they make tennis racquets?
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

Sorry but I couldn't help myself

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Kind of a "backhand" move, wouldn't you say? :P

I like it but I'm still smitten w/ my NP bura sl. Those rear dropouts don't look like there's much to them.
Speedplay is the devil!

DMF

by DMF

Maybe I'm just blind, but do tennis rackets, I mean bikes not come with brake mounts, cable slots/stops and braze-ons these days? (a clamp on looks tight on that curved bottom seat tube...)

maxxevv

by maxxevv

That's interesting to say the least because they have been at the forefront of carbon fibre application in sports at least a decade before the first 'mass' production carbon frames appeared. They were producing monocoque rackets at the time when tube-jointed carbon frames were just starting out.

To think that they could do subtle carbon magic in a 90g badminton rackets all those 25+ years ago ( My first carbon monocoque racket was in 1990), their first true monocoque racket was in '84, before even Kestrel started in bikes. You could discern the characteristic differences between racket models even back then. By contrast .. carbon frames all felt 'dead' back then ! I'm actually surprised they took so long to jump into the arena.

Will be interesting to see what kind of ride characteristics they can imbue into their frames based on their carbon expertise. If they do it like what they did with their rackets, it will be some really interesting rides/frames indeed.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

As maxxevv noted, just because one company is 'known' for a certain type of product do not simply discount their capabilities in the cycling industry.

I mean, afterall, would you say the same thing about AX Lightness (they do F1 and motorsport), or NeilPryde (made their name known in windsurfing) among other examples?

Yonex knows their carbon. They may actually know composites engineering better than most of the 'name brands' you currently consider at the forefront of the industry. ;)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

rmerka

by rmerka

I totally agree, I just couldn't resist the cheap shot :oops: Campy nuts trash on Shimano all the time for making fishing gear. That certainly doesn't mean they don't know anything about bikes...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Looks like a 386EVO Bottom Bracket. :?:
Release date is April 2014.

Except for the news article on Yonex Japan's site, there is no other official information about the frame or their entry into the industry. There's no mention of this on the US site or their other international sites.

Early doors.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Looks promising. Not sure what size is pictured but that headtube looks like a proper height.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

DMF wrote:Maybe I'm just blind, but do tennis rackets, I mean bikes not come with brake mounts, cable slots/stops and braze-ons these days? (a clamp on looks tight on that curved bottom seat tube...)

FD mount would probably bonded and pinned after the phot and who knows, the cables could all be entering behind the headset for all we can see, exiting out the chainstay so hidden from these photos.

tinozee

by tinozee

Sick, I'd like to see what they come up with. 650 g sounds interesting.

uraqt

by uraqt

3 sizes s,m and L
$4,000USD
sounds like it's got "special Ti" in the carbon

I google translated the page

C

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

rmerka wrote:Sorry but I couldn't help myself

you need to incorporate golf in there some how too… they made some mighty fine golf shafts in their heyday
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

prendrefeu wrote:As maxxevv noted, just because one company is 'known' for a certain type of product do not simply discount their capabilities in the cycling industry.

I mean, afterall, would you say the same thing about AX Lightness (they do F1 and motorsport), or NeilPryde (made their name known in windsurfing) among other examples?

Yonex knows their carbon. They may actually know composites engineering better than most of the 'name brands' you currently consider at the forefront of the industry. ;)

Don't get me started on ax lightness! :lol:

I do like/use their saddles, however.
Speedplay is the devil!