Yonex 650 gram frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jooo

by jooo

It could just be a 'show' layer, but plain weave generally drapes better than uni over complex shapes so that could be a reason why they'd use it internally.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

djconnel wrote:It's a remarkably tight geometry range. Clearly the focus is on the Japanese market.

Unnecessarily so. Suggestion below is based on (10,20) progression starting from 365,505. Would be far more useful for fitting small riders.
Yonex3.PNG

A (10,15) progression would fall very close to where they actually are on the largest size.
I just feel it's a shame when company invests a lot of resource in, what appears to be, a high quality frame but haven't put the (almost no cost) thought into fit range.

tmchen

by tmchen

I cant fault them for this. They are just into the bike business and small local launch is more efficient than a global launch. Easier to deal with warranty and delivery for a small scale production.

dogg

by dogg

yeah I'm not sure what the fuss is about. aside from it making sense from a business aspect, the geo makes perfect sense for the (generally) smaller statured japanese folk. and even still, for having only 3 frame sizes there's still a pretty good range of fit given the 3cm increments.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Update: There is now a Carbonex HR (High Rigidity) model with slightly different geo and a straight fork.

http://www.yonex.co.jp/roadbike/frame_set/carbonexhr.html

Frame (size unknown): 783g
Fork (uncut): 350g

http://blog.zaq.ne.jp/touge/article/98/

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

sanrensho wrote:Update: There is now a Carbonex HR (High Rigidity) model with slightly different geo and a straight fork.

http://www.yonex.co.jp/roadbike/frame_set/carbonexhr.html

Frame (size unknown): 783g
Fork (uncut): 350g

http://blog.zaq.ne.jp/touge/article/98/

Looks like you can get another 100g off by stripping the paintwork...

sanrensho

by sanrensho

^^^In another link they say that the Carbonex HR model saves 25-75 grams off the paintwork in the regular Carbonex model.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

The S size is just a bit too tight for me, and the M too big, or I would be all over this...

Definitely sized for the Japanese market (short legs relative to reach, essentially), with very small lowest size, and the biggest being a medium.

I wonder where it is actually made though... Graphite Design is another Japanese brand that moved into cycling from another sport (golf, in their case). They made a big thing about being Japanese, but it ended up all being made in China like everything else... Not that it matters, but just wondering (and wondering where the price comes from)

stormur

by stormur

As about companies coming from other sport disciplines, Parlee should be mentioned at first, isn't it ?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Just saw this on Facebook, and there are also other pics of Eri Yonamine on the Yonex.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Can't seem to dinf a size bigger than a medium which is a shame.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

TheDarkInstall wrote:I wonder where it is actually made though... Graphite Design is another Japanese brand that moved into cycling from another sport (golf, in their case). They made a big thing about being Japanese, but it ended up all being made in China like everything else... Not that it matters, but just wondering (and wondering where the price comes from)

Claimed to be 100% MIJ at Yonex's Niigata Plant in Nagaoka City.

http://cyclist.sanspo.com/291949

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

sanrensho wrote:
TheDarkInstall wrote:I wonder where it is actually made though... Graphite Design is another Japanese brand that moved into cycling from another sport (golf, in their case). They made a big thing about being Japanese, but it ended up all being made in China like everything else... Not that it matters, but just wondering (and wondering where the price comes from)

Claimed to be 100% MIJ at Yonex's Niigata Plant in Nagaoka City.

http://cyclist.sanspo.com/291949

Cheers.

That will explain the lame graphic design then! Haha.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

On September 8, 2014, HammerTime2 wrote:
tranzformer wrote:Do they have a distributor for the USA?
O.k., so what the heck, I navigated a web form in Japanese (of which I know zero) to inquire on the Yonex website, and after struggling with how to enter my name in full-width Katakana (the solution was to leave it blank, which worked), and drop down menus and buttons in Japanese which Google translate did not translate.
ヨネックス お客様相談室 wrote:Re: 弊社全般・その他に関するお問合わせ
Dear Mr./Ms. <HammerTime2>

Thank you very much for contacting YONEX.

As for your inquiry, we are afraid that the CARBONEX sports bike frame is only available in the Japanese market at the moment.

We are sorry that we didn’t meet your expectation this time.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Best regards,

YONEX CO.,LTD.
International Sales Div.
I revently replied to Yonex's response from September 8, 2014 asking
Do you have an update on whether YONEX CARBONEX or CARBONEXHR bicycle frames are currently available for purchase in the United States? If not, are there plans to make them available in the United States in the future? Are the frames available for purchase anywhere in Europe, now or planned for the future?
Today I received a reply which is word for word identical to the one above from September 8, 2014.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

HammerTime2 wrote:
On September 8, 2014, HammerTime2 wrote:
tranzformer wrote:Do they have a distributor for the USA?
O.k., so what the heck, I navigated a web form in Japanese (of which I know zero) to inquire on the Yonex website, and after struggling with how to enter my name in full-width Katakana (the solution was to leave it blank, which worked), and drop down menus and buttons in Japanese which Google translate did not translate.
ヨネックス お客様相談室 wrote:Re: 弊社全般・その他に関するお問合わせ
Dear Mr./Ms. <HammerTime2>

Thank you very much for contacting YONEX.

As for your inquiry, we are afraid that the CARBONEX sports bike frame is only available in the Japanese market at the moment.

We are sorry that we didn’t meet your expectation this time.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Best regards,

YONEX CO.,LTD.
International Sales Div.
I revently replied to Yonex's response from September 8, 2014 asking
Do you have an update on whether YONEX CARBONEX or CARBONEXHR bicycle frames are currently available for purchase in the United States? If not, are there plans to make them available in the United States in the future? Are the frames available for purchase anywhere in Europe, now or planned for the future?
Today I received a reply which is word for word identical to the one above from September 8, 2014.

Surprised they didn't try to FAX their reply to you.