Colnago factory repaint?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

klingej

by klingej

Hi all,

Would anybody here know if Colnago does 'official' repaints? I have an all-black EPS Di2-specific that I'd love to have in the PR99 colorway.

Br Jonas

legs 11

by legs 11

They sure do. But don't be in a rush?
My C40 went back and it took over 6 months for it to re appear! Admittedly I wasn't bothered about it as I'd got another frame to keep me going in the mean time.
It was fantastic when it finally arrived though as I'd completely forgotten about it...... :lol:
On another note, I have a mate who crashed his C50 a couple of years ago whilst descending Mt Ventoux. The head tube was completely separated, extreme damage. He just sent it back direct to the factory expecting it to be thrown in the skip.........about 8 months later it re-appeared completely rebuilt and repainted without an invoice!! :shock:
Pedalling Law Student.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

choplee

by choplee

I think most frame manufactures will repair or custom paint as well as custom build frames for you which will all be at a sizeable price and colnago will send it back to Taiwan , so there's always a wait ....:-(

klingej

by klingej

Thanks for the answers!

Legs 11, hope you donøt mind a few follow-up questions; who (email / phone?) did you contact at Colnago to arrange for the repaint - and how much did they charge you for it?

Br Jonas

jipperd

by jipperd

Colnago does a lot of their repaint and custom paint in Belgium. You can contact your distributor directly for a Colnago repaint.

choplee

by choplee

jipperd wrote:Colnago does a lot of their repaint and custom paint in Belgium. You can contact your distributor directly for a Colnago repaint.

well that will cut the time down slightly on the paint job :)

legs 11

by legs 11

Klingej, mine went back through the Colnago distributor in Lyon. I was living in France at the time and was riding with the owner.
It was actually painted in Belgium I believe, at the official painters for the Benelux zone.
Have you tried Mike at Maestro? He can get them done at the same place.
Not sure on cost? Mine was done years ago, I seem to remember it was around the 250-300 Euro range. It certainly wasn't cheap, but was really nice (I'm still riding it even now. :thumbup: )
Pedalling Law Student.

geca

by geca

Recently (2. of. October 2013) I asked Colnago this:
Will it be possible to have these frames (2 pieces of frames - one EPS and one C59) repainted in new colouring (2013/14) colours if you get the frames totally stripped and sent through the danish distributor?
From Colnago Italy / Laura it got this answer:
Dear Gert

I inform you that we don’t offer repaint service and we don’t authorize anyone to make it
Regards
Laura

Therefore I do not think that you can get this service anywhere. If I am wrong - please inform me.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Curious... if the frame is out of warranty, who cares what Colnago states? Why not get it done by a reputable local frame painter?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

legs 11

by legs 11

I suppose the answer is, that until recently Colnago had a perfectly operational refinishing and repair department.
They offered a fabulous level of expertise at a reasonable cost. I don't think there are many independent painters that can offer the same level of expertise with the older style of paint on Colnago frames.
Why would you use an independent when you could get it done at the best?
Everything has changed at the Italian site in recent years.....all the old staff are gone, all the plant and expertise is gone.
It's just an office to arrange the distribution of Asian frames now (with very small exceptions) In a matter of years it will all be gone leaving only an office. :(
Pedalling Law Student.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Sad to hear that...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

klingej

by klingej

Powerful Pete wrote:Curious... if the frame is out of warranty, who cares what Colnago states? Why not get it done by a reputable local frame painter?

I'm not sure we have one in Denmark that has the necessary level of expertise. If any Danes are reading this - please correct me if I'm wrong!

PSM

by PSM

Colnogo does not have an authorized painter in Belgium.

They paint their C59 and M10 in Italy. The rest of their frames are painted in Taiwan.

synthesis

by synthesis

I'm not sure we have one in Denmark that has the necessary level of expertise. If any Danes are reading this - please correct me if I'm wrong

Dibbern is the one and only place to get your frame painted in DK.

http://www.dibberndesign.dk/cykellakeringer.html

Or this guy in Germany: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk9G8Krkqd4

PSM

by PSM

WoW! That Youtube clip!!

But is it still an "original" Klein? :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com