2014 Shimano R320 road shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ricks

by ricks

Yes, the R320 has a very roomy toe box. If its too big, you can get it heat molded (hence the bigger toe box - can be shrunk but not expanded). The only change to the 320 was last year where Shimano is now sewing the red liner, before they were gluing and the glue would fail. Its fixed on all new shoes. Other than that, the R320 is THE MOST COMFORTABLE AND BEST FITTING shoe I have ever worn! They did their homework on this one!

The R260 - stand by as I just got a pair in to test. What Ive heard is that there is very little difference between the two shoes.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I've been riding my 2014 320s for about a month now. They are the wide version.

I have one pretty big complaint about them. For the wide version, Shimano does not use a wider carbon sole. It simply uses a wider foam base insole inside the shoe, with more material around it to widens the shoe. My problem with this set up is that the insole used is not rigid. It's a dense foam, and I find my feet often bend it causing some discomfort.

I would have preferred a wider carbon outsole or a rigid insole.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I finally made it to a bike shop that had wide Shimano's in stock. I tried on the r320 and r170. Both felt too narrow, for me and for what I expected (I couldn't even buckle some straps). Is there a way to tell if these really were the wide versions? The shoes and the box made no mention of wide or standard. The bike shops price label said they were wide. I asked the employee and he guaranteed they were wide versions.

GT56

by GT56

the wide versions have an E added to the model / type: R320 wide is R320E

on the shoe itselves, it says 'wide' clearly visible on the tongue

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Thanks! Neither of these shoes were wide then. Bummer.

Roundabout

by Roundabout

Bought a pair, too wide in the toe box but shorter and a bit loose in the heel cup so didn't end up working out. Ended up with a set of Bont Vaypor, easily the most comfortable and stiffest shoes after dealing with molding (notable upgrade from 2011 S-works)

steel515

by steel515

Do you think for a fee Shimano dealer would let me mold a shoe I bought online?
Is Shimano going to make shoe with a dial tightener?

jooo

by jooo

kind of :?

mangoisdelicious

by mangoisdelicious

steel515 wrote:Do you think for a fee Shimano dealer would let me mold a shoe I bought online?
Is Shimano going to make shoe with a dial tightener?

They'll do it for a fee. Some shops as low as $25ish, some double that.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I apologize for bringing this thread up from the recent dead....

The heal bumpers on my shoes are beginning to wear down, and I'd like to replace them or remedy this somehow.

Are the heal bumpers replaceable? Does anyone know? I remember reading this somewhere, as someone mentioned it in a thread (or at least I thought someone did), but I can't seem to find that instance.

Has anyone tried using SuGru (link) on their shoes? Does it work?

Thank you.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

hmai18

by hmai18

The heel pads on the R320s aren't replaceable, which is probably my only complaint about the R320.

If yours are worn down completely or getting there, I'd suggest taking it to a cobbler and seeing if they can cut away whatever of the stock rubber is left and what kind of a hard rubber heel they can shape and glue on for you.