Shimano RS81 C50 wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lindsaywollin

by lindsaywollin

I've recently stopped racing bmx to focus on coaching it but bit the bullet and bought a Giant TCR Advanced 0 (the Di2 one) I'm looking at upgrading the wheels to something with a deeper rim section. At the moment I'm liking the Shimano RS81 C50 wheels, I can get good prices on wheels through work but these look like a relatively strong and lightweight wheelset. From what I'm told, they come in at an ultegra level. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quattrings

by quattrings

I have the rs80 c50, which is the previous version. Don't know if they aredifferent in any way but those are pretty bombproof. I use them in the summertime for racing and training. A nice stiff wheel, a little on the heavy side but they roll very nicely.
They need some servicing every year (every 5-8k) but as with all Shimano wheels it's a breeze. I would advise them as a solid allrounder.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lindsaywollin

by lindsaywollin

other than the aesthetics of the wheel, the only difference is that they're 11 speed compatible as far as i'm aware

bombertodd

by bombertodd

the 81's are wider too.

lindsaywollin

by lindsaywollin

any benefit to wider rims do you reckon? i've heard they're good for lighter weight riders. i'm as light as they come weighing in at 57 kg

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I'd recommend them. I noticed much better cornering with wide rims.

lindsaywollin

by lindsaywollin

I'm torn between the C50's and the C35's, i'm not too worried about the added weight of the 50's because i'm a lightweight anyway. it's more that the 35's are cheaper and i'm less likely to be blown around with them. would i really notice much of a difference with the deeper section of the 50's over the 35's?

NealH

by NealH

If you typically do more than your fair share of pulling the group, the C50 is probably the better option....although its difficult to quantify.

If you routinely sit in the pack, the C35 will be fine, and a little lighter, and less affected by the wind. It should be the better "all-around" wheel set.

Either one will be excellent though. These Shimano wheels are as good as they get.

lindsaywollin

by lindsaywollin

I reckon i'll give the 50's a crack, my current wheels are stock Giant SPL-0's with a 24mm section. the hub's are just rebranded DT Swiss hubs so i might lace those to some 35 rims later or something

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com