November Rail 52 or 404 FC CC

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rijndael

by rijndael

It's time for a new set of wheels. I'm considering the November Rail 52, built with White Ind T11 hubs, or a Zipp Firecrest 404 Clincher set. My price for the two is essentially the same, so I'm only concerned with performance differences.

Has anyone out there ridden both? Any noteworthy differences? Which one gets the nod for best braking?

I like the Rails, because I can have them built with a higher quality hub, but there's a lack of data points for user experiences. And if I'm not happy with them, I'm sure the 404s will be easier to resell.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I think you just gave your own answer. When getting the zipps, get a set with the new 2x on both sides rear hub.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rijndael

by rijndael

Yep, if I go Zipp, I plan to confirm a v9 rear hub before taking delivery.

But you're right, I'm probably leaning in that direction.

spud

by spud

playing devil's advocate, how many iterations does it take to make a reliable and light rear hub?
On a more practical level, I looked at a new 404 rear today, and the spoke tension seemed pretty low, certainly way lower than I have on an old set of Edge/Enve composite rims on DT hubs.
But certainly they'll be easier to sell on if you don't like them.

rijndael

by rijndael

spud wrote:how many iterations does it take to make a reliable and light rear hub?
I don't know. But I also don't have a history on the 188 beyond what's posted here: http://www.zipp.com/support/identify/hub_timeline.php

What kind of change warrants a new version number? At least one of the versions was to accommodate 11 speed, rather than to fix an issue with the hub.

ergott

by ergott

I'm a happy user of the Rail 52s. I've been on them for a few months now and will continue to test them out this winter. Not afraid to beat on them at all. I've hit some gnarly potholes with them already.

bobalou

by bobalou

rijndael wrote:It's time for a new set of wheels. I'm considering the November Rail 52, built with White Ind T11 hubs, or a Zipp Firecrest 404 Clincher set. My price for the two is essentially the same, so I'm only concerned with performance differences.

Has anyone out there ridden both? Any noteworthy differences? Which one gets the nod for best braking?

I like the Rails, because I can have them built with a higher quality hub, but there's a lack of data points for user experiences. And if I'm not happy with them, I'm sure the 404s will be easier to resell.

I'm just wondering where you can find the Firecrest 404 clincher at the same price as the Rail 52? Is it a new wheelset? The Rail 52 with T11 is 1425 on their website.

Thanks.

rijndael

by rijndael

bobalou wrote:I'm just wondering where you can find the Firecrest 404 clincher at the same price as the Rail 52?
Just to be clear, I said it was essentially the same, not the same. I can get the FC 404s for < $1800 with a team discount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

That's a 20% price difference, which I don't know I'd call essentially the same. However, at sub $1800, you could probably buy the 404's and sell them for a wash. The new zipps should be better braking. Stiffness, I'd bet the Rail wins. Aero wise, the Rail does better at lower yaw angles, IIRC, but the 404 does better overall.

November has a 30 day return policy btw...You could just buy both, and see if the new 404FC justifies the price difference...And post a detailed comparison for the rest of us :)

That all being said, I have a pair of Rails, and have been happy with them. They've been great, and are still stupidly true, and have survived some bad pot holes that I was sure were going to cause damage at the time of impact