help an injured WW - my FRANKENTRAINER project

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

motorthings

by motorthings

does anyone here have a 10 speed road frame lying around with a damaged head tube, top tube, seat tube, or seat stays that renders it worthless for them. for shipping + cheap/free, i'd like to take it off your hands and turn it into FRANKENTRAINER.

i've been recovering very slowly from proximal hamstring tendinosis over the last year, and am still unable to ride a normal road bike. though it goes against every ounce of my pride, i am realizing that i may have to go recumbent for a while until the healing process is complete. the main problem is that any road saddle aggravates the tendon. it has royally sucked to go from racing (at my best form ever) and riding 150-200 miles a week to zero with dwindling hopes of coming back, so any way i can get back on the bike/road is a valid option at this point.

since it is the winter, i am trying to build up a recumbent trainer that uses my lemond revolution trainer, and uses a recumbent-style seat.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I wish I had a frame for you.......I had to comment because the PBR cases are an AWESOME idea!!

Hope you recover soon :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorthings

by motorthings

thanks!

motorthings

by motorthings

btw - i am located in st. louis, mo

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Ahh some quality innovation!!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I like your innovative thinking!

But I don't think it's going to work in that set up. Namely your legs will be a little too (read: uncomfortably) close to the cassette & rear derailleur. Actually there's a good chance they will be in your crotch, if not force you to move your legs in an awkward way which is not conducive to your goal of healing. If you look at an actual recumbent, they are designed in a way where the derailleur is nowhere near the body's moving parts.

One of my neighbors had the exact same injury as you did. He also rides - and is now back on the bike - and has a ton of training equipment that he was frustrated that he couldn't use. Guess what he bought? A cheap indoor cycling trainer. It worked.
You can always go more expensive if you want, but the point is that these things work to keep most of your fitness & form up. The higher-end versions will allow for more adjustability (read: ideal position of seat to BB).

Just look up "excerise bike" on Amazon, you'll see plenty of options.

Sell it when you're back on the bike.

:thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

motorthings

by motorthings

i have thought of that, and am planning to pivot the frame up further than in the image.

i did a couple of quick tests with my roadbike in the trainer and me sitting on an exercise ball behind it and ran into exactly the situation you describe. I think raising the BB higher off the ground will fix the clearance issues.

TimmS

by TimmS

why not just buy an old recumbent and fix it with your trainer?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Or just take your current bike (which you aren't riding anyway), take off the shifters and re-cable the drivetrain so it is more convenient to your new seating position (behind the bike and above the level of the drivetrain). Having a cut off frame is a bit wasteful unless you already happen to have one available and already cut.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Flyfishing3

by Flyfishing3

cool idea,

i had this in my Achilles and its what brought me cycling. Avid runner, after injury, years of PT, breaks etc etc. ended up needing surgery.

best of luck.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

My advice would be to join a gym for a few months. They all have recumbent trainers these days.

Good luck, whatever you do.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

motorthings

by motorthings

i already joined a gym with recumbent trainers (with massive q-factor and poor road feel, and no fans nearby), but want a better trainer at home, and a project!

motorthings

by motorthings

prendrefeu wrote:Or just take your current bike (which you aren't riding anyway), take off the shifters and re-cable the drivetrain so it is more convenient to your new seating position (behind the bike and above the level of the drivetrain). Having a cut off frame is a bit wasteful unless you already happen to have one available and already cut.

i thought about this too, but wanted to be able to easily switch between this and my roadbike to test out my recovery status, without recabling.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

If you need help emptying those PBR cases I can help

motorthings

by motorthings

once i am sponsored by PBR, i will employ you as an emptier, perhaps even chief emptier if your skills are worthy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com