Extremely confused about BB compatibility for my bike!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

m3ta1head

by m3ta1head

Hey guys,

I own a 2012 Specialized Allez Elite (specs here: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... pact#specs ). The bike originally came with a Hollowtech II BB and Tiagra crankset. The previous owner replaced those parts with a FSA Megaexo 6000 BB and Gossamer crankset.

I've been trying to figure out the BB standard for my frame with no luck-extensive googling has just left me more confused than ever. I can't seem to find a concrete answer.

I've recently won an auction for a SRAM Red BB30 crankset on ebay and am now unsure of whether it is compatible at all with my bike. Should I have bought the GXP version instead? Is it possible to fit it with an adapter set? Which BB should I purchase for this crankset? Any help would be much appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

Hi, Yes the GXP version is what you need along with this BB: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pag ... =1&minor=6

Your frame "Standard" is: English threaded BB. You can confirm this by looking at the frame and checking for BB cups.

The SRAM BB30 crank won't fit on your frame.

totoboa

by totoboa

If it's any consolation, I am nearly in the same boat. Not buying a Chinese carbon frame unless I am 100% certain we, I, they understand that we are getting me "English Threaded" BB. Way way way too much monkey lust malarkey for this boy.

m3ta1head

by m3ta1head

Thanks for the clarification fellas. I ended up working out a refund with the eBay seller for the Red BB30 crank and ended up getting a good deal on an Ultegra 6750 compact. Pretty stoked to get it installed and replace this POS FSA :)