Canondale slice rs - mechanical to di2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xsnailx

by xsnailx

i found a good deal on mechanical slice rs. so i am thinking of parting it and installing my components into it

What needs to be done if i want to convert mechanical ultegra slice rs to di2
I want to install di2 (10 speed, 7970).
is there a special kit ? or the parts come with stock bike ?

allenpg

by allenpg

I just sent mine back to Cannondale as part of the recall, otherwise I would shoot photos. The only part I can think of would be the external battery mount that goes under the rear brake. Does the cover to the rear brake on the mechanical version have screw holes? If so, you probably won't need any extra parts. This is where the Shimano battery mount would be attached. The cable guides used for the mechanical version is also used for Di2 for routing the brake cables, so you're good there.

Running all of the cables on this thing is a challenge. I'm not looking forward to putting mine back together. I upgraded my bike from the stock non-Di2 brake levers to the Dura Ace Di2 levers, so I learned how to run the cables back then.

NOTE: I'm running Di2 6770/9070, NOT the 7970 you mentioned in your post.

Good luck!
-Pete

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xsnailx

by xsnailx

Thanks Pete for the valuable information :) i will ask the seller about the cover.
I gladly accept any cabling challege - i already have self made internal battery in my cinelli :)
what puts me back is that i am not sure if my current bike (link below) is worth upgrading:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=106109
how much i will gain ?

allenpg

by allenpg

Wow...nice bike!!! Personally, I'd keep your current bike if you like it. Do you mostly do tris or TTs? I know of many very fast guys here in SoCal on older TT bikes that MIGHT gain a few seconds with a newer super bike. I haven't seen data, but folks on the Slowtwitch forums say they've seen wind tunnel results that put the Slice RS on par or better than the Shiv TT or Speed Concept.

If money isn't an issue and you don't mind tinkering, the Slice RS is pretty cool. The ride and handling are awesome. I needed a new bike anyway when I got mine, since my old Felt B2R had a cracked frame. I also have a Chinese TT frame for training. The Slice RS is definitely unique in most areas populated with Cervelo and Specialized bikes. I just did a TT a few weeks ago in strong winds on a curvy downhill (return uphill course) and finished ahead of several riders who normally beat me. I think my Slice RS played a big role in this.

Again, if you're super fit and are primarily focused on training, you'll probably be fastest on a Cervelo P3 with a well fit and trained position. The good news is that your Cinelli has many of the features of the P3 (like many other companies have copied). Of course, so much of what we do in TTs comes down to training #1, then position, our clothing, helmet, and wheel selection.

Good luck and you can't go wrong with either your current bike or getting a Slice RS...:)

xsnailx

by xsnailx

I do mostly TTs, for the real tri training i dont have enough time unfortunately (max i can do is 12h/week).
The longest TT i participated had 100 km, but this one is only once a year. Most of my races are up to 30 km.
since i do not participate in mass start races - i do spend most of my training time on tt bike (approx 80%)

i in fact i wanted to retain my current bike for a few sesons more until i reach the best position wich i can achieve (i still have some reserves and work wich can be done)
and then move new one based by the fit coordinates.

but the price for slice rs is tempting. and the fact that i can stick normal 31,8 bars there - not the integrated ones like for example speed concept.

i really do like my bike and the only thing that bothers me is non integrated stem wich i wanted to solve with above cannondale (of course having more aero frame is a plus)