November Bike's New Frame - Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobalou

by bobalou

Update! I was surprised to see this thread still getting significant hits so I've decided to delete what I could of my review, including some of my original pics. This original post was from 2013 and about their earlier frame "sample" that I got to demo. The bike was to be called the "dojo". I truly had hoped that frame was going to go to market - but it died. You can read their blog if you want to learn about that. One of the nice things about November is they try to remain "transparent". Thus, they'll talk about that frame and their experience with it dying. It's informative about the bike industry itself in some ways. I don't think it was good for them but I do think they learned from it.

THUS - if you're looking for information on their most recent new frame (I believe it's called the "Timoneria") -- refer to their website. This "review" has nothing to do with that. I've never ridden or even seen the Timoneria in person.

To give some perspective to this thread I'll say I got to demo their sample frame, the one this thread is about - perhaps out of sheer luck. I was Mike's neighbor and our kids grew up and went to school together. Mike knew I was a bike nut and would but their frame through it's paces - so, he dropped it by one afternoon. I was lucky to ride it for many weeks. I did love that frame, I happened to be in the market for a new one at the time. At that time they were doing a pre-order which had certain goals to meet in order to come to market. I thought my review might help get the word out on to those interested - particularly weight weenies. They were close to meeting their goals and I thought a review might be a good idea.

In the end, the frame died because in all likely hood, the supplier from Taiwan did a bait-n-switch on them. November did finally meet their goal - a significant pre-order of the frame. It was a fantastic deal certainly for the customer. For whatever reason(s) I certainly am not privy to, Taiwan changed the specs on them. And they did so at the 11th hour. November canceled the order.
Last edited by bobalou on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Bobalou, did the store fit you for the frame you tested? It looks quite big based on the seatpost height.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Thanks for this. I ran across their website recently and found their blog posts refreshing.

Any others that can comment on the quality of these frames (no disrespect of course bobalou, just interested in a sample size of n+1). :wink:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

bobalou

by bobalou

[
Last edited by bobalou on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

@mike, I read this as a "loaner" bike... you get what you get and you don't get upset. ;-)

@bobalou, am I mistaken?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

DMF

by DMF

This doesn't seem like an advert in exchange for letting you use their bike, not at all... One thing if this was a small company making their own stuff, but really. How is this not just another one of the zillion other dealers of re-branded open moulds straight out of a chinese catalog? Fairly certain the T1000-upgrade is a ready option, just tick the box in the checkout.

bobalou

by bobalou

Powerful Pete wrote:Thanks for this. I ran across their website recently and found their blog posts refreshing.

Any others that can comment on the quality of these frames (no disrespect of course bobalou, just interested in a sample size of n+1). :wink:

None taken! A note on their previous frame, called the Wheelhouse. I actually never rode that one but am familiar with it. Their first foray into bike frames and not a bad one from what I have heard and read.

I had the privilege of watching November go through some growing pains with that first frame, perhaps (I'm guessing) they learned some lessons from that. Perhaps because of that or as a result of that .. I know they took extra time to get the dojo right, find the right supplier with the relationship and the build they were seeking.

Maybe a better way to judge - if a guy brings phenomenal beer to a party, but for himself to drink, that's the guy you want building your bike. Maybe that's their philosophy in a nutshell. They want the good stuff for themselves.

Powerful Pete wrote:@mike, I read this as a "loaner" bike... you get what you get and you don't get upset. ;-)

@bobalou, am I mistaken?

Good analysis. But I couldn't complain - I know the seat looks low but I loved the bike fit.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Bobalou, it sounds like you need a sloping frame for your size. Shorter standover height but longer top tube

bobalou

by bobalou

DMF wrote:This doesn't seem like an advert in exchange for letting you use their bike, not at all... One thing if this was a small company making their own stuff, but really. How is this not just another one of the zillion other dealers of re-branded open moulds straight out of a chinese catalog? Fairly certain the T1000-upgrade is a ready option, just tick the box in the checkout.

Well, it was never asked that I review it (or even hinted).

Mike and I know each other mostly because our daughters grew up together and are friends (they're 6 now so that's about how long I've known Mike). I knew from the beginning that Mike raced but over time watched him start the company with a friend. Fast forward a few years from there, I get to try some of their stuff - no strings attached. But really, the least I can do in return is talk about it. What would you do in the same fix? Nothing bad in that I think!!

I'm glad you bring up the chinese catalog. I think there is another blog where this was discussed (and November answered).. let me try to find a link. Their words are going to answer that better. But my feeling, I'd rather pay a little more and know what I'm getting and who I'm talking to then roll the dice on emailing with "nancy" from China. And it leads to other questions which I can't really answer - is the quality of the frame and customer service really comparable when buying direct from China?

bobalou

by bobalou

mike wrote:Bobalou, it sounds like you need a sloping frame for your size. Shorter standover height but longer top tube

Any recommendations? I have such a bike already, a Specialized Roubaix .. but still with the long stem. Short legs and long torso is good for tennis and raquetball but strange for bike fit.

glepore

by glepore

I'm a big fan of November's blog and their honesty. Had I not already bought an open mold frame (Hongfu fm066, ridden hard all season without issue) I likely would have bought one of theirs, simply because of the ease of warranty should that arise. They seem to put a fair amount of research into their sources, and there is some level of comfort there. My open mold experience was very satisfying but there was a bit of anxiety on the front end.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

DMF

by DMF

Well nothing wrong with open moulds, if you know what you're getting yourself into. And nothing wrong with bike shops or other retailers putting their own brand on such a frame in order to turn a profit.

I was more getting at the rather blatant sugar pouring of yours over this product, to which you yourself are sort of affiliated. To me, taking the actual content of your first post into consideration, it just smells like a pile of promotion/spam/advertisememt disguised as a forum post.

But that might just be me, so I'll end my ramblings here.

KWalker

by KWalker

What November is doing is no different than Ritte, but they don't slap a gaudy paint job on it and spam it on Instagram to hipsters. No bullshit approach and they don't hide anything. I haven't ridden their bikes, but respect them for that. Never met an unsatisfied customer of theirs and there are lots of their products floating around locally.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobalou

by bobalou

DMF wrote:Well nothing wrong with open moulds, if you know what you're getting yourself into. And nothing wrong with bike shops or other retailers putting their own brand on such a frame in order to turn a profit.

I was more getting at the rather blatant sugar pouring of yours over this product, to which you yourself are sort of affiliated. To me, taking the actual content of your first post into consideration, it just smells like a pile of promotion/spam/advertisememt disguised as a forum post.

But that might just be me, so I'll end my ramblings here.

Well, the best I can hope is maybe someone from November reads this and sees me taking flak for their product .. and I'll get a beer out of it or something. Otherwise, I'll be lining up like any other customer. I'll say it again as maybe I didn't put enough of a disclaimer in. I am in no way affiliated with November Bikes nor do I benefit in any way whatsoever from reviewing any of their products. I stand by all I said in my original post.
Last edited by bobalou on Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.