Lightweight, functional and value shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Milese

by Milese

I'm in the market for some new shoes to race in (RR's and crits).

I'd like something light, comfortable, stiff and affordable, which is quite predictable.

I've currently got some DHBs with a carbon sole that weigh in at 686g with Specialized footbeds, so hopefully I can save a bit of weight.

There seem to be some great prices around on the Fizik R3s and R3 SLs that weigh around 500g according to spec. The reviews say these are quality but a but heavier than the competition, however when looking around it doesnt seem others quote weight.

Any recommendations for something for around £100?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vdrey

by vdrey

Try the specialized experts. Carbon sole, light, boa dial and pretty cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Timujin

by Timujin

Ive had many shoes, top of range Sidi, DMT Prisma 2.0's, Bonts.. the most comfortable shoes I have ever had are my current specialized sworks 2013... really, worth every penny...

Milese

by Milese

Thanks for the replies.

The Spesh Experts look nice. Any idea on the weight?

Milese

by Milese

Any thoughts on the Giro ProLight SLX?

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaelten

by michaelten

Milese wrote:Any thoughts on the Giro ProLight SLX?

I have Giro Empires and Giro Factors and like them, I have tried on the ProLight and they felt similar to the Factors.

NealH

by NealH

Surprisingly the Spec Expert is suitably light weight. Its only slightly heavier than the S-Works. Its a great value oriented shoe that is well made and comfortable (on the right feet).

Lucas1234

by Lucas1234

Bont A-three's claimed weight is 270g per shoe, 4.8mm stack height and heat moldable. You can find them for less than 100 US dollars.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

michaelten wrote:

I have Giro Empires and Giro Factors and like them, I have tried on the ProLight and they felt similar to the Factors.

Prolights are about 100g less (225g/shoe) and $100+ more compared to Factors (275g/shoe). They are light and comfortable, but I found the velcro was low quality - the straps didn't hold very well (scary when riding hard), and the hook part of the velcro wore out in about a season. I am not very finicky with my shoes either, usually do the straps once or twice per ride and that's it. Factors have the same fit, upper, and EC90 sole as the Prolights but with a top buckle instead of velcro strap and feel much more secure. Empires are basically Prolights but with laces and about the same weight as Prolights (225g/shoe), and the laces would probably last much longer than velcro and easy to replace. If you look around Empires are about the same price as Factors right now (~$150 or less if on sale). Ultimately it depends on which closure system you prefer. :beerchug:

kauphy

by kauphy

I have Giro Factors and I'm very happy with them. They're on sale at nashbar for $99.

HakeemT

by HakeemT

Giro Factors here as well. Appear to be well made, I like the fact that it comes with the adjustable arch footbed thingy, reasonably light while being comfortable, and relatively cheap. Quite durable too, have been using them for just over a year now and they still look as new.

michaelten

by michaelten

Wojchiech,

The velcro was the reason I bought the Factors over the ProLights. I didn't think the velcro straps would last too long.

Milese

by Milese

wojchiech wrote:
michaelten wrote:

Prolights are about 100g less (225g/shoe) and $100+ more compared to Factors (275g/shoe). They are light and comfortable, but I found the velcro was low quality - the straps didn't hold very well (scary when riding hard), and the hook part of the velcro wore out in about a season. I am not very finicky with my shoes either, usually do the straps once or twice per ride and that's it. Factors have the same fit, upper, and EC90 sole as the Prolights but with a top buckle instead of velcro strap and feel much more secure. Empires are basically Prolights but with laces and about the same weight as Prolights (225g/shoe), and the laces would probably last much longer than velcro and easy to replace. If you look around Empires are about the same price as Factors right now (~$150 or less if on sale). Ultimately it depends on which closure system you prefer. :beerchug:

How many miles is a season? Was the Velcro naff to start with or only as they age?

There aren't any cheap factors available in the UK, but the prolights are around for about £110.

Other reviews I've read were quite positive about the Velcro.

eric

by eric

I have a pair of Prolights bought about a year and a half ago. I wanted to like the Specialized shoes but they're not the right shape for me.

The velcro has been just fine for me. Holds well and has not worn out.

The sizing runs a little small.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com