CERVELO R5 2014 weights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Naturel

by Naturel

Hello,

Does anybody know the real weight of the R5 2014 frame (especially in 54)?

Thank You.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

Don't think they have shipped yet. The R5 shown at Interbike, had a different fork then what is currently listed on Cervelo's web site. My assumption is that Cervelo is still "work on it".

C

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

As far as i remember, it is around 20 grams lighter than last years. Something like low 810s grams

Permon

by Permon

Last year R5 was lighter than 2014 model year!
My R5 2012 edition was 780grams in size 56.

Cervelo is playing a game with us saying it is ligher than previous version.....it is not!
They are comparring it to R5 2011 model year.
But in 2012 they brought R5VWD, which was ligher.....

xena
Banned

by xena

It would be nice if bike company's clearly listed the weight of the frame. It's not a lot to ask. Instead they seem to do their best to complicate things.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Listing weights would be foolish at best. I don't make parts or manufacture anything for the public, but to make a large piece like a bike frame and to have the same weight for thousands of them would be difficult. What do you do if the frame weights too much? Throw it away? Grind material away? If it is too little? Pitch that too? Add weight?

Ok, so as a company you do show the weight, then you get threads/posts like this that say you're a liar, since the weights are not truly lighter than last year.

Either way, you loose. The expense to be right would be too much. Better left unsaid.

xena
Banned

by xena

I agree to some extent. I understand that with carbon there can be a weight difference but if your paying 2 or 3 thousand pounds for a frame then I don't think asking how much the frame weighs is to much. There should be some consistency with the manufacturing process.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

rijndael

by rijndael

Why can't the weight be listed with a range?

Size 54: 900g (+-55g)

racer1

by racer1

A range is tough as well cause if a company weighs a 48cm at lets say 900 grams and the 62cm weighs 1050 grams you have such a wide range that it still does not answer your question unless the specify sizes. I had a Cervelo S3 in the Thor red paint job that weighed 130 grams more than the stock S3 paint job. You also have the issue of the company weighing a painted frame or nude. There are lots of variables that are probably easier for the company to not have to deal with.

tinozee

by tinozee

Imo ideal would be showing a ~50g range for the largest size. Some non-marketing standard that all companies provide as a stat. But I guess this debate depends on who you sympathize with - the customer, potential victim of marketing, or the manufacturer trying to compete in a non exact realm. I think if they don't show a clear weight range within 50g, they shouldn't brag about low weight in marketing.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

But one company's largest size almost certainly isn't the same as another company's largest size. Same goes for the rest of the sizes. You can compare a company's weights within its range of bikes, but not to other bikes, which would clearly be what the end user would attempt to do. Cervelo clearly has laid out what the RCA weight ranges are because they have a clear control of the production from start to finish. Varying ways of weighing frames has led to many many other manufacturers understating the weight of their frames, much to this forum's displeasure

rijndael

by rijndael

racer1 wrote:if a company weighs a 48cm at lets say 900 grams and the 62cm weighs 1050 grams

I'm not proposing a weight range that spans different sizes of frames. They should pick a medium/54 or 56, and say this frame weighs 900g (+-55g).

Your never going to get every mfr to offer a weight for a similar sized frame, you'll have to extrapolate. Let them pick one and post it. We can't even get all manufacturers to post stack and reach numbers.

tinozee

by tinozee

I know frame sizes differ from company to company, so do shapes, and both can effect weight. But it does not stop companies from using weights and claims of lightness as marketing tactics. Leave it up to the consumer to decide if the weight range for a given size is valuable info, I think it would be. Consumers know how to look at and compare geo charts from different manus to know their size, and then they would know the weight if it's provided. Doesn't matter if it's 56, smallest, largest, etc. It's not so hard for a manufacturere to do this, they just don't want to do it.

Honestly though, the best data for actual weights of frames comes from passionate bike part lovers posting scale pics on forums like this one. It's a good thing that the community does this and you can be sure the manus know about it, especially if it's exposing BS low weight claims.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Tinozee is right. Plus I would not want to pay the additional cost for all the logistics to weight the frames.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trex021

by trex021

Cervelo does publish the frame weights of their RCA, complete with min and max ranges.
But that's not really comparable to the rest of their Asian made line.

Cervelo discusses industry standards and the problem with weight comparisons here http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/ask-the-engineers/industry-standards-part-1.html