HSC Carbon Fiber / Ceramic Hybrid Jockey Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Not much info available on these derailleur pulleys. Looking to replace the pair on my 3 year old SR RD. I know the vast majority would recommend going with the Campy OEM replacement but am looking to explore other options. Aluminum and titanium pulleys make too much noise and are therefore not being considered.

Appreciate any feedback from anyone who has tried these pulleys. These HSCs come in 3 models: delrin w/ hybrid ceramic bearings; carbon fiber w/ hybrid ceramic bearings; and carbon fiber with full ceramic bearings -- I'm considering the carbon w/ hybrid bearings. Thanks in advance.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Juanmoretime wrote:According to Friction Facts the Tiso full ceramic titanium is the best. Saves a few watts.

Yep -- read about that but my concern is the metallic sound they make, hence the preference for carbon pulleys. Thanks for the feedback though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Horacio

by Horacio

I had these for my LBS to install on my Wilier with 9070 Di2. For some reason, they couldnt get it tuned just right with the HSCs. Ended up just going back to the original pulleys. Bummer.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Horacio wrote:I had these for my LBS to install on my Wilier with 9070 Di2. For some reason, they couldnt get it tuned just right with the HSCs. Ended up just going back to the original pulleys. Bummer.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably just return them.

MJHsurfin

by MJHsurfin

Have the Carbon / Hybrid Ceramic HSC ones on my Felt F1SL with Dura-ace 7900 since September - quite happy with them now.

Initially they were tricky to set up - just swapping over the stock Jockey Wheels with HSC ones & no adjustment they were terrible in bigger cassette sprockets...chain would skip & jump on the jockey wheel teeth. However, with careful RD tuning, they are now good.

The HSC Carbon JW's seem to have a very small "window" for tuning - slightly off, & they won't run well. In the "window" & they run really smooth. Also, tuning the RD so the "Low" limit screw was set just inside the 10 sprocket (ie: closer to the 9 Sprocket) instead of perfectly inline seemed to make a big difference for some reason - although I have no logical reason as to why ??

They also seem to "run in" as well, after a couple of long rides, they are much quieter & smoother than on first install - again no logical reason as it is metal chain or carbon wheel - note, I am referring to the running of the chain on the Carbon Wheels - not the Ceramic Bearings which are smooth as silk :-)

If ultimate smoothness & quietness is important, then go the Derlin / Ceramic HSC ones - otherwise I can recommend the Carbon / Ceramics once tuned correctly.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

MJHsurfin wrote:Have the Carbon / Hybrid Ceramic HSC ones on my Felt F1SL with Dura-ace 7900 since September - quite happy with them now.

Initially they were tricky to set up - just swapping over the stock Jockey Wheels with HSC ones & no adjustment they were terrible in bigger cassette sprockets...chain would skip & jump on the jockey wheel teeth. However, with careful RD tuning, they are now good.

The HSC Carbon JW's seem to have a very small "window" for tuning - slightly off, & they won't run well. In the "window" & they run really smooth. Also, tuning the RD so the "Low" limit screw was set just inside the 10 sprocket (ie: closer to the 9 Sprocket) instead of perfectly inline seemed to make a big difference for some reason - although I have no logical reason as to why ??

They also seem to "run in" as well, after a couple of long rides, they are much quieter & smoother than on first install - again no logical reason as it is metal chain or carbon wheel - note, I am referring to the running of the chain on the Carbon Wheels - not the Ceramic Bearings which are smooth as silk :-)

If ultimate smoothness & quietness is important, then go the Derlin / Ceramic HSC ones - otherwise I can recommend the Carbon / Ceramics once tuned correctly.

Thanks for the feedback -- not too keen on a finicky derailleur setup so I may scout around for a more forgiving pulley setup. My understanding is that the original Campy pulleys use ceramic "bushings" on the upper jockey wheel, which allows a little bit of "play" to compensate for less-than-perfectly adjusted RDs.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Try the extralite jockeys i used them in the last 3 campag groupsets I've owned, fit and forget! You could get a bunch of ceramic bearings for them from boca but they work fine without them. Quite, easy to install ( bolt em in.. ) and much easier to clean than the campag ones

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

I've had good experiences with the Extralite wheels. They afford a significant percentage mass reduction and almost as much long-term durability as OEM wheels, but the bearings are standard sealed steel units, and their drag characteristics are no better or worse than OEM.

-Tim

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Thanks for the feedback on Extralite jockeys. My understanding is that top jockey wheels that have a bit of lateral play, i.e., OEM Campy, Fiber Lyte, etc., are more forgiving in terms of derailleur adjustment. Bottom jockey wheels do not need to have any play. Having said that, am wondering if I can mix and match -- use Fiber Lyte top and HSC for the bottom wheel. I have set of HSCs so if I get a set of Fiber Lytes, I'll have enough for 2 bikes.

Appreciate any thoughts you may have on this setup. Thx.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I love my carbon pulleys from Rothshek on eBay. Light and work great, with no adjustment to set them up at all

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com