HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:49 am
Posts: 236
Not much info available on these derailleur pulleys. Looking to replace the pair on my 3 year old SR RD. I know the vast majority would recommend going with the Campy OEM replacement but am looking to explore other options. Aluminum and titanium pulleys make too much noise and are therefore not being considered.

Appreciate any feedback from anyone who has tried these pulleys. These HSCs come in 3 models: delrin w/ hybrid ceramic bearings; carbon fiber w/ hybrid ceramic bearings; and carbon fiber with full ceramic bearings -- I'm considering the carbon w/ hybrid bearings. Thanks in advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:51 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:41 am 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:08 am
Posts: 6776
Location: Urbana, Illinois
According to Friction Facts the Tiso full ceramic titanium is the best. Saves a few watts.

_________________
-For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
-This board and the world in general would be a much nicer place if everyone could just take themselves a little less seriously.
-Sticky Fingers John Rockefeller
-First one over the cliff wins!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:49 am
Posts: 236
Juanmoretime wrote:
According to Friction Facts the Tiso full ceramic titanium is the best. Saves a few watts.


Yep -- read about that but my concern is the metallic sound they make, hence the preference for carbon pulleys. Thanks for the feedback though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:28 am
Posts: 208
I had these for my LBS to install on my Wilier with 9070 Di2. For some reason, they couldnt get it tuned just right with the HSCs. Ended up just going back to the original pulleys. Bummer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:49 am
Posts: 236
Horacio wrote:
I had these for my LBS to install on my Wilier with 9070 Di2. For some reason, they couldnt get it tuned just right with the HSCs. Ended up just going back to the original pulleys. Bummer.



Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably just return them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:42 pm
Posts: 5
Location: Sydney, Australia
Have the Carbon / Hybrid Ceramic HSC ones on my Felt F1SL with Dura-ace 7900 since September - quite happy with them now.

Initially they were tricky to set up - just swapping over the stock Jockey Wheels with HSC ones & no adjustment they were terrible in bigger cassette sprockets...chain would skip & jump on the jockey wheel teeth. However, with careful RD tuning, they are now good.

The HSC Carbon JW's seem to have a very small "window" for tuning - slightly off, & they won't run well. In the "window" & they run really smooth. Also, tuning the RD so the "Low" limit screw was set just inside the 10 sprocket (ie: closer to the 9 Sprocket) instead of perfectly inline seemed to make a big difference for some reason - although I have no logical reason as to why ??

They also seem to "run in" as well, after a couple of long rides, they are much quieter & smoother than on first install - again no logical reason as it is metal chain or carbon wheel - note, I am referring to the running of the chain on the Carbon Wheels - not the Ceramic Bearings which are smooth as silk :-)

If ultimate smoothness & quietness is important, then go the Derlin / Ceramic HSC ones - otherwise I can recommend the Carbon / Ceramics once tuned correctly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:49 am
Posts: 236
MJHsurfin wrote:
Have the Carbon / Hybrid Ceramic HSC ones on my Felt F1SL with Dura-ace 7900 since September - quite happy with them now.

Initially they were tricky to set up - just swapping over the stock Jockey Wheels with HSC ones & no adjustment they were terrible in bigger cassette sprockets...chain would skip & jump on the jockey wheel teeth. However, with careful RD tuning, they are now good.

The HSC Carbon JW's seem to have a very small "window" for tuning - slightly off, & they won't run well. In the "window" & they run really smooth. Also, tuning the RD so the "Low" limit screw was set just inside the 10 sprocket (ie: closer to the 9 Sprocket) instead of perfectly inline seemed to make a big difference for some reason - although I have no logical reason as to why ??

They also seem to "run in" as well, after a couple of long rides, they are much quieter & smoother than on first install - again no logical reason as it is metal chain or carbon wheel - note, I am referring to the running of the chain on the Carbon Wheels - not the Ceramic Bearings which are smooth as silk :-)

If ultimate smoothness & quietness is important, then go the Derlin / Ceramic HSC ones - otherwise I can recommend the Carbon / Ceramics once tuned correctly.


Thanks for the feedback -- not too keen on a finicky derailleur setup so I may scout around for a more forgiving pulley setup. My understanding is that the original Campy pulleys use ceramic "bushings" on the upper jockey wheel, which allows a little bit of "play" to compensate for less-than-perfectly adjusted RDs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 am
Posts: 1198
Try the extralite jockeys i used them in the last 3 campag groupsets I've owned, fit and forget! You could get a bunch of ceramic bearings for them from boca but they work fine without them. Quite, easy to install ( bolt em in.. ) and much easier to clean than the campag ones

_________________
project black


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:36 am
Posts: 170
I've had good experiences with the Extralite wheels. They afford a significant percentage mass reduction and almost as much long-term durability as OEM wheels, but the bearings are standard sealed steel units, and their drag characteristics are no better or worse than OEM.

-Tim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:49 am
Posts: 236
Thanks for the feedback on Extralite jockeys. My understanding is that top jockey wheels that have a bit of lateral play, i.e., OEM Campy, Fiber Lyte, etc., are more forgiving in terms of derailleur adjustment. Bottom jockey wheels do not need to have any play. Having said that, am wondering if I can mix and match -- use Fiber Lyte top and HSC for the bottom wheel. I have set of HSCs so if I get a set of Fiber Lytes, I'll have enough for 2 bikes.

Appreciate any thoughts you may have on this setup. Thx.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:09 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:20 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: New Zealand
I love my carbon pulleys from Rothshek on eBay. Light and work great, with no adjustment to set them up at all

_________________
2012 BMC SLR 6.02kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110390


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaric, beeatnik, kfreytag, la rosa and 64 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. 9000 rear mech jockey wheels

in Road

itsacarr

2

322

Thu May 15, 2014 3:24 pm

itsacarr View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Sram Red jockey wheels - removable bearings?

in Road

DuncanS

3

585

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:34 pm

DuncanS View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. fibre lyte gear mech plate and jockey wheels

in Road

TomWhite59

13

737

Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:03 pm

BmanX View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Best DIY carbon fiber kits?

in Road

crimsonbadger

6

815

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:11 am

jooo View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Does Bicycle Grease Degrade Bare Carbon Fiber Composite?

in Road

Valbrona

6

1155

Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:48 pm

11.4 View the latest post


It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB