Too light for Flanders?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Irish

by Irish

I think the size of tyre you use for Flanders depends on your size/weight and frame stiffness, I used 23mm on an alloy frame and was grand but I'm heavier now and would use 25mm tyres and a frame which allowed me expose more seatpost (such as a TCR) as the flex in this gives me just as much comfort as wider tyres does. With stiffer carbon frames I would consider lower profile rims and wider tyres for comfort , plus it means the tyres and not the frame is taking the shock.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

I don't think any mainstream current production frame is "too light for Flanders"....Its not about the frame its about your wheels and tire choice. EM3

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

The pave´s in Flandern (I´m assuming you mean de Ronde) is not so bad compared to Paris-Roubaix. I use old style 32 spoke 3 cross handbuilts on both sportives but I dont think using stiffer wheels is really a hindrance in de Ronde but in P-R it definitely is. That said i´ve seen plenty of people on high profile wheels in both sportives. I use 27 mm FMB Paris-Roubaix tubulars and I´ve also used the 24 mm Vittoria Pave clincher. FMB´s get my recommendation for pave´s
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie