09 Madone Sizing Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CamMancuso

by CamMancuso

I have an opportunity to buy an 09 Trek Madone 6.9 for a steal. I can't test ride the bike (which is part of the reason I'm asking for advice here). I'm just shy of 5'7" and the bike is an XS (50cm). I'm not sure if anyone has experience with the previous gen Madone, but I'm afraid of it being too small. I'm currently riding my 51cm Blue CXC cross bike that's doubling as a road bike when I'm not racing cross on the weekends.

clarkson

by clarkson

One consideration you should have is that the madones are built with a semi-integrated seat mast which has less adjustability than a conventional seatpost. Trek used to include in their geometry a maximum/minimum seat height that may provide some guidance.

Really you should be able to get all the information you need from a geometry chart of a bike you currently like, and the one you're looking after.

My opinion, but one I hope is shared, would be that any deal for a bike that fits poorly is not a deal at all. I'd take a lesser bike that fits well every time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

Without looking at you and some more info, I would put you on a 52 or 54. The 50 I feel would be way small for you. Hope this helps.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I am 5'5" and had a 2009 50cm madone /H2. It fit me great, however it was not set up aggressive with a slammed stem. I used it mostly for Double Centurys and Centurys. My top tube was just under 52cm per my measurements.

I hope this helps
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

CamMancuso

by CamMancuso

Thanks for the input. I'll pass on this one and see if a 52cm or another bike that catches my eye pops up. If a new generation Madone comes up I can head to a shop and see how I'd fit on one of them