OK, it's end of 2013 -what's the verdict on BB standards?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

elviento

by elviento

BB386 didn't catch on as fast as expected?
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wcl4

by Wcl4

386 is easy to install! Not taking advantage of the oversize bb on my cento sr with a campy crank, so it's not really providing any meaningful difference. Doesn't seem like anyone is making a bb386 specific crank aside from fsa, and I really don't like their stuff.

Who else uses this aside from wilier and bh? Seems like a marketing differentiator if you ask me.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Bianchi went with 386 on the new Oltre. Some of the rotor cranks (designed for BBRight) are the same spindle diameter and length as 386

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

None of the new "standards" work as well and are as trouble free as BSA standard threaded.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Rick

by Rick

For trouble-free simplicity, Hollowtech or GXP in an English threaded is still the king.

I have BB30. :cry:

corky

by corky

the new standards are for manufacturing advantages .... there are none for the consumer

just my opinion

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The idea that we're even referring to these as "standards" is laughable. No "standard" has yet emerged since the tried and true threaded bottom bracket shell. The advantages are to the manufacturers, not the users, as Corky stated.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Wcl4 wrote:Who else uses this aside from wilier and bh?

AX Lightness
FUJI (Altamira)
Lightspeed
Merida

The list is growing actually despite FSA being the most referred brand/mfg producing specific 386 cranksets. Adapters are readily in use.

Why?
The wider BB (Shimano Pressfit style) creates a stiffer frame.
The larger diameter spindle creates a stiffer crankset (BB30 style).
Ironically people all get their pants wet over BB30, while it isn't as effective in improving performance (via power efficiency) as the pressfit systems are (BB86/90 or whatever). viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63857

So it ends up being "the best" of "both worlds" if you want that.

Personally I agree with this:
Rick wrote:For trouble-free simplicity, Hollowtech or GXP in an English threaded is still the king.

Which is why a recent frame I spec'd out for a build has traditional BSA68 threading and, yes, a straight 1-1/8" steerer spec.

elviento wrote:BB386 didn't catch on as fast as expected?

How long has BB386 been available as a standard for other mfgs to utilize?

By comparison, how long has BB30 been available as a standard for other mfgs to utilize prior to it being used across the industry? How many years did that take to catch on?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Fuji Altamira is bb86. Not 386. Although I recall seeing a crazy pf system where the press fit cup is the bearing's outer race to allow 386 install in bb86.

liam7020

by liam7020

Calnago wrote:None of the new "standards" work as well and are as trouble free as BSA standard threaded.

Correct

Rick wrote:For trouble-free simplicity, Hollowtech or GXP in an English threaded is still the king.

Correct again

corky wrote:the new standards are for manufacturing advantages .... there are none for the consumer

And again.

Just like disc brakes on road bikes, and even cross bikes, the manufacturers are blatantly trying to brain-wash and shaft the consumer.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

1415chris

by 1415chris

For riding efficiency, for me, wider and bigger bb shells are better. I had 2 frames with bsa and now bbright and the difference how the bike performs is undoubtedly better. Maintenance, service will always be easier with threaded cups.
And don't forget about the weight.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

JN2Wheels wrote:Fuji Altamira is bb86. Not 386. Although I recall seeing a crazy pf system where the press fit cup is the bearing's outer race to allow 386 install in bb86.

Yes, correct! My mistake.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I've been helping my non-technical friend with a frame purchase, and it's a mess out there.

I looked into Bianchi for him and their current top 3 lines have 3 different BB's - BB86, BB30, and BSA.

I wonder if there has ever been a time with such a plethora of BB types?

A lot of it, other than manufacturing simplicity, also appears to be attempts at proprietary designs to stifle competition.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I look forward to the day everyone goes back to threaded BBs to "fix" all the issues with press-in BBs. Maybe I am dreaming, but that is my wish.

Colin

by Colin

That won't happen until threaded bottom brackets are almost completely extinct, then they can market it as being new and improved!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com