Principia Revolution SX 2009 frame size information

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hoojammyflip

by hoojammyflip

Hi, I have just purchased a Principia Revolution SX 2009 frameset from Ebay...its got a 105mm ish head tube. It was badly listed, so I thought I would just take the chance considering Principia frames are sweet and no one else was likely to bid. Looking in the Principia documents which you can google for and find linked to on Weight Weenies, this does not appear to correspond with anything! It sits in the middle of a 51 and 53cm frameset as far as I can see which have 9cm and 12cm headtubes. Does anyone have any idea what size frame I have actually bought?! Top tube seems similar in length to a CAAD4 50cm which I had, holding it alongside my CAAD8 52cm for reference, its a bit shorter, around 52cm, with shorter distances between axles by about 1cm. It might seem crazy buying this, but for the price I picked it up, its a no brainer. I can always whack a longer stem on. I prefer the shorter lower set up anyway. Thanks guys.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

All you need is a ruler (or straight edge) between the two axles and a set square to get the perpendicular from the bb. You can then measure the bb drop, stack and reach. Match that to your favourite bike with the appropriate stem, and envy envy you have a sweet ride.

I won't give two hoots what size it is.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hoojammyflip

by hoojammyflip

I think its a 51cm from 2006, looking at the brochures. One person's upgrade to carbon is my new top of the range aluminium hack. The BB shell is ovalised and machined. Its a thing of beauty. Maybe I get it painted. Does anyone know whether these forks are interchangeable with other 1 1/4->1 1/8 forks? In particular, I am slightly concerned that the bearings will be tricky to replace. For that matter, these UPS hangers...are they replaceable. I know Principia changed hands, I wonder whether the new owners honour the spare parts for the old frames?

Krull

by Krull

hi,
are we talking aubout a principia of the pre- or post-going bust-ära? the "old" ones have a classical Headset, the new ones an integrated.
could you post a Picture of your principia?
regards,

hoojammyflip

by hoojammyflip

Its identical to the one pictured in the 2006 brochure, which someone has linked to before on weightweenies, on this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=52173

Its page 14 of the 2006 brochure. But my fork is white. One of the differentiating features is the UPS dropout which is easy to see. The fork is the integrated one. I really hope the headset is not a proprietary one. It would mean the choice and ease of replacing the bearings, aside from cost, is completely reduced.

Krull

by Krull

ah, this is a nice one, sign of times, that nobody is bidding on this beautiful Frame. most people join the marketing-strategies of the big bike brands and seeks for a current frame advertised by the pros, be it ever so ugly. ;-)
seems to be the only model of the "old" principias with integrated Headset, so it has different headtube length than the other models with classical Headset.
but top-tube-length should be identical, i think, you can find the size by comparing it.
http://bikeframes.com/principia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Krull on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoojammyflip

by hoojammyflip

It doesn't look like those, this was the brochure I was referring to:
http://web.archive.org/web/200612110442 ... a06_uk.pdf

But I am confused about the length of the headtube. In the back of the Principia brochure, it says the 51 has a 96mm head tube, and the 53 has a 113mm headtube. This headtube is longer than the 51's and shorter than the 53's. Its difficult to compare exactly to my CAAD8's as the top tube is sloping, whereas a CAAD8 has a horizontal top tube (my CAAD8's are the US made version).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krull

by Krull

hoojammyflip wrote:
But I am confused about the length of the headtube. In the back of the Principia brochure, it says the 51 has a 96mm head tube, and the 53 has a 113mm headtube. This headtube is longer than the 51's and shorter than the 53's..

as is said, i am shure that is reasoned in the integrated headtube. all other models refer to those on my link, the limited is the only-different one.
but i am shure as well that all other Parameters of the limited ´s geometry are identical with those of the other models.