Campanolo 10sp Record bottom bracket question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I've had this campy 10sp Record group on one of my bikes for about 5 years now. The bottom bracket feels like it is grinding big time when I turn the pedals. I have isolated it by a process of elimination to the bearings. Last night I took it all apart and the bearings feel like grinding sand. I degreased and cleaned the heck out of it and re-lubed heavily with white lighting grease. Same for the cups. I put it all back together and it feels smoother, but nowhere near as smooth as my SR 11sp bottom bracket bearings on my other bike.

I would like to replace the bearings on the 10sp with SR ceramic bearings. So, do I simply removed the cups from Record and replace them with SR cups? Do I replace the 10sp Record bearings with the SR bearings and seals? Is this a straight swap? Do they fit interchangeably? Is there anything i need to know or do other than a straight swap? I guess I will also need to get a bearing pulling tool as I don't have one. Any in particular recommended?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Park make a good bearing puller, and driver as a kit for UT bearings.

Many experienced people will say that ceramic bearings here are a waste of time and money, and Campy steel bearings are excellent. But if you really want to swap, it is a straight swap for the bearings.

The only difference with the SR cups is that they eliminated the inner seal in order to slightly reduce seal drag. Depending on the frame these are going on, and the conditions you ride in, this could be a very bad idea.

The old cups will work fine, or you can replace - up to you.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted that quote as this is an reply.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Or you could just buy the ceramic bearings and replace them.
I would buy the bearings at VBX online or similar place for a fraction of the cost.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

dgasmd

by dgasmd

So in other words, I can freely swap the UT Record cups and bearings for the SR UT Cult cups and bearings without any modifications. A straight swap! In the end, I may end up keeping the regular non-Cult bearings/cups as there is tons of salt and fine sand around here that gets into everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk