new freehub - resistance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tinchy

by tinchy

ok so I installed a new freehub on my 2010 mavic ksyriums as the bushings were worn on the old one. I also installed new pawls/springs and used the mavic mineral oil that mavic specifies. The cassette isnt overly tightened - lockring was put on finger tight then tightened until most of the ratcheting noise stopped but could have been tightened more, but am weary that too much force is bad.

When I pedal the bike and let it freewheel, the rear wheel slows down a lot quicker that it did with the old freehub. My question is - will the new freehub take a while to bed in? If not, what has caused the apparent increased resistance - too much oil?

thanks

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

I wondered if you'd managed to remove the axle! (reference to your original thread)

There's a washer that sits between the hub and the freehub. Is that present? It could be stuck in the old freehub.
It'll bind if it isn't present.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinchy

by tinchy

haha yeah got it off - just needed brute force in the end ;)

Yeah ive got that washer on that comes with shimano cassettes.

Could there possibly be an issue because the cassette was removed from a shimano freehub (i.e. just needing the 1mm shimano washer) and put onto a mavic freehub, which requires an additional 1.75mm spacer.

Ive installed Mavic spacer -> shimano washer -> cassette. Is this correct?

tinchy

by tinchy

Sorry didnt read your post correctly. Yes the new mavic freehub had a top hat shaped piece of metal (cant think of a better description) followed by a washer installed.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing. The washer goes inside the freehub.
The axle stub you had problems removing goes through the freehub, through the washer then into the hub.

As far as I'm aware a washer isn't included with the new freehub.

tinchy

by tinchy

Yeah sorry I know what you mean - my new mavic hub came with a new washer and another bit that fits inside the freehub with the axle through it.

I mean the resistance isnt crazy, and obviously I wont feel it whilst pedalling - only coasting perhaps. Just intrigued as to why it seems more resistant.

Im thinking I may have used too much oil as the freehub is pretty quiet when freewheeling - whereas most mavic freehubs are notoriously noisy.

legs 11

by legs 11

Never put too much lube!
Cold weather can really increase the drag.
Pedalling Law Student.

tinchy

by tinchy

Solution? Should I clean it all up and re fit with less oil or just ride how it is?

tinchy

by tinchy

on my ride today, the freehub was completely silent when coasting. Im thinking too much oil is interfering with the pawls?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com