AX Orions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nano

by Nano

tommy wrote:Its kind of strange... 170gr. Ok its with DA pads and holders but even then, so little weightgain over zero gravity.
But they look great!

I will try the new B-T-P holders, so i haven't to glue the pads on the holders, like the corimas.

http://www.b-t-p.de/BTP-English/product ... _pads.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iubike

by iubike

I have never seen them from the side, they are really wide! I used to like these, now to see them mounted I don't care much for them, not to mention they aren't alllll that light. Let us know how they work!

K

pk0r

by pk0r

iubike wrote:not to mention they aren't alllll that light.

Lol, you must be kidding! :shock:
Take these brakes (97g), add a pair of 0G holders with Corima pads (38g) and you end up at 135g.
If you like you then even can add some conical washers for adjustment, which will add another 2g, totaling at 137g.

If you mount a Tiagra onto a CR1, would you call the CR1 heavy as well? :shock: :lol:
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

divve

by divve

What about the mounting bolt weight, does the 0G listing include them? Also, I don't consider Corima pads a serious option...it's like putting Tufo tires that weigh nothing on your bike :D

pk0r

by pk0r

divve wrote:What about the mounting bolt weight, does the 0G listing include them? Also, I don't consider Corima pads a serious option...it's like putting Tufo tires that weigh nothing on your bike :D

Yeah the mounting bolts are already included in the mentioned 38gms.
I agree with you that the Corimas are not really a good of an option, but it was just to point out a fair comparison with the mentioned 0Gs that come with just the same combination as stock item.
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

Sybarite

by Sybarite

Could someone tell me where to get conical washers for the ZG pad holders?

Just realized the conical part is machined into the ZG arms, but the AX arms are regular flat arms - need a set of conical washers to fit ZG pad holders on AX brakes.

mises

by mises

Sybarite wrote:Could someone tell me where to get conical washers for the ZG pad holders?

Just realized the conical part is machined into the ZG arms, but the AX arms are regular flat arms - need a set of conical washers to fit ZG pad holders on AX brakes.

A good radio control racing shop should have something that will work.

I got some from here:
http://www.racers-edge.com/store/custom ... hp?cat=311

I had to enlarge the center hole slightly but other than that they work well. I have also mounted the ZG holders without any washers on my Perseus brakes, but don't intend to do that with the Orions since they don't appear to have metal around the edge of the mounting slot to handle it.

Sybarite

by Sybarite

For the info of all,

1. Campy brake holders do not work. So far only Shimano pad holders with smaller diameter bolts work.

2. Works on Pinarello frames such as Paris carbon and Dogma. No clearance issues.

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

Thanks Sybarite. Thats useful to know. Surprising the campy blocks don't work considering they also didnt on his previous generation.

mises

by mises

I finally got my Orion brakes today. 96.2 grams with hardware. 132.1g with ZG holders and Corima pads. With LW pads they are 156.8g, so there's quite a weight penalty if you want to actually stop. :wink:

Road test tomorrow. :D I hope the weather and snow level cooperate.

pk0r

by pk0r

Grats & have fun mises! :D
Also in case you are interested: the new BTP adjustable brake shoes come in in an exact 25gms - taking 9-10gms for the Corima pads into consideration, you'll end at 35-36gms, which is 2gms lighter than my 0G pads (being 38gms). You seem to be having a pretty 'good' set of 0G shoes though already with their 35.9gms.
And you really better use some other pads than the Corimas in case you actually really want to stop.

Erez_Pinarello

by Erez_Pinarello

Sybarite wrote:Ready to go - testing out tommorrow. With all brake pad hardware - Dura Ace holders - 170g for the pair.

I saw in the german catalog that coolstop have light ti pad holders - maybe thats what ZG is using

for this weight its better to take the ZG brakes (cost/value I mean)

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Sybarite wrote:Could someone tell me where to get conical washers for the ZG pad holders?

How about taking some from mtb V-brake pads?

Knut

by Knut

Samu Ilonen wrote:How about taking some from mtb V-brake pads?

No, no Samu - that cannot be done, it's way too easy! :wink:

Nano

by Nano

pk0r wrote:Grats & have fun mises! :D
Also in case you are interested: the new BTP adjustable brake shoes come in in an exact 25gms - taking 9-10gms for the Corima pads into consideration, you'll end at 35-36gms, which is 2gms lighter than my 0G pads (being 38gms). You seem to be having a pretty 'good' set of 0G shoes though already with their 35.9gms.
And you really better use some other pads than the Corimas in case you actually really want to stop.

Do you have the information, that they will work on the Orions? I think so, but i'm not sure. For the Perseus you need a bolt diameter of 6,35mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com