SRAM Red 11sp cassette with Campagnolo 11sp?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neeb

by neeb

Supposedly the cog spacing on the Shimano and SRAM 11sp cassettes is effectively the same as Campagnolo's 11sp.

Has anyone tried running the new SRAM Red 11sp cassette with a Campagnolo drive train?
http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/cassettes/cassettes_road_11sp/CS_SRAM_RED_11.html?gclid=CNmDoe_M9boCFc1V3god8XQAeg
It weighs 151g, more than a 50g saving over Record, and also considerable lighter than Super Record but without the disadvantage of fast-wearing Ti cogs.

It needs a different freewheel obviously. I'm using a Powertap hub and could get one of these:
http://www.artscyclery.com/Powertap_G3_15mm_11sp_Freehub_Body_Kit_HG/descpage-PT15FHBKS1.html

An expensive upgrade to save 50g, but replacing light cassettes when they wear out is expensive anyway...

Stefano

by Stefano

Should work fine, no problem. As far as cost-effectiveness, probably not the greatest... But this is weightweenies! I say do it :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neeb

by neeb

Tempted.. Let's see when my current cassette wears out... ;-)

Once you subtract the cost of the freewheel, which is a once off, It's probably more cost-effective than the SR cassette as the sprockets should last longer.

legs 11

by legs 11

The width difference is tiny. It'll work perfectly.
Best of luck, and keep us all informed of your experiences and general opinion on this won't you? :)
Pedalling Law Student.

geca

by geca

Hi - I have done this lot.s of times with Shimano 11 speed and Campagnolo 11 speed. It works perfect - both ways.
Therefore I also think it will work fine with SRAM as SRAM and Shimano are compatible.