Garmin Vector Usage

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Lucky Me! (I hope)
My brothers bought me a set of Garmin Vector pedals for my Birthday, and I bought a Garmin Edge 500 with my voucher for placing second in a local TT league.
Anyway I installed the Vectors, paired them to the Edge 500, inputted the Vectors' identity number and calibrated the Vectors to the Edge.
So far so good.
I then started a session and for 2 minutes all went reasonably well, then the power readings became very sporadic; jumping from 190 Watts to 400 Watts, and then it would read 0 (and 0 rpm on cadence) before jumping back to a reasonable readout, only to do it again
What is happening - teething problems for a first session or are they a crock of shite?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Likely the pedal torque isn't enough. Did you use a torque wrench?

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Good post - My torque wrench would not fit the pedals so I tightened on the cautious side (just tight). I'll try torque-ing to the recommended torque and report back
Thanks
Any more suggestions?

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Wey Hey!!! 300 posts in 11 years as a WW!
Am I the longest server?

VNTech

by VNTech

Yep, torque is key with the Vectors. If it's quite low you can get what you saw. A bit too low or too high and things stable out, but often 20+ watts off.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

michaelten

by michaelten

I have had a problem with the cadence dropping out and therefore losing the power reading. I pulled the batteries out of the pods and then it asked to set the installation angles and calibrate again. Since then it has been fine.

Doolop

by Doolop

You don't need a torque wrench to install them. Just make sure they are very tight or the readings will be off.

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Thanks for all the replies - I'll tighten them up (to a reasonable torque)
One more question:
How do Iset the installation angles with the Edge 500 - the Garmin You-Tube video shows it for higher end computers and not for the Edge 500
Thanks

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The one install I did with the 500, it did not ask me for install angles either, even after a firmware update (3.30 is current, I believe). I don't know why yet.

theremery

by theremery

My G/Fs vectors give weird readings (generally LOW) if the pedals are loose (she did them up with a cone spanner recently .......left my pedal spanner at a mates place). Tightening them fixes it.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

djconnel

by djconnel

I haven't tried them yet, although obviously I've got a lot of interest. Limiting factor for me on $$$ right now would be the Look platform, since I like double-sided. But it would be fun to give them a try -- I am curious about L-R, as well as future pedal stroke diagnostics they might have coming.

rmerka

by rmerka

They're definitely NOT a crock of shite :) Grease the threads and the where the spindle contacts the pods. Torque them down at least to spec. Take the batteries out for 10 full seconds. Do a static calibration. Ride the bike (don't just spin the crank on a stand) and smoothly bring the cadence up to 80 rpm. When power starts to be displayed on the 500 you're angles are set. I haven't had a lick of trouble out of my pedals. You have nice brothers :thumbup:

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

I have spent all evening trying to get these pedals sorted
I even bought a new Torque wrench at £80.00
Garmin support were unhelpful as usual
I tightened the pedals I followed the unhelpful firmware update instructions and these pedals continue to go from a reasonable readout to 0
What will I do?
I am not happy

djconnel

by djconnel

Enda Marron wrote:I have spent all evening trying to get these pedals sorted
I even bought a new Torque wrench at £80.00
Garmin support were unhelpful as usual
I tightened the pedals I followed the unhelpful firmware update instructions and these pedals continue to go from a reasonable readout to 0
What will I do?
I am not happy

Send them to me. I'll give them an extensive test and get back to you in a year.

Garmin has a [url=https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?424-Vector
]Vector Forum[/url] where you can probably get better help than here.

The usual answers are "incorrect torque" and "insufficient spacers", assuming your crank is a compatible dimension.

michaelten

by michaelten

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... -drop-outs

Post number 2. Do that and you should be set.

I change mine from bike to bike all the time and have never tensioned them. Only once has the power/cadence dropped out and all I did was the instructions in that post and it was fixed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com