Scott Foil frames - real life weights?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

For the money right now, I don't think there is a better "aero" frame with proven stiffness in the HT/BB than the Scott Foil.

Finding a new/used Scott Foil frame for well under $2K, even the premium, is possible. No other frame at this caliper can be had at the prices they are selling for now.

With that said, I really would like the new Felt AR1 Frameset. About the same weight as the Foil 15. Dave has posted in that thread a photo of one with 404s coming in under 15lbs, impressive. And the claimed aero/stiffness/ride quality is supposed to be up there with the best. Really can't justify paying $4K for any frame, as much as I'd like the AR FRD model though..haha.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

echappist

by echappist

yeah, i think the Foil is by far the most cost competitive, not to mention that it's on the light side of things, too. My HMF (which started off as a Foil 40) sits at 7.1-7.2kg with Stinger 6 and aluminum 6700 pedals, and i could drop it to 7kg zipp 303 tubulars, and carbon 6700 pedals, and that's with a SRM PM. While i could get some carbon bars (70g) and a lighter saddle (80g) to get it close to 6.8kg, i'm fine with it at 7.0kg. Those with the HMX frameset could easily shave off another 150g compared to the HMF frameset.

neeb

by neeb

I agree that the Foil is good value and a superb all-rounder when it comes to weight/aero/stiffness qualities. Perhaps more importantly, it simply rides well - it is well-balanced in stiffness between the front and the rear and handles well. I also think (although I'm aware this is subjective) it's one of the best looking frames out there, along with the Bianchi Oltre and the Orbea Orca.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

So is 840g for hmx bullshit then?

neeb

by neeb

kulivontot wrote:So is 840g for hmx bullshit then?

Maybe a size 49 or 52 before painting and completely stripped... Or a lighter example thereof...

The frames come with the top integrated headset cup pre-installed. I guess no-one has actually bothered prising that out to see how much it weighs, but it's probably only 15g or something.

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

2012 Foil 30 (HMF)completely naked 1013gr in size 56. The fork was 375gr uncut.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

neeb wrote:The frames come with the top integrated headset cup pre-installed. I guess no-one has actually bothered prising that out to see how much it weighs, but it's probably only 15g or something.

Mine came without the headset cup , and it was 12g. Didn't weight the frame though ..... shame on me :oops:

neeb

by neeb

PinaRene wrote:Mine came without the headset cup , and it was 12g. Didn't weight the frame though ..... shame on me :oops:

Great to have that weight! So most of us can subtract another 12g from our frame weights.

It's nice to know that the HMX frames do at least seem to be consistently lighter than the HMF ones, even if it's only about 80g.. That was one reason for starting this thread, I was worried that they might overlap or almost overlap, and that Scott might simply be using the same carbon & layup for all of the Foils and selling ones that turned out lighter as HMX... I guess I'm just born suspicious!

Suffice to say that doesn't seem to be the case and that you are getting a genuinely lighter frame with the HMX versions, even if there is a bit of a 20g lottery going on one way or the other.