Longer SPD-SL Spindles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

darksideofthemoon

by darksideofthemoon

Does anyone know of anyone that makes longer Shimano SPD-SL spindles (for 6700 carbons in this case)? The 4 mm longer version sold by Shimano isn't enough (I need 1/2" longer). I've already tried Ward, but they said that they have no plans to make any.

Thanks

lannes

by lannes

A couple of sources, but probably not as short as you want it.

http://www.kneesaver.net/ecommerce/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/sh ... -extenders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

Depending on your crankset I'm sure there are cranks with a wider q-factor, maybe together with the longer Shimano spindles and perhaps even a shim between spindle and crank arm. There are dedicated shims for this from FSA and others, but really any hardware store bought shim will be the same. I use one from FSA, it's about 1,5mm so you can gain a total of some 3mm q-factor there. Along with 8mm from the spindles, and sourcing a crankset that is 6-7mm wider shouldn't be too difficult. You could easily modify the cleat slots and metal slot plates to gain some 4mm of extra adjustment too...

Should give you 22mm in total, close to 1/2" on each side. Otherwise Middleburn cranks have interchangeable axles and can probably be had with a fairly wide axle, or someone could machine a wider axle, same for Hollowgrams ofcourse.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I don't know how you'll get 1/2 inch or 12.7mm on each side with spd-sl pedals without it looking really hodge-podge. Devices like knee savers are not the sexiest looking things, and you can't get enough washers on the spindle to get the width and still have enough threads to safely anchor the pedal to the crank.

Consider pedals that have longer pedal axles. Both Speedplay and Keywin make longer spindles for their pedals that will get you the extra you need. Keywin makes a +10mm spindle in steel for their Carbon pedals and SP makes the 1/2 longer axle for the Zero pedals.

boots2000

by boots2000

Like BDA said, Keywin +10 are the longest available.
It bet Ward would make you some longer spindles to fit Look pedals, but I don't know if I would suggest riding ti spindles of that length.
The current long Look spindles that ward makes are +1/4- or a bit more than 6mm. A buddy of mine was considering getting together some people for a batch of +10mm.
I could hook you up with him?

darksideofthemoon

by darksideofthemoon

Iannes:

Thanks for those. The kneesaver ones don't allow use of pedals that use an allen wrench, but it appears that the specialized ones do, which I didn't know.

BdaGhisallo:

I used to use speedplay, but I just don't like the feel of them for some reason. If the knee savers don't work, I might give the longest spindle keywins a try, however prior experience with keywins has shown that they didn't have enough radial adjustment.

boots2000:

I guess if neither of those work I could try contacting your buddy. I've also heard that looks have a wider stance width than normal to begin with. Do you know if this is true?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Darkside,

When you say 'radial adjustment' do you mean cleat float or actual adjustment of the cleat on the shoe to suit your particular like for toe-in or toe-out setup?

I don't know how long it's been since you tried Keywin, but they have modified the cleat somewhat to allow for greater radial adjustment, if that's what you're after. They have widened the front slot and there is an easy way to improve upon that also.

Geoff