DA Front Mech; fast cage wear

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

The chain rub on the FD is documented in other threads on here for Dura Ace 9000.

So it's not a stand-alone issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Krzysiekmz- this is nothing to do with Di2.

Tinea - thanks for the feedback. It is ridiculous, isnt it. Not sure what you mean by it not being a standalone issue, but lets focus on the matter in hand.

Anybody else noticed this accelerated wear on their 9000fd ?

Looking at Strava, I have done about 10,000km on this fd, only twice in rain.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

'not standalone' means precisely that, you're not the only person who has encountered this problem.

GT56

by GT56

OwenJames wrote:More DA9000 woes..

On my DA9000 front mech, the cage has worn extremely quickly.

The location of the wear is on the outer side, on the inside, where the chain passes through. The chain has worn a square groove into the metal.

Have a look at these pictures;

The wear has caused the coating on the outside to flake a bit now, too.

I have had this since April 2013.

Now, again, before anyone comments, NO, I have not been riding this with the chain rubbing, and NO, I have not been cross-chaining small-small, causing more rubbing. This has happened with normal shifting.

Seriously, this new Dura Ace 9000 stuff is just problem after problem.

you are not confusing this with the step in the lower part of the outer plate ?

sungod

by sungod

just a thought...

with a mechanical setup i'd always ease off when shifting

isn't one of the claimed benefits of electrical shifting that you can shift under power? which surely means the potential force of the cage on the chain will be higher with correspondingly more grinding action

you mention that you shift a lot, do you ease off, or keep the power on because the shifting allows it?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

With all these offers of assistance and suggestions and you insisting it is not you or your adjustments. How about buying a steel cage derailleur and call it a day. Seems like this is just really going around and around like a merry-go-round.

You have to buy one anyway, it appears that it is not a huge issue with anyone else, and you insist all the suggestions are hog wash. Shimano is crap, Campy is better. Ok I said it. Next thread.

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Butcher- what offers of assistance? And how have I passed anything off as hogwash, apart from your ridiculous comment. I started this thread to highlight an issue I am having with a bike component I own and to ask if anybody else is having the issue. Is that not what this forum is for?

Honestly, when you post things like this which are unrelated to the topic in hand, how do you expect it to help anything?

Actually, dont answer that.

Seriously, I had hoped that sharing stuff like this would be entirely a positive thing, but I dont think I will bother again. Back to lurking and not contributing.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I wouldn't call posting in search of support for my preconceived notions as "contributing"......posting that "my bike is perfectly this-and-that, and this mech is garbage" sounds like your mind has been made and no additional discussion is necessary; however, posting with an open mind to all the possibilities and trying to find reasonable explanations with the assistance of the multitude of knowledgeable members of the forums is what I would call contributing. I could be wrong, I guess :noidea:

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Bloody hell. Right, I give up. Consider me hounded out of town. Will leave you all to it.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

That's a shame.....I don't think anyone wants that result. Looks like you have a great ride there and I think we would all appreciate you sticking around. Just a bit of adjustment in approach by accepting the attempts at responding to your topic and all would be well. Hope you change your mind! :beerchug:

legs 11

by legs 11

Wow, OwenJames has one hell of an attitude? Why all the rage? As soon as the first post popped up it was full of anger. Maybe best post somewhere else like 'angrybikers.com'
Chill out mate, you'll give yourself an ulcer. ;)
Pedalling Law Student.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

This has happened before with others. Hidden behind the attitude, there just might be a real issue here, but the discussion gets side tracked by defensiveness. I wonder whether there are subtleties of setup for the 9000 that may cause this to happen. Its a shame because we will now wait longer to know and we have missed the opportunity to learn. As usual, if it was happening to every single 9000 out there, we would have heard. But what is also typical is that good old "internet statistics" hold and the one problem outweighs the thousands of no problems.

Ps. I've now got 4000km including lots of climbing on my DA 9000 cassette and it still hasn't exploded.

deek

by deek

I don't think that cage is actually worn. There's a bubble there even when new.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Just joking about the Shimano and Campy comment. Sorry to have ruined your day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

OwenJames wrote:Butcher- what offers of assistance?
How about buying a steel cage derailleur and call it a day.
. And how have I passed anything off as hogwash
For the love of god I have set it up perfectly. Every bloody time I post something like this I get the usual replies telling me I havent set it up properly. Enough!
, apart from your ridiculous comment. I started this thread to highlight an issue I am having with a bike component I own and to ask if anybody else is having the issue. Is that not what this forum is for?

Sorry, maybe I read it wrong. I just appeared that all the recommendations were brushed off as 'everything is perfect including me'. Sorry, if we do not really know you or your talents. Maybe your right on both [although your recent comments have formed a good opinion for me]. We're just attempting on 'contributing' to an question, not saying you do not know what you are doing.