HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:43 pm 

Hi-

I did a search on multiple forums and found no other posts regarding this problem. JRA and the shifter lever (not the thumb trigger, the one behind the brake lever) just started dangling after one very normal downshift. I did not and have not crashed, this is my "sunny day" bike, no audible pop was heard, although I did have wind noise in my ears. With my hand off the right lever, a distinct rattling noise is now heard from inside the shifter body. The lever is now very loose and has to be manually pushed up towards the brake lever. I can still downshift with it and the indexing is still there both by feel and sound. The upshifts with the thumb trigger though, became difficult with only one click possible. Many times I'd have to wiggle the shift lever forward and outboard a bit to get the upshift to execute. I have about 4800 miles on the group. After the ride (3.5 hours of shifting this way with no change in how it acted) I looked closely at the lever: at the top, where there is a little square shaped hole in the lever, there was a little "L" shaped bit of wire/spring stuck in a small blob of grease that looked like one end had broken/been sheared off.

I'm going to pull it off the bike tonight and take it in to the shop for warranty, but just thought I'd ask to see if anyone else has experienced 11s shifter breakage. :(

This forced me to use my DA 7800 rain bike yesterday - a perfectly beautiful, sunny day! :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:31 pm 

Definitely sounds like something came loose on the inside as you self-diagnosed.

I'd remove the lever and see if you can figure out the exact issue since you can try to get a part rather than go through warranty hassle. If you don't want to fix it, you'll have to take it to a local shop and you can have them call Dan Large at Campagnolo North America.

If he can easily diagnose it, that saves you having to have the levers shipped to Chicago or Minneapolis to have a Campagnolo authorized facility make the call on warranty.

If you still have a problem getting it fixed at that point, your option is to contact Campagnolo North America directly in Escondido. Their number is available from their website.

In Progress: Salsa Podio, Alpha Q GS10 Fork, Campagnolo Chorus 11

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:31 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:58 pm 

Yours is the first report I've read of a broken 11S shifter. I read five forums just about every day.

I've got three bikes with the new shifters and no problems so far. I've had several of them apart to convert one from 10 speed to 11 and repair wreck damage (broken ergo body). I've also had them apart just to see what's inside.

There is really not much to break inside. As long as the retaining bolts at both ends of the main pivot shaft are in place and not loose, there are no coil-type springs to break that affect shifting. The finger lever and thumb button both have return springs, but those only return the levers to their start positions.

There are two diaphragm springs that could break, but they should be very durable. If one of those breaks, then shifting should just about come to a halt. There would be nothing pushing the index disc against the ball retaining plate and then their would be no indexing.

The good news for those of us who bought from the UK and may have no practical warranty, is all the guts in the back half can be bought for about $40.

viewtopic.php?t=50014&highlight=ultrashift+ergopower

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:36 pm 

Had the same problem I bought a whole new lever and will keep the broken one for spare parts. The problem here in the U.S is not a lot of spare parts. And with the 11sp they sell a whole body with the guts in side. This happened in the beginning of December. Let me know the fix have been to lazy to take a part and look.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:50 pm 

So I am not alone. Good to know.

I had bought my whole kit, including shifters in december of 2008. New, but from an ebay seller.

Used it for a year, never crashed. November 2009, I had the same issue, easy ride, and it just stopped working(dangling).

Took it to one shop, they said they can charge me $150 to rebuild. Then i took it to incycle. They said they can rebuild it. Might be $100-ish. They took it apart, and two days later, they figured its probably better to send to Campy in escondido. I took them the only receipt I had, and they sent it down to campy. This is where the fun begins. About SIX weeks later, the shop calls me back. Campy didnt like my receipt, so the 4 year warranty went down the drain. Anyhow, at this point, i said, "look, I just want my bike, and I want it working, charge me whatever it takes, just fix it". So they did. A week later, it came in. Now at 7 weeks. Shop went to install it, but campy build the shifter BACKWARDS. Upshifter downshifted and downshifter upshifted. WTF. Sent back to campy. Week and a half later they we got the 2nd rebuilt shifter. Now 2+ months later, i finally got it back. You might think that campy would know how to build their own stuff, but apparently not.

Long story short:

4 year Warranty denied
Rebuilt twice
2+ months turnaround by campy
$70 for new tape and shipping.

Im guessing Campy atleast waived the fees, since they messed up. But in the end I ended up paying $70 to my shop for new bar tape, labor and shipping.

Headache. Super record looks nice and all, but if it happens again, im ready to throw this stuff away.

-Johnny G

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:25 am 

Seems ridiculous when you can buy all the internals for $40 and install them in about 15 minutes. This repair is incredibly easy. Watch the you-tube video. Piece of cake compared to the old style levers.

Some warranty services are just not worth bothering with.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:32 am 

Who has the parts in stock I work at a bike shop and when I call they never have them. At 40 bucks were so I can use them

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:35 am 

otoman wrote:
This forced me to use my DA 7800 rain bike yesterday - a perfectly beautiful, sunny day! :evil:

How terrible, your rain bike is better equipped than most bikes on the road! You have my sympathies, son. Wish I had a rain bike...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:23 pm 

Here in the US my main source for 10 speed shifter parts had been http://www.bikeman.com

I recently was checking them out for other things and got looking to see if they had much yet of 11 speed spare shifter parts - yes they do! There is a kit of parts listed (EC-SR110) that what was referred to in your situation. But also for others I wanted to also point out that they have a number of other parts that could be of help in a variety of other situations.

http://www.bikeman.com/store/merchant.m ... c&show=500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:37 pm 

I know this is an old thread, but is a new assembly the only fix to this problem? My rear shifter has the same part failed, although mine remains fully functional. I want to fix it before I put the whole groupset for sale.

Jamis Xenith SL (crashed)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:24 pm 

simply buy whole lever body. Record & Chorus are same , it cost 70€-ish… . Replace rubber and brake lever ( less than 5 min for both, YT is your friend how-to ) and you have new one, again :)

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:24 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:58 pm 

Looks like that's the only option, thanks.

Jamis Xenith SL (crashed)