Dura Ace 9000 changes to 9001

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

FredBloggs wrote:Cable finally failed yesterday, I would say I had done approx 5-6k miles on it. Kept the cable as I'm going to take a picture and send it off to Madison, the UK distributor tomorrow. Not impressed...

That's about what I get on my 7800, and my 9000 has been "in the ball park", maybe a little less.

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

I wouldn't complain about getting 5000-6000 miles out of a gear cable and certainly not in the kind of conditions we've had in the UK of late.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FredBloggs

by FredBloggs

Really? Well seeing as this is my Summer bike which is only ever ridden in the dry, then yes I have an issue with it.

The reason for the cable snapping is due to an inherent design flaw. I have never snapped a cable on either a road or MTB in over 20 years of riding.

Perhaps if you read the whole of this thread you might understand why people are posting here....

Svetty

by Svetty

Slightly off topic but today I rode my summer bike - Super Six Evo - for the first time since rebuilding with DA 9000 last autumn and I have to say I was blown away with how good the 9000 is. Shifts are positive yet precise, front shift is unbelievably easy, brakes are powerful with excellent modulation. All in all Shimano have really stepped up. It remains to be seen how long the cables last..........

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

FredBloggs wrote:Really? Well seeing as this is my Summer bike which is only ever ridden in the dry, then yes I have an issue with it.

The reason for the cable snapping is due to an inherent design flaw. I have never snapped a cable on either a road or MTB in over 20 years of riding.

Perhaps if you read the whole of this thread you might understand why people are posting here....

It's not uncommon for a cable head to shear off inside a shifter. I've done in two or three times in the last five years on SRAM and Shimano. We see it every couple of months while doing tune ups. I'm not trying to defend the 9000 issue but it can happen with any group. I've been on Dura Ace 9000 for almost 10K miles and haven't had one cable fail/shear in the shifter.

Grill

by Grill

evenfasterson wrote:I wouldn't complain about getting 5000-6000 miles out of a gear cable and certainly not in the kind of conditions we've had in the UK of late.

This. I barely get 3k out of gear cables out here...

myungjinkim

by myungjinkim

Is there a significant difference between 9000 and 9001?

Winston

by Winston

Hate to throw a cat amongst the pigeons...but I own 6800 and have periodically snapped a cable in the same area as described every ~3months since ownership (1 year)...spoke with Shimano and they will replace them but this was the first they had heard of 6800 doing it.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have both Sti 9000 and 9001. No issues with the first. I don't recall any change that i can view between the two talking cable routing or what can actually be seen of parts.
Sti 9001 can be adjusted for shorter reach. Neither have a i had any problems with my DA 9000 cassettes first gen design. Excerpt may be a bit of creaks, but performance is flawless for me.
I asked Shimano if Sti 9001 has been deemed a change for the sake of flaw of Sti 9000. But the answer was no. I run Jagwire Elite shift and brake which i find works perfect. Also like the new kits with new lubed liners and cables.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

srshaw

by srshaw

I have DA9001, and because I am probably going to update my frame soon, decided to use Jagwire cables and save the Shimano ones. Although I find the shifting much better than my cyclocross bike with the previous generation 105, I'm not sure its much better than 90's vintage ultegra 600 (first generation sti). I know if I use the proper cables it will be much better, but I think there has been quite a loss of performance by having concealed shifter cables, and perhaps shimano had to it right to start with. When riding my old bike with ultegra 600 it just shifts brilliantly and really light.

spatz

by spatz

No issues w the 9000 after a year going on two of use w the cables. However have seen the frayed and snapped cables on 9000 coming through the shop. Noticed one has to be careful installing the cables so as to not damage the coating on the cable set. Have seen newly installed 9000 cables where the micro rings on the shift cables were damaged by hasty or careless cable installation, w problems arising in short order w increased cable friction at housing junctions and failure. Cables commonly fail on DA 7800 and there wasn't a warranty issue. Install the cables without damaging them, keep them clean and they should give a decent service life... for a consumable service part. Nice of Shimano to slightly alter things to improve the service life of a cable.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

FredBloggs wrote:Really? Well seeing as this is my Summer bike which is only ever ridden in the dry, then yes I have an issue with it.

some of us have. No need to appear to be rude. I get around 8000 miles out of mine before I replace.