Dura Ace 9000 changes to 9001

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rijndael

by rijndael

Mr.Gib wrote:I was looking to go back to Shimano but I think now I'll do just as well to stay with SRAM (never had a cable fail).
You're not immune to issues by going with SRAM. In less than a year my right shifter broke and now the WiFli RD has been recalled.

campagnolo321

by campagnolo321

Hi GT8 and other members

Prior to having just received a brand new 2014 bike from a major manufacturer I checked with them that the shifters were going to be the ST9001 and they asured me that they were, in fact on receipt of said bike they came with ST-9000.

After sending them an email asking why they had not sent the updated version I was told that they were unaware of any changes.

I still await their timely response..........

, therefore I ask any members to please keep myself and other recipients of the shifters updated with any problems/issues so I have a least a little amunition to be armed with if I have to take matters further.

Dont realy want to shell out the best part of €400 just to remedy a well know problem.

Cheers and appologies for this post being my first.

Cheers

Richie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT8

by GT8

I kind of got the impression when I contacted the distributors and some retailers they were being quite cagey about answering my enquiries...

They wouldn't give me a straight answer to when they were getting stock or where it was, that there was nothing wrong with the "old" stock - so why the new 9001 then?

Quite annoying that we are buying the top of the line kit for top dollar and we are being given the run around :(

Campag321 - if you have communications that state you would be supplied with the 9001 then I'd let them know that you are rejecting the bike, as long as you haven't ridden it yet?

campagnolo321

by campagnolo321

GT8

Yes, I had quoted to them their own email stating I would get the 9001 and asked if they could come back to me with a solution as I did'nt want to have to send the bike back, I wait with baited breath !

May not get an answer now until after Crimbo, will let yee all know the outcome.

Richie

Grill

by Grill

Anyone else see the irony with Richie's username?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

boots2000

by boots2000

I just talked to Shimano, they are in full denial of the 9000 shifter problem.

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

if Shimano are in full denial, did they at least explain why they have an update?

boots2000

by boots2000

Cosmetics.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

boots2000 wrote:I just talked to Shimano, they are in full denial of the 9000 shifter problem.
Who is "Shimano"? Specifically, whom did you talk to at Shimano, and accordingly, how authoritative is what they said as reflecting the official position of Shimano in the matter?

PSM

by PSM

The 7900 of mine works perfectly fine. :)

boots2000

by boots2000

Specifically "Shimano" is Shimano USA customer service warranty department. I do have a dealer account.
I did not get the guys name- but it was whoever answers the tech warranty calls- I would guess that they have multiple people doing this.
A warranty tech like this is authoritative in his position but he is taking the party line 100%. He is not designing products, just answering the phone.
He offered to send me a couple replacement derailleur cables and suggested that I use Shimano grease on the part that is fraying.
I was already using slick honey.

HammerTime2 wrote:
boots2000 wrote:I just talked to Shimano, they are in full denial of the 9000 shifter problem.
Who is "Shimano"? Specifically, whom did you talk to at Shimano, and accordingly, how authoritative is what they said as reflecting the official position of Shimano in the matter?

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Ask to speak directly with Wayne Stetina. Although he may have to officially toe the party line, as the big kahuna in these parts, he may have more discretion to speak candidly in private conversations, and he likely knows "the real deal".

boots2000

by boots2000

Pretty sure that he won't admit there is an issue. At least not on the record.
They would have a flood of shifters returned for warranty.

HammerTime2 wrote:Ask to speak directly with Wayne Stetina. Although he may have to officially toe the party line, as the big kahuna in these parts, he may have more discretion to speak candidly in private conversations, and he likely knows "the real deal".

GT8

by GT8

After fitting the 9001s and having studied the manuals over and over the cable still seems to follow the same route as the 9000. Doesn't feel like the path of least resistance taking the cable through 90 degrees but I have yet to ride the bike to see how it feels.

The most significant differences seem to be the lever shape and the way in which the lever attaches to the body - there is significantly less of the insides exposed on the revised shifter units.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com