Dura Ace 9000 changes to 9001

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rmerka

by rmerka

Angle of the cable guide doesn't sound like it's just cosmetic to me. People tend to retain respect for companies that own up to their mistakes and move on. That's not true when a company gives people the "these aren't the droids your looking for" treatment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

VNTech wrote:The changes to 9001 have nothing to do with the cable issues. They were cosmetic, adding a cover on the inside of the shifter, between the hood and the brake lever.

Shimano does not believe it has a problem except in select, long-mileage cases. That's the quote. We had one break here at VN and they sent someone over to add a notched housing ferule to the right hand shifter housing, and greased the hell out of the cable. They also made a running change to the cables, adding more of whatever slickening agent they had been using before.

But that's it. They said the only reported cases had come from high mileage users who had not changed the cables.

More later.

Intrigued by notched ferule. Is this a change that could be copied by modding a
standard ferule? If so ? pics/diagram of notched one?
Last edited by Svetty on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VNTech

by VNTech

The bike we had the failure on had about 8k miles I believe. The idea was to test to failure (though we did swap chains in the middle).

I'll take a picture of the ferrule and post up, probably Monday.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

jpac

by jpac

I'd like to see a picture of this as well. thanks!

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

9000 and 6800 both come with "notched" ferrules for the shifters. I'm guessing the bike was a complete that was built without them?
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

VNTech wrote:The bike we had the failure on had about 8k miles I believe.

I had about the same on mine before the same issue.

Compared to other brands (and the fact I've not had this happen with them), "high mileage" is an interesting reason to give...

Why can't brands simply admit when they've not gotten something right? It's not a murder trial - and we'd have a lot more respect for it.

F45

by F45

That's not how they think. They are trying to save "face". They take this very seriously.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

When I'm stuck in the 11 ten minutes in to a race and already off the front, I (funnily enough) tend to take it seriously too...

keith

by keith

I had DA 9000 fitted to my Parlee Z5SL when it came out. Replacing the trusty DA7800. Works brilliantly btw. Spoke to my LBS about the DA 9001 update and they said the cable issue only affected certain batches of 9000 and Shimano would replace mine if they were in the batch. Haven't had time to take it in for them to check yet, riding my CX bike most of the time in this weather!
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have 8000 miles on my campag cables they are still like new so no need to change they have not failed either. I would not consider 8000 miles high mileage for cables normal if you are a campag user.

petal666

by petal666

Campagnolo cables have a tendency to break inside the levers pretty regularly, not 8000 miles but not a whole lot more. Depends on how often you shift I guess.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Got nearly 15,000km on my Campag cables. 2009/10 model 11sp SR shifter.

Not saying breaking doesn't happen. But I've tens of thousands of km's on Campag and now 9000 and the speed at which it occurs is a whole quicker in 9000. Which, it must be said, is about the only downfall of the groupset (brakes with poor modulation and a non-dedicated brake lever being the others).

petal666

by petal666

I've never used my 11 speed campag shifters long enough to break cables, but never got anywhere near 15,000 on my 10 speed levers without right hand cable breakage, or at least strand breakage.

FredBloggs

by FredBloggs

Cable finally failed yesterday, I would say I had done approx 5-6k miles on it. Kept the cable as I'm going to take a picture and send it off to Madison, the UK distributor tomorrow. Not impressed...

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

No need to quote above

Please keep us updated.
I bought my shifters from Merlin Cycles, but I am living in Turkey.

Since I bought them from UK, I guess that I need to get them serviced in UK too.
After I get a few positive information about getting new shifters, I will demand a change too from them.

I will be in UK for 3 months in the summer time, so I can wait some and get things much more faster there...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com