Parlee ESX Aero

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Some more pics off the Parlee website. This bike looks more and more interesting. From a practicality point of view, cables entering behind the head tube have been known to cause cable friction. The looks of the bike are polarising, but with the right paint could be pretty awesome.

Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Pics from Acme Bicycle Company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Those direct mount ee brakes look pretty slick!

DMF

by DMF

I usually don't care for "car coloured" paint jobs on bicycles, but the dark silver metallic really brings this bike to life. I guess nothing will save its looks in larger frame sizes, but that one is just stunning. Loosing the headset cover and slam a matching dark silver painted integrated bar/stem combo and a complete 9070-group on that... Mmm...

Quinn039

by Quinn039

But how can they make it UGLIER? Thats what I want to know. it's the hunchback of bicycles... either that or there's a camelbak hidden in there.

mrfish

by mrfish

I think it looks horrible in black, but quite OK in silver. I would have expected to see a BMC logo on it, but it's good that Parlee has dollars to invest in something new.

I don't understand the fluted tail concept. I would need to be convinced that it works better than a no-tail concept. Why?
- Because when you look at the CFD streamlines on a Kamm tail aerofoil that area is shielded anyway, so the tail probably has little influence on the flow
- Because all the low speed aero research on bike rims shows that bulging things outwards not inwards is the way to go. Edge 38 rims for example did not catch on.

lobular

by lobular

Yep...I just vomitted in my mouth. Aside from the frame, whilst riding you get the pleasure of looking down upon a mash of cables running over your stem!!

deltree

by deltree

Cervelo S5 riders don't seem to mind too much.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

justkeepedaling wrote:So articles are stating a savings of something like 12 watts over the Parlee Z5 for preliminary studies. That's not really that much. A standard Cervelo R3 2014 edition saves almost that much over a Z5. A S5 saves somewhere around 32 watts...

You're not meaning to, but you're taking the 12 watts out of context. The Bike Rumor thing wasn't really an "article" and there haven't been any reviews yet, so "articles" are not stating 12 watts.

A long while back Parlee looked at a basic design versus a round tube and found enough genuine advantage through a range of Yaw. Bike Rumer called that baseline test 12 watts but I can tell you it wasnt a steady 12 through all of the initial testing... That initial testing was enough for them to ...start... work on the design, not the finished project end result. No Aero bike saves the same number of watts versus a round tube bike through a range of Yaw.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

CharlesM - a voice of reason amongst all the speculation and conclusions reached without any evidence, tests or data.
Bob Parlee has never built bikes to impress others, and I doubt he would bother building an aero bike that wasn't a major improvement over the Z5.
I can't wait to see some comparitive tests and see the figures.
Pretty it might not be, but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder. With the right colour scheme I think it could look pretty cool.

gitsome

by gitsome

Its hideous, sorry Parlee you make great bikes but....
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

CBJ

by CBJ

Painting a carbon bike silver metallic is going full circle.

Not my favorite bike to look at but always love to see companies pushing for new design solutions. I am looking forward to seeing 2nd generation Venge, Foil etc. Once you get into 2nd generation things normally start to really work.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

It's still a 1000% nicer than a Dogma.... Sorry, couldn't resist.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Probably much lighter too!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'd take a Dogma over this thing anytime. And be very happy about it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ