Parlee ESX Aero

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Sorry Bob but this frameset is very ugly.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

pigpen

by pigpen

madcow wrote:There is a fair amount of discussion around about if it's really aero and again about the inclusion of the bottle. I was quite surprised to see how much actual time was spent in the wind tunnel not only refining their design but testing competitors as well. I've got the aero data and am fairly impressed with the amount of open-ness it contains rather than just generalizations and brand-x comparisons. Not only was the ESX tested both with and without bottles but so were all the other bikes. We'll publish this info shortly so everyone can reach their own decisions.

It has been three months since you posted this... When are they finally going to release the data?

TimW

by TimW

They had a built one of these in Matte black at the London Bike Show. I actually thought it looked alright, much better in reality than pictures - somehow. Not hugely convinced about the whole Aero bike frame thing but that's a different discussion.

vamoots58

by vamoots58

Am about to buy a new frame (50th B'day present). Took a (freezing) test spin on a Z5i today. One size too small (Med, need an ML). Bike really impressed my on that short spin. Street clothes, sneakers, flat pedals and borderline frost-bitten fingers notwithstanding. Again, crazy short ride, but really impressed. Spent some time with the ESX frame in my hand afterwards. The appearance will definitely be polarizing, but I really don't feel it's a bad looking frame, though CLEARLY different. Shop is getting in an ML and I'll be giving it a real test ride. As impressed as i was/am with the Z5, the tire clearance is not what one would define as ample. If you're running 25's, make sure your wheels are wobble-free!! According to shop, the intent of the ESX was to replicate the ride of the Z5 in an aero package. Tire clearance is a lot better in the ESX. The two biggest question marks for me at the moment are the cable routing (down through the head tube) and the direct mount brakes. I the ride really does replicate the Z5, this is going to be a very real option for me.

raptor03

by raptor03

very very curious about this.. is there any owner who'd like to share his thoughts about the frame? RIde/stiffness/aero feeling etc?

Personally I think in person it looks pretty slick, all black with some subtle red wiring to bring out some character.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I have one and can say I love it. I won't say it feels more aero, I think that while it is more aero that is probably not something that is felt. What I like most about it is that it is aero, but doesn't ride like an aero bike. The ride is incredibly similar to my Z5 which is one of my favorite riding bikes of all time. Plenty stiff but not overly harsh.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I saw one of these at the weekend and they look extremely cool in the flesh. No idea if it's aero etc but it certainly turns heads which, let's be honest, is part of the appeal
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

JimV

by JimV

It rides the small stuff better than my Z5 but the big bumps the Z5 absorbed better. The front is stiffer. I think it is faster, but that is way to hard to quantify. Specialized posted a video from a wind tunnel test between the Venge and a round tube bike and got something like a 50sec advantage for the Venge. I don't think you pay any negative price for what ever aero benefit the ESX has.

kode54

by kode54

madcow wrote:I have one and can say I love it. I won't say it feels more aero, I think that while it is more aero that is probably not something that is felt. What I like most about it is that it is aero, but doesn't ride like an aero bike. The ride is incredibly similar to my Z5 which is one of my favorite riding bikes of all time. Plenty stiff but not overly harsh.

that looks rather nice. i still like my Z5 SLi...but this would be a nice addition.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

raptor03

by raptor03

bikewithnoname wrote:I saw one of these at the weekend and they look extremely cool in the flesh. No idea if it's aero etc but it certainly turns heads which, let's be honest, is part of the appeal

really agree with this. I agree with people saying that it looks a little funny in pictures, but I always wonder if they've seen it in person. Looks pretty sick.

Real nice picture up there anyway, you've got a great looking bike!

Sasmf

by Sasmf

Trying to post some pics of my ESX.

Sasmf

by Sasmf

image by julian_barnum, on Flickr

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Wow, that looks amazing

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

madcow wrote:I have one and can say I love it. I won't say it feels more aero, I think that while it is more aero that is probably not something that is felt. What I like most about it is that it is aero, but doesn't ride like an aero bike. The ride is incredibly similar to my Z5 which is one of my favorite riding bikes of all time. Plenty stiff but not overly harsh.

I like those cranks... What's the latest on those.. Still OFF
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package