Zipp 202 Firecrest

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sparks

by Sparks

I would like to know if any one on the forum has experience of this wheel set?

I currently own a set of Enve 6.7's which I really enjoy on flat and rolling terrain but feel a lower profile wheel set would be more beneficial for the short steep climbs near by. Also I find the deep section front of the Enve's a little draining when it's windy.

Any flexing issues or hub problems (I've read there is a new hub for 2014).

Thanks
2013 Pinarello Dogma 65.1
2014 Cannodale SS Evo

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Why not 3.4 out of curiosity?

I also own 6.7's as well as 3.4's and 2013 Zipp 404's and it's a hard choice some days.

202's are nice from what I've seen but I have no experience on them.
carbonLORD.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asv

by asv

202 tubs are a great climbing wheel but I don't understand the point of the 202 clincher when Enve 3.4s can be built up around the same weight. My 3.4 clinchers with alchemy hubs weigh in at 1420 grams with rim strips.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

They're a damn nice wheel. The new hubs are a good change from past versions (and there are a LOT of past versions in just the last couple years as they made running changes.

They're a 32mm depth front and rear and have damn near no cross wind response... The weights are published.

Maybe the biggest win is at the brake track. If you're talking clinchers, Zipps braking is the best in the carbon clinch class right now. Zero heat issues, very consistent feel.

Sparks

by Sparks

Carbon Lord:

I've not owned a Zipp wheelset and now that they are offering an improved hub I'm keen to give them a try, the aesthetics of the 3.4's don't do it for me this either.

asv:

Zipp 202 FC are quoted as 1380g which is still a little bit less? Plus If they are that close in weight I prefer the look over the 3.4's.

CharlesM:

Have you tried the new 188/V9 Hub? If so how do you find it in comparison to previous versions (a noticeable difference or subtle change)?

I find the breaking on the Enve 6.7's very good unless it's damp. It will be interesting to feel the difference.

Thanks for your replies.
2014 Cannodale SS Evo

rmerka

by rmerka

Love my 202's. Best wheels I've ever ridden. Braking performance is phenomenal and cross winds are complete non-issue. If had to pick them over again I'd still get the 202's but I'd probably have them custom built with better hubs. Not that the hubs are bad but there are better ones.

springs

by springs

I love my 202 FC too, but at 135 lbs I do feel the wind sometimes. That's why I avoided the 3.4s.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Consider Hyperons.

sawyer

by sawyer

Love my 202s also (2011 version)

Rear hub does have a bit of play and that could be better yes.

Not too bothered by that as I can live without rear pads being close to rims, but it is a downside.

That's the only real downside though. The 32mm depth wide-ish pre FC rim is a nice effort with some aero benefits while still feeling nimble.

I ruled out hyperons on account of poor aerodynamics - wld do my f***ing head in riding around with -15W on my mind all the time :-)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

User Name

by User Name

sawyer wrote: wld do my f***ing head in riding around with -15W on my mind all the time :-)

ha! I've had this exact same thing (and number) in my head in the last few days. I usually race on some cheap carbon/alu aero wheels, but they're a little flexy for pounding out of corners, so I wanna put back on my alu wheels for the stiffness and 'snap'.

So, I was riding home last Thursday from a race in which I didn't do as well as I expected to, and was saying to myself: "that's it! These wheels are going back on my other bike, but can I handle the extra 15w of drag? Nah, stuff it, I'm going back to 28 spokes and aluminium."

Ha :thumbup:

Sparks

by Sparks

There's a trade show on this weekend near me so I'm hoping they will have some of the 2014 Zipp offerings on show. I will take some pictures and post over the weekend.
2014 Cannodale SS Evo

Boralb

by Boralb

202 fc's are noticeably faster, more comfortable and sounds much better than my ksyriums. (I've ridden ksyrium elite, sl, sls)
Conti 4000s 23c tires measure 24.94mm wide on them.
For 32mm profile they are light.
Weights are with 23c 4000s tires/110psi and xg1090 11/28 red cassette on. (1207g/922g)

Sparks

by Sparks

Thanks for the weights and pictures Boralb. Your SS Evo looks great with them!
2014 Cannodale SS Evo

Boralb

by Boralb

Sparks wrote:Thanks for the weights and pictures Boralb. Your SS Evo looks great with them!

You're welcome Sparks, thank you...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The 202 is a good rim. I rebuilt a wheel with one as the original Zipp wheel has a cracked hub. The customer after some discussion went for a Royce Venus hubs. What a delight. Cannot remember the final weight but the rim was 430g if I remember. Not too bad.