Athena EPS - Battery V2 compatible with V1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Yes the new V2 power modules also have diagnostics. 2 way to access it is either directly through the power unit connecting a special tool on the charger plug which is available exclusively for campy technicians. The other method is with the V2 interface. If you have the V1 interface, you will not be able to access it since it is not programmed to do so and you can't update it. If your talking about the new video, that is obviously the new interface.

There is a new V2 interface for either Athena or SR/ Record. It was like that for the V1 too so I don't see your point when you say they still keep individual interfaces... We know that Athena and SR/Record uses different connectors so that people don't mismatch parts.
Last edited by ferrarista on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
██

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

Interesting...Campy also didn't told us about needing to upgrade the Interface to a new version. More things to upgrade!

As for the point of the differences between Athena and Record/SR is just to make sure everyone on this topic/forum is aware that the V2 power module has to be specific for the group, same as the pervious version...you know, not everyone has direct connections to Campy like us or know everything-Campy, so a little more info never hurts ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ferrarista

by ferrarista

I find it weird that Campy didn`t suggest to change the interface. Why would they have done a new version if it was not necessary. Don`t know. Best thing to be sure would be to contact direct Campy NA so they can clarify on the subject.

Anyways your right that not everyone knows about the differences.

cheers
██

Miller

by Miller

Reviving an old thread, I have bought some Athena EPS parts, Ribble UK has it at bargain basement prices right now. Couple of questions for the e-shifting experts.

Does an Athena v2 interface work with a v1 battery and if so, does the v2 interface offer any extra functionality over the v1 interface?

Those Athena/Chorus connectors, how easy to disconnect the cable joining plugs? Look like if you lift the two tiny tabs it should be easy.

More generally, where a frame has an internal wiring harness, do those loose internal cables lead to rattling noises when out on the road?

Ok that was three questions.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

The connectors are more robust compared to the Record/SR version. I still feel they suck and they could of done a better job.

As for rattling, mine do, but I never did anything to prevent the noise. All of my cables are ran inside the frame [from the handlebars to the derailleurs]. There are some way's to prevent this, but I have never attempted to resolve the noises [not that bad].

I ran the V1 version power module to the saddle since I do not have a saddle bag. It just barely fit between the saddle rails and stuffed as far as I could up inside the saddle. Then I stepped up and bought the V2 version and that was more appealing.

markyboy

by markyboy

I have the v1 system at the moment and I have ordered a c60 so I will need the internal battery v2, I don't want to buy the v2 interface if the v1 works with the v2 battery.
Anyone tried this yet? i know I need a new charger any info would be great.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Yes, I have done it with both versions [SR/Athena] and had no problems. Not all v1 interfaces work with all v2 power units. If you search this, Graeme has mentioned that in the past. I would trust him a lot more than me.

Yeah, I know the search function is poor, but it's there somewhere.