Clincher Tire Suggestion 700x25?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rick

by Rick

Conti is always my go-to tire. I use 25mm on the rear and 23mm in front (or 24mm in rear when I can find them.).
But I will have to admit that I just bought a pair of Vittoria Open Corsa Pro SR, 24mm to try. No data yet.

JBV

by JBV

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flyfishing3

by Flyfishing3

another guy who loves the Conti's.

i also like the Schwalbe Ultremo zx in 25.

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Timely thread since I need some fair weather clinchers for Enve 3.4 wheels.

Forget about negative hearsay and internet rumour - is there anyone actually riding on 23C or 25C Vittoria Open Corsa CX or SC tires that isn't happy with their ride quality and overall performance?

I am not bothered by needing to replace the tires in <2000 miles. My riding time is precious so I want the nicest feeling clincher available.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@ JBV - funny you mention Bontrager R3. I have just swapped tyres around, put my Conti GP 4000S onto my steel bike and Bontrager R3's onto my Trek. I run 23 front. 25 rear on all my clinchers whenever possible.
The Bontragers feel fast, so far have been puncture proof and not lost any grip with water runoff on the roads. They also feel a bit more comfortable than the Contis, and weigh 191g for the 23 and 202g for the 25, so seen as this is WW
The Conti Gp4000S clincher and GP 4000 / Competitions have been my default winter tyres for the last 4 years. After trying Michelin and Vittorias with limited success I am interested in seeing how the Bontragers go long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

r_mutt

by r_mutt

I agree with those who say that the Conti's feel dead. No suppleness at all. I've had pretty good luck with Michelin pro 3's nd 4's. I hit something on the road at high speed and tore a sidewall on my Pro 4 Comp Service Course which lead me to believe that they can be more sensitive than something like the Conti, but the Pro 4 Endurance seems much more durable (than the Pro 4 Comp Sevice Course) in the casing and tread compound at the expense of ride quality. Still, ride quality is still much better than the Continental 4000S.

mriddle

by mriddle

I love Veloflex however, they have a serious measuring problem. Their 23s are the same size that their 22s were. Now their 25s are not even 23 size. Italian marketing I guess. I have gone back to Vittoria, they are true to size in all categories.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Wow glad I could help bring up a lively debate here! Honestly, I'm thinking I'm going to play it a bit safe here and do the tried and true Conti Grand Prix 4000s. I just can't seem to find any flaws about them aside from less of a "feel" than the Vittoria's. On the other hand, I have read a few reviews that aren't totally set on the Vittoria's durability/resistance.

My roads aren't especially great and think I would just feel better on the Conti's, maybe feel more confidence? It is a tough choice and I'll still think a bit and let people keep posting....
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Has anyone had issues with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 25 and the beads? Mine have strings coming off the bead. I keep cutting them but they keep appearing.

I'd get Veloflex Corsa/Master 25 if it were me. They ride much nicer than Conti GP 4000.

mikeyc

by mikeyc

I agree with the previous posters about the Conti's feeling dead. I had the GP4000S on my Enve 45 rims and although they are very grippy on wet roads, they feel absolutely dead compared to my Vittoria Corsa Evos. The Vittoria's roll faster, feel more supple, and are simply just a joy to ride on. I thought the Contis were good until I tried the Vittoria's and now I can't go back.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

SolidSnake03 wrote:Wow glad I could help bring up a lively debate here! Honestly, I'm thinking I'm going to play it a bit safe here and do the tried and true Conti Grand Prix 4000s. I just can't seem to find any flaws about them aside from less of a "feel" than the Vittoria's. On the other hand, I have read a few reviews that aren't totally set on the Vittoria's durability/resistance.

My roads aren't especially great and think I would just feel better on the Conti's, maybe feel more confidence? It is a tough choice and I'll still think a bit and let people keep posting....

Another good option for 25's are Vittoria Paves. I train on them all winter long. I most certainly don't want to change a tube when it's below 30 F!

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Check out Vredestein Fortezza tricomp 25mm. Very good tires!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWRMQW1b-6g#t=90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am curious about the Schwalbe One 25mm.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

sawyer

by sawyer

RedRacer wrote:Timely thread since I need some fair weather clinchers for Enve 3.4 wheels.

Forget about negative hearsay and internet rumour - is there anyone actually riding on 23C or 25C Vittoria Open Corsa CX or SC tires that isn't happy with their ride quality and overall performance?

I am not bothered by needing to replace the tires in <2000 miles. My riding time is precious so I want the nicest feeling clincher available.

I've got a fair amount of experience on tubs and clincher CX and SCs over 5 or 6 years.

Puncture resistance is so-so but within tolerance in summer - you can't have it all

Wet weather grip of the CXs is a major problem however. Been down once on account of it and not keen to repeat that.

Hence they released the SC. Which is grippier and a nice piece of rubber.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Flyfishing3

by Flyfishing3

bombertodd wrote:Has anyone had issues with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 25 and the beads? Mine have strings coming off the bead. I keep cutting them but they keep appearing.

funny you say that, i just thought it was me with a missed place brake pad rub. I actually put 2 drops of clear finger nail polish on each side and that seemed to stop the string unravel.

overall, i was very satisfied with roll out, wear and grip.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikeyc

by mikeyc

sawyer wrote:
RedRacer wrote:Timely thread since I need some fair weather clinchers for Enve 3.4 wheels.

I've got a fair amount of experience on tubs and clincher CX and SCs over 5 or 6 years.

Puncture resistance is so-so but within tolerance in summer - you can't have it all

Wet weather grip of the CXs is a major problem however. Been down once on account of it and not keen to repeat that.

Hence they released the SC. Which is grippier and a nice piece of rubber.

Oops, I also went down this summer on my CX when I hit a wet patch and foolishly hit the brakes. Other than that they're great though...