Clincher Tire Suggestion 700x25?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

newnan3

by newnan3

Got a few pairs of Michelin Pro4s im dying to put on after my 4000Ss wear out. Problem is those things last forever....I really want to wait til the spring to put the Pro4s on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

desperado95219

by desperado95219

I ride Conti 25's on my tandem, but have been using Veloflex and or Schwalbe Ultremos (R's and now ZX's) on my road bikes. I like the Schwalbe's feel and handling, but I too have noticed a lot of problems with stringing....haven't tried the nail polish idea!

chickenbourne

by chickenbourne

I have Open Paves and much prefer the feel over GP4000s which they replaced. I've ridden through an entire UK countryside winter and RvV without a single puncture and I'm not light. The green doesn't match my bike either but it is a small price worth paying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmeloy

by Jmeloy

Another vote for GP4000s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

I ended up going with a pair of Conti Grand Prix 4000s 25's. got a pretty good deal on them at the local shop where as the Vittoria's would have been a special order and full price, honestly that was the final deciding factor for me.

Initial ride on the 4000s confirms that they definitely feel much smoother and grip better than the Mavic tires that came stock on my Ksyrium Elite's. The ride is noticeably a bit "deader" however, having ridden Conti before this isn't anything new to me.

I do really want to try the Vittoria's but right now the deal was too good to pass up for something I know is a very solid part. Maybe come Spring time or if I build up another bike I'll go Vittoria....

Also, thanks so much for the suggestions everyone, I really am interested in the Vittora Pave's especially :D
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Redracer - Vittoria CX rides and handles great but like others I can confirm it is not the tire you want if the road is wet or might get wet. Lost rear traction climbing, lost front and rear traction coming out of a track stand at a stop light. Never went down but the bike was squirming all over the place. They also cut easier then most. Good weather use only.

I vote for Conti also: 4000 GPS in 25 mm. I liked the Open Pave's in 24 mm but they too cut up more then the Conti.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

sawyer

by sawyer

Mr.Gib wrote:Redracer - Vittoria CX rides and handles great but like others I can confirm it is not the tire you want if the road is wet or might get wet. Lost rear traction climbing, lost front and rear traction coming out of a track stand at a stop light. Never went down but the bike was squirming all over the place. They also cut easier then most. Good weather use only.

I vote for Conti also: 4000 GPS in 25 mm. I liked the Open Pave's in 24 mm but they too cut up more then the Conti.

+1 to all that ... as well-judged as your views on Lance Armstrong before it was fashionable to regard him as a c**t :thumbup:

I miss that "debate" :lol:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I miss it too. But I also have no problem admitting that I loved watching Lance run the tables at the Tour. No suspense as to who would win but it was entertaining.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

paulm2322

by paulm2322

I've had quite a few punctures on my R3's in the last year. 700x23. Good, comfortable tyres in the dry though. Is the difference between 23 and 25 only comfort?
You can't 'out train' a bad diet : )

JMT

by JMT

I like several aspects of the gp4000s but I have on two different tires gotten openings in the sidewall large enough for the tube to poke out. These openings were perfectly radial cuts so I do not think they were from hitting anything. So far not a single penetration puncture though (one snakebite but that was expected given the circumstances).

RedRacer

by RedRacer

sawyer wrote:
RedRacer wrote:Timely thread since I need some fair weather clinchers for Enve 3.4 wheels.

Forget about negative hearsay and internet rumour - is there anyone actually riding on 23C or 25C Vittoria Open Corsa CX or SC tires that isn't happy with their ride quality and overall performance?

I am not bothered by needing to replace the tires in <2000 miles. My riding time is precious so I want the nicest feeling clincher available.

I've got a fair amount of experience on tubs and clincher CX and SCs over 5 or 6 years.

Puncture resistance is so-so but within tolerance in summer - you can't have it all

Wet weather grip of the CXs is a major problem however. Been down once on account of it and not keen to repeat that.

Hence they released the SC. Which is grippier and a nice piece of rubber.

I spoke with two Vittoria reps and they both said the same thing - for 2014 the Open Corsa CX and CS have the same compound and tread, the only difference with the CS is the natural color sidewall.
The way I understood it the CX has been upgraded to the CS compound for improved overall grip. Maybe all the wet weather horror stories are with the older CS tread and compound?